News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

CraftyFox

I know the “no ghosts before Leota” was never a hard and fast rule when the attraction was originally built but I feel like a full apparition this early in the attraction would throw off the tonal buildup? I guess we have the shadow on the music room floor but the room itself is so dark I’ve honestly seen people miss that completely on their first ride through.

Rich Brownn

I never saw that ...or heard about that as a thing... There was a bride...but no groom I know of....
One of the refurbishments in Disneyland added the wedding march being played on a broken piano in the attic, and the pop-up heads saying "I do!" as they jumped up... But never remember a groom figure in the attic with a disappearing head... does anyone have a photo of this?
The HBG was there for a very short time after opening. The effect didn't work with the lighting so it was removed... and a legend was born

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is just wrong. The ghosts aren’t supposed to materialize until after the seance. It literally defeats the purpose of the storytelling lines in the show.
The ride has no linear narrative structure.

Walt and the imagineers had competing ideas for the ride and the result was a ride by committee. It's just a series of vignettes.

E.g., we see the ghost of Leota in the crystal ball before "the ghosts materialize." We also see them in aging portrait, and in the portraits lit by lightning. And we certainly hear one narrating. Then there's the ghostly footsteps, the shadow of a ghost playing the harpsichord, the busts in the library whose facing follows you.

Drdcm

Such a bizarre way of wording the announcement. It’s like HM buzz word vomit… I’m looking forward to the update though.

Drdcm

The ride has no linear narrative structure.

Walt and the imagineers had competing ideas for the ride and the result was a ride by committee. It's just a series of vignettes.

E.g., we see the ghost of Leota in the crystal ball before "the ghosts materialize." We also see them in aging portrait, and in the portraits lit by lightning. And we certainly hear one narrating. Then there's the ghostly footsteps, the shadow of a ghost playing the harpsichord, the busts in the library whose facing follows you.
I always took it as the ghosts are there, but they don’t “materialize” (you can’t see them directly) until after leota. But you make a good point about leota herself being visible.

SpectroMan93

I think it helps that our Haunted Mansion has the three scenes prior to the endless hallway that Disneyland does not. By the time we get to the hatbox ghost, we’ll already been through the portrait hallway, the library, and the stairs. As much as I would prefer him after the seance, at least he won’t be thrown in right at the beginning.

And it could kind of create a moment with the coffin ghost. We hear him shout “let me out of here”, while the hatbox ghost just stands there laughing.

Also just want to be clear that I absolutely hated the initial announcement of his placement, but I’m processing it now and trying to be optimistic lol.

aladdin2007

I think it helps that our Haunted Mansion has the three scenes prior to the endless hallway that Disneyland does not. By the time we get to the hatbox ghost, we’ll already been through the portrait hallway, the library, and the stairs. As much as I would prefer him after the seance, at least he won’t be thrown in right at the beginning.

And it could kind of create a moment with the coffin ghost. We hear him shout “let me out of here”, while the hatbox ghost just stands there laughing.

Also just want to be clear that I absolutely hated the initial announcement of his placement, but I’m processing it now and trying to be optimistic lol.
Agree,,,My concern is the focus or lighting for the hatbox ghost is going to ruin the eye which should be looking down the endless hallway and only down the endless hallway...., it's such a great classic scene on its own it and shouldn't be added to or tampered with. Near it? maybe I guess,,,is the chair literally right there or down a ways just a bit? Maybe we need to take a youtube ride to refresh on it, but I feel like this is being shoehorned in. They have always done great with mansion updates before, but now these teams working there I think are clueless. Will see, if the backlash is bad enough,,,...which already seems to be......Disney better be careful anymore they already ripped out one of their best attractions....they can't keep doing this stuff. They wonder why attendance is waning...

Im starting to think the backside of him will be facing the hallway via a wall and you wont see him till you pass and the doombuggy turns slightly,? is that possible?

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

As far as alternate placements go, I'd put him next to the demon clock. It's at least close to the Seance Room and you could do something like the original version and have Hatbox Ghost's head switching synced to the clock chimes.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
NBL - Not Before Leota

Tweet was written by Chat GPT it Seems

How long and how many does it take to run power and screw feet to the ground? 14 Imagineers who are right out of school, 6 Union electricians, 2 CEOs watching drooling over new movie IP inclusion when it's really history and a OG story, and 74+ days.

Seriously, Is there a calendar for betting on what day he appears? A go fund me or government involvement should be establish for the correct location at this point.

Imagineering is Dead

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom