Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

OneofThree

Economic/societal models and stat analysis doesn’t agree. Gen X will be less successful than Baby Boomer...Gen Y is tracking lower as well

So it’s young, new money...just without the money.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to point out how soft millennials are, but the wealth equation has shifted significantly away from the relevance of wages toward passive income. It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this as Boomer spending evaporates and a greater portion of revenue relies on millennials.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to point out how soft millennials are, but the wealth equation has shifted significantly away from the relevance of wages toward passive income. It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this as Boomer spending evaporates and a greater portion of revenue relies on millennials.
I can’t remember where I saw it...but it was recently...but there was an estimate that as many as 40% of millennials post graduate receive an “allowance” or “stipend” to pay for normal expenses from their parents...

“MOM! can you transfer money to me so I can buy DVC?!?”

I think there’s even mentions of stuff along those lines here...”haven’t altered my spending because my parents have a lot of points”

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

83' must have been a year of budget cuts in the maintenance department, because the parks were pristine in 84' and subsequent years.
That was my point, they looked good then and they look good now and the idea that maintenance is at fault is bogus. They might very well have cut back, but, it didn't show and every year the looks of the place got better. What they have done lately (meaning in the last 5 years) in MK has vastly improved the looks. The vision of the Castle is now unhindered by trees that not only served no purpose but, now it actually resembles what a European Castle looks like when you approach one. Green grass and gardens with statues, etc. The buildings on Main Street are brighter, more colorful and attractive. Fantasyland is far more attractive. The only real problem is that changes have been made and people just don't like change and will not accept that some change is very good. From 2000 to 2010 it wasn't so much a lack of maintenance it was that the whole place had gone into a coma. Nothing new, nothing exciting and nothing that really made one interested and less bored.

Goofyernmost

I’ve been going since ‘83 as well, and maintenance is nowhere near what it once was. You can look at the lighting situation throughout the parks and resorts as just one example....

And he didn’t say he “studied” forced perspective, rather that he was trying to enjoy it....
It depends on what your goals are and what your'e doing. If we have the same plans of enjoying world showcase after dinner and we're both already in epcot for the day, then walking over to Tutto and eating is much quicker than walking out of the park, getting on a tram, walking to your car, driving to a restaurant, eating, getting back in your car and driving back to epcot, walking to the tram, taking the tram and going back through the gates.

I agree your probably spending less money, but time is also valuable.
I don't plan on spending a lot of time on this because it really doesn't matter. However, that light bulb thing is so overblown in quantity and importance that I do not even register that as a problem. Why? Because for all I know the light bulb might have burnt out minutes before I happened to notice it. Light bulbs do burn out and I wonder what the complaint would be if they attempted to change them with a crowd on Main Street. The Grand Floridian was also sighted as having whole strings of lights out like it was a Christmas tree. Those that were missing were missing intentionally as a change in design. The problem was that the Floridian was a class hotel not a circus side show.

I don't know what age you folks were when you first went there but I was 35. Pixie dust just flew past me. I saw the good and the bad and frankly there were more good then bad, but, it existed. Animatronic chickens on Tom Sawyer Island were broken and filthy, they looked awful. The smell of garbage wafting over Main Street around Casey's. I got a ketchup packet with rancid ketchup in it. It was not as pristine and perfect as everyone seems to think it was. If you were guys or girls were kids when you went, you were understandably Pixie Dusted to almost a terminal degree, and if you were grown up, you just weren't paying attention. There were more custodial staff because they had to travel all over sweeping up cigarette butts back then.

As for the time saved, I saw everything without being on a mad dash. If it took a little longer to go to an offsite restaurant that just meant that I got to rest up a little more. I just went there last week and didn't leave because of food because the festival was going on so we nibbled our way around and by the end had filled up so I didn't leave either. I'm not an idiot and if I felt I was going to miss something I would have just gone to a quick service more then once. However, with my limited experience of eating onsite having a 6 o'clock ADR doesn't necessarily get you seated at 6 o'clock. Time can be used up in many different way. And don't get me started on the quality of the food, especially at the food court at POP. I ordered a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich that you could literally ring the grease out of the roll. And then there was my recent breakfast at Be Our Guest that consisted of two poached eggs on a cressant, with two puff pastries and an Ice Tea that I had to get myself like at McDonalds and also had to go to a different spot to get eating utensils and payed just a few pennies shy of $30.00 for that. Sorry, but there is nothing about dining at Disney that has ever been anything but disappointing. It just is sad that a burger at the Counter Service stations was better then a $60 meal in one of the highly touted full service places.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't plan on spending a lot of time on this because it really doesn't matter. However, that light bulb thing is so overblown in quantity and importance that I do not even register that as a problem. Why? Because for all I know the light bulb might have burnt out minutes before I happened to notice it. Light bulbs do burn out and I wonder what the complaint would be if they attempted to change them with a crowd on Main Street. The Grand Floridian was also sighted as having whole strings of lights out like it was a Christmas tree. Those that were missing were missing intentionally as a change in design. The problem was that the Floridian was a class hotel not a circus side show.

I don't know what age you folks were when you first went there but I was 35. Pixie dust just flew past me. I saw the good and the bad and frankly there were more good then bad, but, it existed. Animatronic chickens on Tom Sawyer Island were broken and filthy, they looked awful. The smell of garbage wafting over Main Street around Casey's. I got a ketchup packet with rancid ketchup in it. It was not as pristine and perfect as everyone seems to think it was. If you were guys or girls were kids when you went, you were understandably Pixie Dusted to almost a terminal degree, and if you were grown up, you just weren't paying attention. There were more custodial staff because they had to travel all over sweeping up cigarette butts back then.

As for the time saved, I saw everything without being on a mad dash. If it took a little longer to go to an offsite restaurant that just meant that I got to rest up a little more. I just went there last week and didn't leave because of food because the festival was going on so we nibbled our way around and by the end had filled up so I didn't leave either. I'm not an idiot and if I felt I was going to miss something I would have just gone to a quick service more then once. However, with my limited experience of eating onsite having a 6 o'clock ADR doesn't necessarily get you seated at 6 o'clock. Time can be used up in many different way. And don't get me started on the quality of the food, especially at the food court at POP. I ordered a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich that you could literally ring the grease out of the roll. And then there was my recent breakfast at Be Our Guest that consisted of two poached eggs on a cressant, with two puff pastries and an Ice Tea that I had to get myself like at McDonalds and also had to go to a different spot to get eating utensils and payed just a few pennies shy of $30.00 for that. Sorry, but there is nothing about dining at Disney that has ever been anything but disappointing. It just is sad that a burger at the Counter Service stations was better then a $60 meal in one of the highly touted full service places.
Bulbs being burnt out occasionally are one thing, but consistently around the parks and resorts is another. Especially from one trip to another....

Lilofan

The one thing about the Disney magic is the guests don't really see the action while the park is open. When was the last time you saw someone paint a lamp post or change a light bulb, or cut the grass, trim the bush in the middle of the day? It's most likely done at night when the guests are back in the hotel.

bUU

You're the one denying basic mathematics lol. By your logic, if we have 20% inflation for a decade and minimum wage is now $100 an hour, does that mean everyone with a job is "upper class"? Of course not, but by you're logic then yes.
Stop working so hard to misunderstand what people are telling you. The definition of upper class is what we said it was. Therefore, if we have 20% inflation then that means that the mean wage changes, so the boundary for upper class changes. 1+1=2

Either way, I've looked through your post history and its nothing but one troll after another. I'm glad you think you possess such a legendary intellect. Confidence can be a good thing, even if unfounded.
Blind yourself to truths you don't like but for which you have no legitimate rebuttal using whatever rationalization you wish.

bUU

I'm gonna partially agree with you. Yes they definitely want new money. But at the cost of steady money?
They're not losing the steady money. Decade-over-decade Disney's attendance and revenues continue to skyrocket. They built a business that is the envy of most consumer-facing industries. People are misconstruing their own detachment from affinity with Disney for a more general detachment. It's a conceit to do so, but people do it anyway probably to make themselves feel better about their own choice.

bUU

I'm sorry, but, having attended since 1983 I can tell you, without hesitation, that the place looks 100% better then it did back then and it looked good back then.
Precisely. People have to rail against that reality because it ruins the narrative they prefer as victims.

bUU

The only real problem is that changes have been made and people just don't like change and will not accept that some change is very good.
To be fair, the changes may not be for them, and that's what they are responding to. There are limited resources, and Disney's going to direct those limited resources toward those things that will serve their mission the best. It has always been a competition between guests - what's enjoyed by this group or that group. Some guests win; some guests lose. I'm happy to be on the winning side but I'm equally sure I'd be upset about being on the losing side.

bUU

Finally . . .:) Now back to the regularly scheduled "You're a troll." "No, you're a troll."
Great point! Have you noticed that anyone who actually doesn't roll over and take the cabal's browbeating is labeled a troll? What's really funny is that name-calling actually is trolling.

bUU

I don't plan on spending a lot of time on this because it really doesn't matter. However, that light bulb thing is so overblown in quantity and importance that I do not even register that as a problem.
They're looking through rose-colored glasses. I remember having this same argument about light bulbs in the 1990s. I remember being at the BoardWalk and taking a photo of a burned out bulb there to post in the thread. Bulbs burn out. Even today.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They're looking through rose-colored glasses. I remember having this same argument about light bulbs in the 1990s. I remember being at the BoardWalk and taking a photo of a burned out bulb there to post in the thread. Bulbs burn out. Even today.
A rose-colored glasses view would perceive the issues at hand as nothing more than a random occurrence, as you apparently do. Without them, it appears to be (at a minimum) a failing of the very standards TWDC supposedly holds themselves to. Yes, bulbs burn out. Then replace them for the quality they proclaim, and charge dearly for as well....

In other words, bless your heart(s)....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A rose-colored glasses view would perceive the issues at hand as nothing more than a random occurrence, as you apparently do. Without them, it appears to be (at a minimum) a failing of the very standards TWDC supposedly holds themselves to. Yes, bulbs burn out. Then replace them for the quality they proclaim, and charge dearly for as well....

In other words, bless your heart(s)....

I’m still wondering who took 35mm pictures and bought an expensive scanner to “post them to threads” in the 1990s?🤔

That’s major dedication/free time

Goofyernmost

Bulbs being burnt out occasionally are one thing, but consistently around the parks and resorts is another. Especially from one trip to another....
Seriously, do you note and recheck every location where you have seen a bulb burnt out? Really? I think you go to Disney for the wrong reason. Do you take pictures of it so you can tell exactly where it was or is your memory photo like? OCD much?

Goofyernmost

The one thing about the Disney magic is the guests don't really see the action while the park is open. When was the last time you saw someone paint a lamp post or change a light bulb, or cut the grass, trim the bush in the middle of the day? It's most likely done at night when the guests are back in the hotel.
If they are working days that is when the scrims go up. Otherwise, you are correct... it is done at night.

21stamps

I'll try explaining it one more time.

20% of people say there has not been any effect to their spending/attending up to this point AND for the foreseeable future. All other voters, or 80%, say that they already have changed their spending/attending up to this point OR they are adjusting there spending/attending from this point forward due to the pricing increases and/or atmosphere reductions.

You don't have to agree, however this isn't a viewpoint. It's a fact. Facts are ignored all the time. That is your choice. But I wanted you to have every chance of understanding what you seem to be missing.

The majority of posters on this board are consistently complaining about Disney.

Your poll is an accurate reflection of the negativity here.. but I don’t think the weight of that is as heavy as you may think.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Seriously, do you note and recheck every location where you have seen a bulb burnt out? Really? I think you go to Disney for the wrong reason. Do you take pictures of it so you can tell exactly where it was or is your memory photo like? OCD much?
No, it’s just that obvious for some. Which is the problem....

eliza61nyc

Lol, I call it the "overflowing trash can" syndrome. And yes on this sight, people go around snapping pictures of full Disney trash cans.
I love the pictures of the chipped paint in the corner of some room, behind the door.
Too each his own

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom