News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok...so I understand..

The ghosts appear because Madame Liota conjures them up for us, we turn the corner and BAM...they are all there as we move forward.

But...this hatbox ghots was NOT conjured up by Madam Liota?? This guy is all by itself and it conjured itself up at the begining of the ride??

Im super confused. What is the proper story here? (Or am I not supposed to care about story anymore?)
Well, we begin the attraction with a ghost making terrible puns at us. Whose sympathetic vibrations conjured him? Where was the clairaudience seance which revved up the host with the verbiose?

celluloid

Well, we begin the attraction with a ghost making terrible puns at us. Whose sympathetic vibrations conjured him? Where was the clairaudience seance which revved up the host with the verbiose?

Do not confuse presence with fully materialized. If you listen to the excellent script it is right in there.
This is the first ghost to rock against that flow.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Do not confuse presence with fully materialized. If you listen to the excellent script it is right in there.

No, it’s pretty clear those WED guys were lousy at their job. Or maybe people defend modern Disneys decisions like it’s a sport? Or just play contrarian for the hell of it?

JD80

Right, and it could be a themed pre-recorded spiel and not a live spiel.

Actually it can't. Because it's a safety procedure it can not be potentially mixed in with the show. A live announcement breaks immersion to make sure people take care and help awareness.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The two ride buildings are not similar in all ways. I wish I could say more about it, because it actually is fascinating. But putting it out there plainly would cause problems.
I think some of the details came out during the track breakage a few years ago. People should research those posts and draw their conclusion from that discussion.

yensidtlaw1969

This was more of an unintentional flaw after the scene was redesigned in 2007.

The original portrait hall had no windows. So it was as if the storm in the stretching room died down by the time we got to the music room, then started again before getting to the great hall, then was gone by the graveyard.
True - but as you state, the weather in the ride seems to be in a constant state of fluctuation, with sometimes only moments between changes. Lightning and rolling clouds in the Ballroom to a clear, starry sky in the Graveyard with only your short time in the Attic as a buffer. Strange, too, that the Thunder sound effect is now played in the Music Room despite there being no storm activity visible in the window.

Point still being that there are some places in which trying to find consistent logic within The Haunted Mansion is a bit of a lost cause, and that in some places the inconsistency is part of the fun. Though I fully understand there are valid bits of criticism that can be leveled at this new install.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Actually it can't. Because it's a safety procedure it can not be potentially mixed in with the show. A live announcement breaks immersion to make sure people take care and help awareness.
Dunno where you get that, ever ride Gringott's?

Animaniac93-98

True - but as you state, the weather in the ride seems to be in a constant state of fluctuation, with sometimes only moments between changes. Lighting and rolling clouds in the Ballroom to a clear, starry sky in the Graveyard with only your short time in the Attic as a buffer. Strange, too, that the Thunder sound effect is now played in the Music Room despite there being no storm activity visible in the window.

I've never noticed that. Do they actually have thunder in that specific room, or is it just audible noise from down the hall?

yensidtlaw1969

I've never noticed that. Do they actually have thunder in that specific room, or is it just audible noise from down the hall?
I believe they do play it in there, since 2007. As I recall it was very loud in there that first day - louder than it was even in the Changing Portrait Hall. Thankfully they toned it down.

So you’re telling us Jimmy Hoffa isn’t buried in the attic, and people claiming there is a classified reason why Disney couldn’t put HB in or just outside the attic are full of it?
Reread Martin's post - "the orientation of the Omni was changed to accommodate it. There’s no reason why it couldn’t have been altered in Orlando". It's possible to change the direction the Doombuggies face, and they did for the HBG at Disneyland. But that happens to have nothing to do with why he couldn't be put in that spot for WDW, and Martin's post doesn't suggest otherwise.

splah

it could be better integrated with the hallway (and less competitive) if he had one foot propped up on the first step into the hall.

the muddy footprints don't really make sense with the way the door is placed. he walked, did an about face, while scooting back into that corner?

Tony the Tigger

Ok...so I understand..

The ghosts appear because Madame Liota conjures them up for us, we turn the corner and BAM...they are all there as we move forward.

But...this hatbox ghots was NOT conjured up by Madam Liota?? This guy (sorry, I dont know what gender it identifies with...please let me know) is all by itself and it conjured itself up at the begining of the ride??

Im super confused. What is the proper story here? (Or am I not supposed to care about story anymore?)
If you saw the movie, he is not just another haunt. He is the one keeping the other 999 there. He follows his own rules.

Ergo, the placement is fine.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Wasn't never a big fan of the placement, but why is he so brightly lighted? In Disneyland he has more depth and shadows and lurking in the dark. In MK he has a spotlight on him and is brighter than Tinkerbell. Not to mention the harsh change of the red dark corridor to bright blue beacon. Not a fan.

yensidtlaw1969

Wasn't never a big fan of the placement, but why is he so brightly lighted? In Disneyland he has more depth and shadows and lurking in the dark. In MK he has a spotlight on him and is brighter than Tinkerbell. Not to mention the harsh change of the red dark corridor to bright blue beacon. Not a fan.
He's not actually that bright. He just looks that way on certain cameras.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom