Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

Goofyernmost

But all of that is part of the package. People have to eat. If you leave to eat off property you lose those hours of entertainment. Or basically standing in line
You don't leave the parks to eat. You eat before you go and a quick service lunch. Then later in the afternoon I always, always took a break and left the parks to eat a good balanced meal offsite, rest my feet and re-energize for the evening in the parks. It took no longer then going back to the resort to rest or finding and getting to whatever ADR one has made. If it is in different park you take as much time as I do. The idea that you save so much time onsite, depending on buses or boats to get you around is all smoke and mirrors, spending endless hours 6 months ago trying to get an ADR for the guess about what you might be hungry for when you are there to me is ridiculous. If you take a bus at closing I will be snugly in my room offsite sometimes before you can even get on the bus to be taken to the resort. And I will only be paying around $50.00 per night for a place to sleep that I leave empty all day while at the parks, just like you. Sorry, I don't see the value in that. So even if it does cut into my time in the parks I haven't spent my kids college education to store air in an empty room all day long and will and did go more often so I have seen everything multiple times because I didn't spend it all in one trip.

NickMaio

We go everyother year or so. Though the last trip we spent a lot less on stuff than ever before. That was more because I refused to pay inflated prices for trinkets. Though the money gouge has really turned us off from Disney so it will likely be seveal years before the next trip. I saw service decline as the prices went up & we stay on property & do meal plans. That all made me rethink vacation destinations.Hoipe it was worth making semi loyal customers into meh customers.
I completely agree. We also used to go every year. Saved pennies or put the trip on credit, but we made it happen every year.
Now not as much. I'm not sure what WDW is planning but keeping existing customers does not seem to be it.

VaderTron

Original Poster
Except theres not Hours of Entertainment.
What is your actual ride time and how long are standing in Line all day?

When you watch 3 hour football game or a 3 hour concert you are getting 3 Hours on entertainment. You would not inlcude The time waiting in line to Get in The Centre or stadium.
I don't know. I would agree that you can have hours and hours of entertainment. If you plan well with Fastpasses and decide not to stand in extra long standard lines you can do a lot for the admission cost. So that part I agree with. The ticket price is still a bit high, but there's some value left. As the poster stated, though, the remainder of the value is lost when you realize you must either 1) over pay significantly for OK food or 2) leave the park to get food elsewhere and thus waste time you could be spending in the park. And to have to settle for a room that's farther away and not part of the Disney immersion to find value is also discouraging. As the poster is implying, yes you can still go to Disney and it is affordable. The issue for people like me is I don't feel like rewarding Disney with my money for making it harder on me and more expensive to enjoy what was once so much better of a product.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Except theres not Hours of Entertainment.
What is your actual ride time and how long are standing in Line all day?

When you watch 3 hour football game or a 3 hour concert you are getting 3 Hours on entertainment. You would not inlcude The time waiting in line to Get in The Centre or stadium.
ok so it also depends on how you define "entertainment". I don't stand in line all day because Disney for me is way more than the rides in fact in MK I ride exactly 4 rides. HM, POTC, people mover and buzz lightyear. I don't do any of the mountains or runaway train. I'll pop into Hall of Presidents only if I'm hot and want a quick nap.
So yes I am getting hours of entertainment because there is so much more than the rides. Just me. I could sit on a bench in liberty square for a few hours and be happy.

eliza61nyc

That is part of the problem with so many people today. If their butts aren't planted riding in a seat it isn't entertaining. The ambiance the street shows, the attention to detail, the effort put into the parks and even the queue's for theming are all part of the experience. It was more that way before the evil Fastpass was born, but, it still exists today. The bright colors, the forced perspective all of the experience is what you pay for not just the rides. They are just part of the overall show. It is that very attitude that you have that created the disaster that is Fastpass. It caused upset and frustration in the standby lines that just plainly didn't exits before FP except with a few Type A's that live their lives as a marathon and never stop to smell the roses. It's to bad now that so many miss so many things while they think that they are seeing so much more. They are not and it's a real shame.

Amen,

One of my favorite experiences, I was in Epcot and right between MS and TT there was a small area with a water play area and bench. I sat next to a mom of young kids, looked about 4-5 and they were happily playing in the water. we chatted and she said t hey were there about 2 hours. I thought to myself, most folks would not allow themselves the simply joy of watching your children play for a few hours. when I mentioned that to her, she just shrugged and smiled as if she had just reveled the secret of life to me. lol. no most folks would be berating their spouse for "wasting their money" by not forcing the kids on every ride and doing what I call the "Epcot death march"..

Bpmorley

You don't leave the parks to eat. You eat before you go and a quick service lunch. Then later in the afternoon I always, always took a break and left the parks to eat a good balanced meal offsite, rest my feet and re-energize for the evening in the parks. It took no longer then going back to the resort to rest or finding and getting to whatever ADR one has made. If it is in different park you take as much time as I do. The idea that you save so much time onsite, depending on buses or boats to get you around is all smoke and mirrors, spending endless hours 6 months ago trying to get an ADR for the guess about what you might be hungry for when you are there to me is ridiculous. If you take a bus at closing I will be snugly in my room offsite sometimes before you can even get on the bus to be taken to the resort. And I will only be paying around $50.00 per night for a place to sleep that I leave empty all day while at the parks, just like you. Sorry, I don't see the value in that. So even if it does cut into my time in the parks I haven't spent my kids college education to store air in an empty room all day long and will and did go more often so I have seen everything multiple times because I didn't spend it all in one trip.
I'm confused. You say you dont leave to eat, then you do.

Phonedave

I realize this Econ 101, but it all comes down to value. What's it worth to the average guest.

There was a time, believe it or not, when you could feel like you received a value, especially when purchasing park admission.

Since then, we've (as a whole) weathered price increases and money grabs at every turn, but still felt like we were getting a fair deal.

Now, we feel like we're being gouged.

This has been my story for the last 5 to 7 years or so.

When I first started going to WDW as an adult, it was in the the late 90's. New wife, new kids, new house, new career, and now a whole bunch of discretionary income.

We went to WDW and it was, to me EXPENSIVE. However, after being there a day, I felt as if my money was well spent. I could see the value I was getting, from the CMs to the attractions to the state of the park, to the food, etc.

Now, fast froward 20+ years. Different wife, bigger family, much more established career. I can afford to go to WDW. My wife and I make good money and we realize just how fortunate we are, but we also value our money. At this point, WDW no longer has that value. While WDW is no longer as expensive TO ME as it was in the 90's it is of lesser value, to the point where we don't go quite as often, nor do we spend as much as we used to.

Phonedave

That is part of the problem with so many people today. If their butts aren't planted riding in a seat it isn't entertaining. The ambiance the street shows, the attention to detail, the effort put into the parks and even the queue's for theming are all part of the experience. It was more that way before the evil Fastpass was born, but, it still exists today. The bright colors, the forced perspective all of the experience is what you pay for not just the rides. They are just part of the overall show. It is that very attitude that you have that created the disaster that is Fastpass. It caused upset and frustration in the standby lines that just plainly didn't exits before FP except with a few Type A's that live their lives as a marathon and never stop to smell the roses. It's to bad now that so many miss so many things while they think that they are seeing so much more. They are not and it's a real shame.

But it's not there. The maintenance of the parks is not what it used to be. Unique interactions are no where near the same level, Many fun, whimsical, or surprise type items have been removed to make room for more merch - which has also become homogenized. Not to mention the crowds - yes that is something that is a catch 22, so many people attending, yet supposedly prices are too high. But it is very hard to enjoy the atmosphere of MSUA and the forced perspective of the street and castle when if you stop moving you get run over my a stroller or somebody steps on you.

Goofyernmost

I'm confused. You say you dont leave to eat, then you do.
I don't leave to eat every meal, it's not all that difficult to understand, but, I do leave for dinner and rest before spending another 3 or 4 hours in the park. My point was it makes no difference where you eat, while you are eating, while you are waiting for your reservation to be honored, while you were traveling to the restaurant of your choice, you are doing the same thing I do only on property instead of offsite. It is just as easy and just as time consuming either way. Nothing really gained, just that same smoke and mirrors I spoke about earlier. I suppose if you think you saved time, it is almost the same as actually saving time. Who knows?

Goofyernmost

But it's not there. The maintenance of the parks is not what it used to be. Unique interactions are no where near the same level, Many fun, whimsical, or surprise type items have been removed to make room for more merch - which has also become homogenized. Not to mention the crowds - yes that is something that is a catch 22, so many people attending, yet supposedly prices are too high. But it is very hard to enjoy the atmosphere of MSUA and the forced perspective of the street and castle when if you stop moving you get run over my a stroller or somebody steps on you.
I'm sorry, but, having attended since 1983 I can tell you, without hesitation, that the place looks 100% better then it did back then and it looked good back then. You don't stop and study forced perspective, it is a situation where your mind is being tricked and it does that if you are walking or standing still, plus the "running into" will not happen if you look behind you before you stop in the middle of the street. That is an example of the current attitude in this country, everyone else is wrong no matter what.

I just left there last Wednesday and I was using a scooter. If I hadn't been extremely alert while I was using it I would have run into and been blamed for hitting hundreds of people all of whom didn't look and just stepped out in front of me. Even when they did look they just kept on moving because, hey, they spent a lot to be there and they weren't going to be a courteous human being and let anyone go ahead of them. Good thing for them that I was a courteous human and stopped or took evasive action to avoid them.

Anders Limpar

This past trip was the first time I took a bottle with me in the morning and filled it at water fountains throughout the trip. We never do sit down meals except maybe once a trip. This time it was at the Brown derby. Mostly though, we get sandwiches at Sunshine Seasons, or Cosmic Rays, etc. We don't tend to do snacks. The rest of my family went a little nuts at Food and Wine but my wife and I kept it to a minimum. In general, we try to limit costs as much as possible.

Even so, it's ridiculously expensive. Stuff seems to breakdown way more than I remember even 10+ years ago. If the rumors of rides not being staffed to capacity and running at capacity are true than that is unforgivable.

I'm someone who might go a little overboard with souvenirs but recently everything seems fairly mediocre. Even t-shirts aren't anything special. Nowadays, I'll buy a Christmas ornament or two and that's it.

I'm really tired of dance parties and cheap fixes. There are plenty of examples in the past where Disney should have spent the money upfront, instead they cutback, delivered a product that was garbage and had to layout more money in the future to fix the problem.

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

We used to go 3 times a year, now we go twice. We used to splurge at deluxe resorts now and then and other than Kidani Villas savannah view last year (which we got a ridiculous discount) we only go value, sometimes moderate. We've even started using my Mom's Marriott points at the Swan and Dolphin, when they can be used. We used to be able to use them no problem. Over the years the point per night cost and blackout dates have increased. We used to do a lot more table service than we do now. We have APs but if we didn't, I would say we might go once a year, If that. Disney Cruise Line has also priced us out. TOO EXPENSIVE!!

We've also cut down on souvenirs. Everything seems so cheaply made now but higher in price. To compare, my Mom has a tie dyed Mickey tee shirt she bought at River Country. That's how you know it's REALLY old since RC has been closed since like 2000. It still looks like it's only a few years old. I bought a Mickey tee shirt a few years ago.. already super faded and has a hole in it. Material they use now is thin and cheap.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but, having attended since 1983 I can tell you, without hesitation, that the place looks 100% better then it did back then and it looked good back then. You don't stop and study forced perspective, it is a situation where your mind is being tricked and it does that if you are walking or standing still, plus the "running into" will not happen if you look behind you before you stop in the middle of the street. That is an example of the current attitude in this country, everyone else is wrong no matter what.

I just left there last Wednesday and I was using a scooter. If I hadn't been extremely alert while I was using it I would have run into and been blamed for hitting hundreds of people all of whom didn't look and just stepped out in front of me. Even when they did look they just kept on moving because, hey, they spent a lot to be there and they weren't going to be a courteous human being and let anyone go ahead of them. Good thing for them that I was a courteous human and stopped or took evasive action to avoid them.
I’ve been going since ‘83 as well, and maintenance is nowhere near what it once was. You can look at the lighting situation throughout the parks and resorts as just one example....

And he didn’t say he “studied” forced perspective, rather that he was trying to enjoy it....

ChipNDale79

I don't leave to eat every meal, it's not all that difficult to understand, but, I do leave for dinner and rest before spending another 3 or 4 hours in the park. My point was it makes no difference where you eat, while you are eating, while you are waiting for your reservation to be honored, while you were traveling to the restaurant of your choice, you are doing the same thing I do only on property instead of offsite. It is just as easy and just as time consuming either way. Nothing really gained, just that same smoke and mirrors I spoke about earlier. I suppose if you think you saved time, it is almost the same as actually saving time. Who knows?

It depends on what your goals are and what your'e doing. If we have the same plans of enjoying world showcase after dinner and we're both already in epcot for the day, then walking over to Tutto and eating is much quicker than walking out of the park, getting on a tram, walking to your car, driving to a restaurant, eating, getting back in your car and driving back to epcot, walking to the tram, taking the tram and going back through the gates.

I agree your probably spending less money, but time is also valuable.

John park hopper

I have been going since WDW opened and I agree the level of maintenance and overall cleanliness of the parks has gone down over the years. Having said that I think it is a function of the shear number of people going, and the attitude of society has changed --I paid my money someone else will clean up my mess. Disney also factors into this decline I don't think they have kept up with staffing to handle the mass of people visiting day after day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol does anyone remember what the actual topic was??
When the Brazil pavilion is gonna open? 🤔
I will share an updated experience myself.

Yesterday we were spending time with one of our friends. She is a BIG WDW fan and has had a pass for years. I haven't mentioned anything about this forum poll or any of our views. Independently she just started sharing comments about the price increase and the lack of value for them. I know you all don't know this person, but if you did you would know how huge it is. They have several nice vehicles and a boat and plenty in the bank account. Her room is all Disney decor. Yet, she said for the first time in years they are going to let their passes run out. It expires Oct 7th. I think we are just seeing the beginning of the damage reports from these poor decisions by Disney.
Most of what’s said is meaningless because it’s completely biased. This...however...is not.
What's interesting is that people think the diehards are who Disney is worried about.

The new money, the younger money... They don't have 'Disney everything,' but have the disposable income to go to the parks, pay for the parties, etc when they want. This is who Disney is currently more worried about.

The diehards will always be diehards. They're hooked. They might **** and moan, but they'll always be back.
Economic/societal models and stat analysis doesn’t agree. Gen X will be less successful than Baby Boomer...Gen Y is tracking lower as well

So it’s young, new money...just without the money.
I'm gonna partially agree with you. Yes they definitely want new money. But at the cost of steady money? They've gotten considerably less out of my pocket the last few years.
Then there’s this...

Lilofan

When the Brazil pavilion is gonna open? 🤔

Most of what’s said is meaningless because it’s completely biased. This...however...is not.

Economic/societal models and stat analysis doesn’t agree. Gen X will be less successful than Baby Boomer...Gen Y is tracking lower as well

So it’s young, new money...just without the money.
Then there’s this...
The Mouse will take anyone's money to keep operating. Who really cares if the family can't pay next month's rent/mortgage/car payment on time. They got money to go where dreams come true. The bill collector can understand, 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom