Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

ChipNDale79

I answered for my siblings and their families, plus my parents. All of them have solid, 6-figure jobs with household income exceeding Disney's targets because they and their spouses are white-collar professionals. Yet just like most people who are responsible for building their own wealth, my family looks for the value ratio in their vacations, and they’ve all cut back for four main reasons.

(1) Disney wields FastPass+ to cut down on staffing and operations, which means the parks operate at less-than-standard efficiency, even on “slow” days. The queues are manipulated to ensure there’s always a line. Families who don’t know better might not mind the new system, but people who’ve been visiting for a while often feel the frustrations in WDW.

(2) The planning process has become a major pain the neck, and the My Disney Experience app and website rarely function correctly. My brother described the app as the “most stressful, badly designed thing in the App Store.”

I suspect many fans who love the new system are either single or don’t have to make changes once they’ve made their first round of plans. It’s very difficult to align FPs and dining for a group larger than four, and Disney brands itself as a family destination.

(3) Related to point #1, the FastPass+ tier system and advanced requirements ensure you cannot simply enjoy the parks, even on days with slow attendance — because at some point you’ll be forced into a crowd flow pattern by picking and choosing one single E-ticket until your other options time out. This is especially problematic at Epcot and the Studios.

(4) Too much has been cut while the prices have increased. No night parade, only one day parade, less entertainment, outrageous hotel rates, smaller food portions and selections, crazy dining plan prices — the list goes on and on.

We had often kicked around the idea of joining the DVC. After our most recent family vacation a year ago, nobody is interested anymore. Every adult said “No way.”

In 2019, my family dropped Disney*, and they traveled to real locations across the real world. My brother and sister-in-law who make about $500k total said their family has had more fun than they’ve had at Disney in the last three years—including their kids—and they blame the FP+ system and “corporate greed.”

Again, this is about “value”; they’ve probably spent at least as much as they would’ve at Disney, but they feel like they’re getting a product worth the price.

Sorry to come out swinging with negativity, but this is a very honest answer from my family. They complain to me because they know I still have contacts in the company.

*I have an AP and don’t plan to drop it.

EDIT: Incidentally, everyone in my family is a long-term Disney fan — my dad had worked for them and encouraged my career choice there — and they’ve already subscribed to Disney+, and their homes are full of collectibles and Disney Store toys. Some have visited DL, DLP, TDR, and of course WDW. Yet they’ve cut the parks for now. They used to have APs and traveled to Florida to visit me.

I think this is a great post, i think there is a difference between "affordability" and "Value". While i can still afford disney, i have a hard time justifying spending the money on it now. I can't find the value that i used to find easily.

Nottamus

We are DVC members, we go twice a year. There'es never really any budget we stick to. Just the wife and I...we eat what we want, drink what we want, somehow the price always hovers around the same.

There is going to be a time when we are both too old to manage the drive down...so we enjoy it now when we can. No regrets here at all.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

We are DVC members, we go twice a year. There'es never really any budget we stick too. Just the wife and I...we eat what we want, drink what we want, somehow the price always hovers around the same.

There is going to be a time when we are both too old to manage the drive down...so we enjoy it now when we can. No regrets here at all.

My husband and I are in the same boat, minus owning DVC:) We visit when we want, eat when and where we want, stay at a comfortable resort. I know it costs more now, but like you, at our age we don't know when our next visit could be our last. We just enjoy it for what it is.

StarWarsGirl

We used to have platinum APs, but now we've gone down to Gold

Other price changes haven't hit us as hard. My parents bought DVC in 1999. So their costs are basically the same other than that they've added a few home resorts. The AP discounts have actually increased, which is very nice.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
WDW has a lot to offer. It is magical, it uplifts your mood and there's a huge variety to do continuously thru our day.

People are buying that 'mood'. If the mood begins to feel like being taken for a ride, the value will sink. It's fine for WDW to charge what it needs to profit; it's not okay to issue never-ending crazy price hikes on anything and everything for 5 years straight. The $30 desert party in 2015... $100+ now. What?! $80 party ticket... $125+. I remember getting the roastbeef sandwich at BOG for $12, what is it now, like $18 not even 5 years later?

I'm probably an average consumer, not a high-roller but has a decent vacation budget. Not happy to pay 50% more than a trip 5 yrs ago. What to do? Only book a trip when there's a huge sale or incentive attached. Watch WDW roll out the great deals during 2020 and 2021 to recapture their market. Luckily my wife convinced me not to purchase DVC last year because she believes there will be a slight consumer backlash and prices will dip before climbing again. Hope she's right! :D

mdcpr

I'm taking the family for the first time this year (I've been 4 times before as a child), and the cost of our upcoming trip is definitely affecting whether we would do it again, and we're not there yet. We know what we like and we won't compromise, and for what we like we are spending at least $8K for 5 days (includes flying), so for that money, we already know that WDW is not worth multiple visits. It will be magical, there's not budget assigned to this trip, but the hassle, the prep, and the crowds are not worth it.

NelleBelle

We went to WDW in 2018 and had an ok time. It was in June and we knew it would be expensive. We just haven’t been to keen on on the price increases and reductions that come with increases. Then we went to DLR in Dec of 2018 and that pretty much sealed it for DH. Even on new year’s day, he lines were way more manageable than a “regular” day at WDW. The food was better (for vegetarians) and for us living on the west coast, way easier to visit for a long weekend. DH has SWORN no more WDW uuntil we have grandkids (my boys ate 15 and 13)! I still have the big and would love to go yearly. Am trying to get him to agree to go for the 50th. May just have to take my friend, who’s never been, or make do and be happy with just DLR for a while!

stratman50th

I answered for my siblings and their families, plus my parents. All of them have solid, 6-figure jobs with household income exceeding Disney's targets because they and their spouses are white-collar professionals. Yet just like most people who are responsible for building their own wealth, my family looks for the value ratio in their vacations, and they’ve all cut back for four main reasons.

(1) Disney wields FastPass+ to cut down on staffing and operations, which means the parks operate at less-than-standard efficiency, even on “slow” days. The queues are manipulated to ensure there’s always a line. Families who don’t know better might not mind the new system, but people who’ve been visiting for a while often feel the frustrations of modern WDW.

(2) The planning process has become a major pain the neck, and the My Disney Experience app and website rarely function correctly. My brother described the app as the “most stressful, badly designed thing in the App Store.”

I suspect many fans who love the new system are either single or don’t have to make changes once they’ve made their first round of plans. It’s very difficult to align FPs and dining for a group larger than four, and Disney brands itself as a family destination.

(3) Related to point #1, the FastPass+ tier system and advanced requirements ensure you cannot simply enjoy the parks, even on days with slow attendance — because at some point you’ll be forced into a crowd flow pattern by picking and choosing one single E-ticket until your other options time out. This is especially problematic at Epcot and the Studios.

(4) Too much has been cut while the prices have increased. No night parade, only one day parade, less entertainment, outrageous hotel rates, smaller food portions and selections, crazy dining plan prices — the list goes on and on.

We had often kicked around the idea of joining the DVC. After our most recent family vacation a year ago, nobody is interested anymore. Every adult said “No way.”

In 2019, my family dropped Disney*, and they traveled to real locations across the real world. My brother and sister-in-law who make about $500k total said their family has had more fun than they’ve had at Disney in the last three years—including their kids—and they blame the FP+ system and “corporate greed.”

Again, this is about “value”; they’ve probably spent at least as much as they would’ve at Disney, but they feel like they’re getting a product worth the price.

Sorry to come out swinging with negativity, but this is a very honest answer from my family. They complain to me because they know I still have contacts in the company.

*I have an AP and don’t plan to drop it.

EDIT: Incidentally, everyone in my family is a long-term Disney fan — my dad had worked for them and encouraged my career choice there — and they’ve already subscribed to Disney+, and their homes are full of collectibles and Disney Store toys. Some have visited DL, DLP, TDR, and of course WDW. Yet they’ve cut the parks for now. They used to have APs and traveled to Florida to visit me.
Bravo! You explained my feelings to a tee. We can afford Disney vacations easily, but I have a lot of anger and frustration over the constant gouging of their customers. For many years we freestyled and it really worked for us. Then we started having trouble getting in to our favorite restaurants. It really tipped me over when we would stay at the Poly but couldn't get into O'hana! I don't know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow let alone where I'll be for dinner 6 months from now. I refuse to be herded that way either. That was the beginning. Then you have to plan what rides 60 days in advance for fast passes. We have been going so long that I know what I can miss now. I don't need to spend all day in a park. I like looking around the property so I hate being restricted.
I still steam over $32 for two cheeseburgers, fries and a soda at Hollywood studios You can't justify those prices in the outskirts of Orlando. Maybe in the Keys or the Bahamas where things need to be shipped or flown in. Plus if they don't get better prices for buying in huge volume they aren't so hot at business. I went for the nostalgia, but they've made so many changes that the nostalgia is gone. (This last I don't blame them for really as they are catering to a newer and younger audience). Eventually my wife will get as discouraged as I am and we won't have to return. She's getting close. The last two times we went we stayed at Fort Wilderness. It's a little pricey but still not as bad as some of the RV resorts we've stayed at, and we can tow our car and they aren't charging for it yet. We bring most of our meals with us and only go out if we can get a reservation to where we want. If we can't we eat in. We spent four days last May just riding around the fort and resort hopping. Used up our last day ticket for Flower and Garden and done. So yeah, it isn't that we can't afford the parks, but from this point on we won't. I don't begrudge others who still feel the magic, but for me it's been gone for years.

Last edited:
I am seeing more and more post that is mentioning the cost increase has made them look at the quality of there vacation and ultimately it is the quality of their experience is causing them to adjust there vacations. I agree that the quality regardless of cost is going down! The "Disney experience" I grew up knowing was the ultimate vacation in every way! When I read a comment that says they spent $10K on a week vacation and they describe it as "OK" Something is seriously broken! Yes society has become one of "expecting entitlement" Still I would expect to hear a lot more people saying things they use to say like "Best trip ever" "Can't wait to go again"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The poll needs this option: "Will only book a discounted or incentivized trip to offset all the increases".

We've taken plenty of full cost WDW trips but will no longer after so many increases. Probably not alone here ;)
I would raise my hand to this.

I can’t in good conscious buy Disney tickets as it stands. Even from the lens that I have cheap vacation club paid cash almost 15 years ago...there’s no way I can allow myself to keep going down this road.

I’ve already absorbed the food hikes over the last 10+ years. If I have to keep noticing how much more things keep costing for the same or lesser product....it’s no fun.

It’s not the bills...it’s the feeling of devaluation.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Who, again, come from a biased sample, and were responding to a grievously biased poll question. There is one other thing to keep in mind, with polls where respondents self-select rather than respondents being a normalized random sample: If people don't like something they are 9-15 times more likely to tell others than if they like something. So 76-24, if we were talking about a normalized random sampling, would indicate that 76% of people are actually positively inclined. {(24*10) / [76+(24*10)]}
None of us know for sure, even TWDC. As the next year proceeds, we'll get confirmation either way. Maybe 2020 will see high attendance and individual spending remain on track... or we see WDW rolling out incredible offers and bigger incentives to DVC.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
None of us know for sure, even TWDC. As the next year proceeds, we'll get confirmation either way. Maybe 2020 will see high attendance and individual spending remain on track... or we see WDW rolling out incredible offers and bigger incentives to DVC.
...Eyes are watching 😳

I spoke to friend who works as a Disney TA the other day and she indicated that at least the people she deals with are HELL BENT on not doing the “D” word...for the next year.

They have been “instructed” that all they need to do is hold the line for the next 12 months and then the people will “flock”

I see no evidence of either...but what do I know?

All you “for the 50th” people...kindly be quiet, please? I promise it will be better for you in the long run 😉

VaderTron

Original Poster
And see, honestly I don't want to see incredible offers as much as I want to see the return of high-quality standards. Not to say big discounts wouldn't be appreciated. What I would like is the return of the magical experience. Let me explain by an experience that happened just a few hours ago. My DW wanted to pin trade at Disney Springs. While there she wanted to get a popcorn bucket refill, one of the "deals" Disney hasn't axed yet ($2 per refill in a popcorn bucket we bought 2 years ago.) Here is a complete description of what used to be a pleasant highlight for my DW (she has a popcorn obsession).

Approached popcorn stand as the only customer. The CM gave a half-hearted hello, a more common experience lately. No smile, she stares at me rather than asking what she could get for me. I said, "One popcorn refill please." and took the lid off the bucket and offered it to her as my wife and I have dozens of times. Usually the CM happily takes it over to the cart and fills it till it's spilling over. Instead, this CM didn't acknowledge that I was handing it to her. She instead grabbed a 'large' paper popcorn cup and went to fill it while informing me, "That will be $2." She then set the popcorn down in front of me. Now I'm no idiot that gets fooled by the tall-and-thin packaging that is made to deceive consumers into believing they are getting more than they really are. I instantly recognized it was less than what would fit in a bucket. So I set my bucket right in front of the CM and poured it out of the 'large' popcorn container into the bucket and looked at her. She said nothing even though we both could see it only filled the bucket less than 2/3rds full. After a moment I kindly asked, "Do you mind if I get some more to fill the bucket?" Long pause and she sighed, "...Sure..." She put a few more kernels in the same paper cup. It still didn't fill it up, but I was done. I said thank you, paid my $2 and told my DW, "Sorry honey. It's just not Disney here anymore." She said, "I know...It's kinda sad."

This is the stuff that makes people like me drop our AP's, eat at offsite restaurants, go to other parks/attractions, different hotels, and vacation other places.

Just so happens my wellness doctor appointment is nearby tomorrow. Only reason we are here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom