Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

eliza61nyc

The Mouse will take anyone's money to keep operating. Who really cares if the family can't pay next month's rent/mortgage/car payment on time. They got money to go where dreams come true. The bill collector can understand, šŸ˜
So now Disney has to police people's financial situation??

So let me get this straight, someone cannot afford a vacation, don't have an ounce of sel control to say "guys we can't afford that now" and it's the companies fault??

Absolutely NO sympathy. No where is it stated that one gets everything they want. No one is owed a mansion, no one is owed a luxury car, no one is "owed" a Disney vacation, luxury cruise or a trip to Europe.

Some one goes into hock for a vacation that's on them. Put on the big boy's pant.

Last edited:

Lilofan

So now Disney has to police people's financial situation??

So let me get this straight, someone cannot afford a vacation, don't have an ounce of sel control to say "guys we can't afford that now" and it's the companies fault??

Absolutely NO sympathy. No where is it stated that one gets everything they want. No one is owed a mansion, no one is owed a luxury car, no one is "owed" a Disney vacation, luxury cruise or a trip to Europe.

Some one goes into hock for a vacation that's on them. Put on the big boy's pant.
Your opinion not mine. People who go on vacation and can't even meet their monthly bill payments it's their personal choice on how to lead their lives. But Mickey will still take anyone's $$.

ā€œDisneyland is a work of love. We didnā€™t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.ā€ - Walt Disney

I think sentiment for many disillusioned with the current Wall Street Disney is that corporations and Wall Street's focus it is all about how to make the most money possible and do it on a quarterly basis.

Lilofan

ā€œDisneyland is a work of love. We didnā€™t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.ā€ - Walt Disney

I think sentiment for many disillusioned with the current Wall Street Disney is that corporations and Wall Street's focus it is all about how to make the most money possible and do it on a quarterly basis.
It's an obvious fact that some have difficulty accepting.

21stamps

Pay close to attention to the word ā€œjustā€ in that sentence.
Walt Disney was a capitalist. Disney is, and always was, a business. It has never been a charity.

eliza61nyc

Your opinion not mine. People who go on vacation and can't even meet their monthly bill payments it's their personal choice on how to lead their lives. But Mickey will still take anyone's $$.
But I was asking how is this Mickey's fault?? Or did I misunderstand? What is wdw or any business supposed to do? Start asking for your fico score before you book a trip.
If I sell fur coats or luxury vacations to Italy it is not my business to be someone's moral compass. If they aren't saving for retirement, it's not my business so yes, I'm taking their šŸ’°

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
But I was asking how is this Mickey's fault?? Or did I misunderstand? What is wdw or any business supposed to do? Start asking for your fico score before you book a trip.
If I sell fur coats or luxury vacations to Italy it is not job not my business to be someone's moral compass. If they aren't saving for retirement, it's not my business so yes, I'm taking their šŸ’°
I agree with this. It's called,
Personal Responsibility.

Disneyfanman

We used to go annually or 2X a year as a family. As prices have increased we decreased our attendance. We now go to either DL or WDW about once every 3-4 years. The reason is cost.

Stellajack

Premium Member
The Mouse will take anyone's money to keep operating. Who really cares if the family can't pay next month's rent/mortgage/car payment on time. They got money to go where dreams come true. The bill collector can understand, šŸ˜
This seems to be a pretty broad generalization of Disney visitors; OR, is it a personal observation of some acquaintance?

Raineman

While there has seemed to be a movement growing, at least online in forums, FB groups, Reddit, etc, which involves people reducing/eliminating WDW vacations going forward, I think it is going to take alot more committed actions to change the cost/value trend by Disney in the Disney theme parks. I believe it would need to be a significant, sustained, multi-year drop in attendance/gate revenues/resort revenues before Disney starts to realize that their pockets aren't as full as they were before. If everyone that is reducing their Disney trips cut them out entirely, I think that would be the first step towards this situation playing out. Keep in mind, I am not someone who no longer sees value in a trip to WDW, at least not at this point, but, if that point ever comes, then I would be done until the cost structure improved.

Pay close to attention to the word ā€œjustā€ in that sentence.
Walt Disney was a capitalist. Disney is, and always was, a business. It has never been a charity.

The point was that Walt's sentiment wasn't about having a bean counter mentality. Corporate mentality today is to maximize profit above all else. If that means cutting back on staffing, so be it. If that means cutting back on maintenance, so be it. If that means forgoing another E ticket ride for a lesser version, so be it. As long as the dollars spent per person go up, they don't care. That is the only metric that matters, anymore.

Incomudro

The point was that Walt's sentiment wasn't about having a bean counter mentality. Corporate mentality today is to maximize profit above all else. If that means cutting back on staffing, so be it. If that means cutting back on maintenance, so be it. If that means forgoing another E ticket ride for a lesser version, so be it. As long as the dollars spent per person go up, they don't care. That is the only metric that matters, anymore.

Precisely.
Just because something is a business, or someone is a capitalist - that doesn't have to mean that value, service, quality etc., are mutually exclusive to profit.

eliza61nyc

Precisely.
Just because something is a business, or someone is a capitalist - that doesn't have to mean that value, service, quality etc., are mutually exclusive to profit.
Absolutely but the issue becomes interpretation. So far the parks have been full, not however one wishes to interpret the reason is another thread, but they are still busy. So someone, somewhere must be finding value in them. Some body is finding quality. We joke and act like we are so much smarter than folks when we discuss the dessert parties but the fact is someone somewhere likes them. And no contract to the standard belief held here, I don't think that everyone at these special events are stupid.
Unfortunately the way big corps measure success is the bottom line.
Now I don't understand the entire "what would Walt" do reliance, the company is totally different now and has been for quite a while. In today's atmosphere profit takes precedence.

21stamps

I donā€™t agree. They are building a lot of new attractions, and two new lands have recently opened.
Additionally, In my experience the paid extras have greatly improved my trips.
The same way that paid-fast passes at amusement parks have improved my experience.

Not every ā€œmoney grabā€ is designed for profit alone. Itā€™s entirely possible to gain profit AND improve guest experience.

Thatā€™s what a good business does.

Incomudro

Absolutely but the issue becomes interpretation. So far the parks have been full, not however one wishes to interpret the reason is another thread, but they are still busy. So someone, somewhere must be finding value in them. Some body is finding quality. We joke and act like we are so much smarter than folks when we discuss the dessert parties but the fact is someone somewhere likes them. And no contract to the standard belief held here, I don't think that everyone at these special events are stupid.
Now I don't understand the entire "what would Walt" do reliance, the company is totally different now and has been for quite a while. In today's atmosphere profit takes precedence.

People are finding enough value and quality.
Heck, my family and I will be going for a weeklong stay in April.
Value has certainly gone down in my observation however.
So many little "Disney differences" have been reduced.
It doesn't mean they aren't there - there is just less of it for more money.

21stamps

Precisely.

Profit from individualized choices. This is not a Disney thing, this is an entertainment/travel/societal trend. People want to customize, businesses want the profit from it.

Itā€™s a win-win for the targeted consumer and the company.

Some people (most in this thread) may not see the value, others do. In the big picture, the profit from those who do value extra offerings, it really doesnā€™t impact the detractors trips as much as they claim it does. If you were to look at it with an unjaded eye, it actually benefits everyone.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom