News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

JD80

Placement is definitely the only reason I dislike it -- I think the figure itself is good.

I think it makes the Endless Hallway almost superfluous; people are going to look at the Hatbox figure instead of down the hallway. There are now two things competing for attention in a pretty small area.

I'll wait until I go down, but it really depends on the perspective of sitting back in the buggie vs. leaning forward and taking pictures.

lazyboy97o

My guess for why Hattie isn't outside the attic: The doom buggies almost immediately lean backwards after leaving the attic, meaning you wouldn't be able to see him anyway from that angle. They say you briefly get to see him at DL. Maybe there is a slightly longer delay before the doom buggies lean backwards but not much.
It is possible to modify the track to change the rotation of the vehicles.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My guess for why Hattie isn't outside the attic: The doom buggies almost immediately lean backwards after leaving the attic, meaning you wouldn't be able to see him anyway from that angle. They say you briefly get to see him at DL. Maybe there is a slightly longer delay before the doom buggies lean backwards but not much.
You get plenty of time to see him in DL; like the orientation of the Omni was changed to accommodate it. There’s no reason why it couldn’t have been altered in Orlando. It’s a relatively simple alteration of the guide rail, something Paris did in 1992 and obviously Anaheim also did.

Epcot82Guy

I actually think the wallpaper is the biggest issue. If they had done slightly toned down blue lighting, continued the wood from the endless hallway behind Hattie (creating some continuity there) and going more dark lighting behind him (making the "moonlight" idea more clear) - I think it actually could work. It also would keep the eye going back and forth between Hattie and the hallway more easily, potentially.

Obviously the story is a different issue. But, it's the stark blue/purple vs. red that creates the biggest issue for me.

VicariousCorpse

I actually think the wallpaper is the biggest issue. If they had done slightly toned down blue lighting, continued the wood from the endless hallway behind Hattie (creating some continuity there) and going more dark lighting behind him (making the "moonlight" idea more clear) - I think it actually could work. It also would keep the eye going back and forth between Hattie and the hallway more easily, potentially.

Obviously the story is a different issue. But, it's the stark blue/purple vs. red that creates the biggest issue for me.
But it was like that before the addition of the Hatbox Ghost. The lighting just makes it more noticeable.

1701468482965.png

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

But it's always been like that. The lighting just makes it more noticeable.

I know. I was meaning it as a change. The lighting dramatically changes how the wallpaper is viewed. I would assume the original intent was to create separation with the Endless Hallway so you focused on the Hallway. Now, you have competing focal points. One way to help that, from a design perspective, is to create a consistent background. Plus, the eye would naturally be drawn down the hallway, since you are turning to face backwards.

It's not ideal, but it would help the presentation IMHO.

VicariousCorpse

Not quite true. Not only the lighting but that wallpaper from the endless hallway was not always in that scene.
Your right. Bad wording. I just meant it didn't change because of the Hatbox Ghost, it was already there. It was extended from the other end of the hall in 2007 to accommodate the new effect on the other side where the eyes begin before the wallpaper.

Disney Analyst

Why are they wasting resources on these sorts of things?

The last thing we should be asking for is Disney to not invest and improve old attractions. This is basically what they've done at MK forever, leave the rides as they are with minimal refurbs or improvements.

It actually feels like WDW management is taking a page out of Disneyland's book and actually plussing existing attractions.

The question should be, why is WDW not adding more capacity? They have the land, and they certainly have the resources.

Hopefully adding capacity is coming with this "60 billion finance boost" for the parks.

Fido Chuckwagon

You get plenty of time to see him in DL; like the orientation of the Omni was changed to accommodate it. There’s no reason why it couldn’t have been altered in Orlando. It’s a relatively simple alteration of the guide rail, something Paris did in 1992 and obviously Anaheim also did.
So you’re telling us Jimmy Hoffa isn’t buried in the attic, and people claiming there is a classified reason why Disney couldn’t put HB in or just outside the attic are full of it?

UNCgolf

The last thing we should be asking for is Disney to not invest and improve old attractions. This is basically what they've done at MK forever, leave the rides as they are with minimal refurbs or improvements.

It actually feels like WDW management is taking a page out of Disneyland's book and actually plussing existing attractions.

The question should be, why is WDW not adding more capacity? They have the land, and they certainly have the resources.

Hopefully adding capacity is coming with this "60 billion finance boost" for the parks.

Yeah, while I think this specific scene was actually diminished with the addition of the Hatbox Ghost figure, I certainly don't want them to dispense with the idea of improving existing attractions with new technology etc. -- although adding more capacity is definitely even more important.

Disney Analyst

Yeah, while I think this specific scene was actually diminished with the addition of the Hatbox Ghost figure, I certainly don't want them to dispense with the idea of improving existing attractions with new technology etc. -- although adding more capacity is definitely even more important.

I think Disney has to and should do both, especially at WDW.

But let us keep in mind, Disney did this because enough fan chatter warranted them to bring The Hatbox Ghost to MK.

celluloid

I think Disney has to and should do both, especially at WDW.

But let us keep in mind, Disney did this because enough fan chatter warranted them to bring The Hatbox Ghost to MK.

It certainly had zero to do with the fact that Disney had a 200 million dollar movie project with The Hatbox Ghost as a main character. Not possible.

TrainsOfDisney

Placement is definitely the only reason I dislike it -- the figure itself is good.

I think it makes the Endless Hallway almost superfluous; people are going to look at the Hatbox figure instead of down the hallway. There are now two things competing for attention in a pretty small area.
That’s my concern as well. I’m not concerned with the storyline too much since it’s kinda all over the place in this attraction anyways. But the hallway is a really cool effect and it’s sad that this is now competing. But it’s still a plus for the attraction.

Cliff

Ok...so I understand..

The ghosts appear because Madame Liota conjures them up for us, we turn the corner and BAM...they are all there as we move forward.

But...this hatbox ghots was NOT conjured up by Madam Liota?? This guy is all by itself and it conjured itself up at the begining of the ride??

Im super confused. What is the proper story here? (Or am I not supposed to care about story anymore?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom