Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

allgiggles

We go to Disney World every other year. We actually increased our length of stay by one night for our 2020 trip. I was looking back at our costs from previous trips and the price increase is a bit crazy. Fortunately (for us) our discretionary income has increased significantly over the last 5-7 years, so the Disney price increases are doable for us. But we still don't like them. :)

Animaniac93-98

Crowd levels are mostly unchanged. What’s changed is the staffing levels. The over crowding is purposeful. Create a problem. Monetize a solution.

Was just at TDR again and really noticed this time how many more CMs they have helping out with everything from food to rides to parade control. It makes an enormous difference.

For what WDW charges, show quality and operations should be just as good. It’s not a cultural or knowledge issue, it’s about having enough people .

Animaniac93-98

I love the justification well others do it. I remember my my mother saying just because others do it doesn't mean you should. Disney you started charging for parking because other hotels do-- fine --other hotels provide complimentary continental breakfast --some even a cooked breakfast-- so Disney when are you going too provide this benefit -----others do it. Fat chance

They don’t even offer free bottled water in the room, probably the cheapest perk they could provide...and something other hotels do.

Often on these boards you will hear cries and complaints whenever there is a price increase on tickets, food, hotels, DVC, parking, etc. However, many of those who frequent this site are frequent WDW attendees if not pass-holders. While those who would respond to the question posed would represent a very small sample size, I am still curious how these reductions in entertainment and increases in costs have affected your families relationship with WDW. After selecting the answer that most closely represents your family's reaction, if you care to share more details in a post I would love to hear your personal comments.

I live in San Diego. Growing up we would go every year to Disneyland. (I am 50 yrs old now) After coming home from being in the military I had the best annual pass for decades. I broke my back and was put on SSD. I continued for a couple of years with a SoCal pass. Now money is so tight there is no possibility of me financially going at all! This has really been bothering me lately. It was great exercise walking the parks and good for my depression getting out. Even SeaWorld gives vets four tickets a year to come to their park and enjoy it! I dont want free BUT try living off $930.00 a month in SoCal! I just want to be able to afford to go again :-(...

AndyS2992

We go to Disneyland Paris every year now, a hell of a lot cheaper. The price of a WDW trip from the UK is now just extortionate. I want to go for the 50th but no one else is interested in paying so looks like it will be a solo trip but even then I don't feel like paying £2500 ($3313) for just me for a week is worth it.

Chi84

Premium Member
I never said my lack of free time was because of work or from being apart from family. Quite the opposite and I'm happy living a very full life. Busy, but happy.

Look, everyone approaches the parks differently. There are blogs advising visitors to only eat quick service because table is a waste of park time. Others say to hit every rope drop and stay until close for every park, every day. And then there are others who suggest spending a lot of time at the resort pools. None of these fits my version of a Disney vacation.

There is no one-size fits all on vacationing, which is why there is such a variety of resort / dining / ride / shopping / activity options at WDW. If someone wants to save money and sit on the sidewalk, then that's great for them. The value is in that activity for them. If others want to spend $100 and have a seat set aside, then great for them. If people are spending the money, then there is demand and Disney is only acting like any intelligent corporation would in the situation. Why bash them?

Why are some people incredibly judgy and quick on the personal attacks on this forum? Not every opportunity will work for every person. Attacking because someone is willing to spend money on a service offered is, well, suggestive...
I agree. I worked full-time (as I suspect most people do), but never prioritized money over family togetherness. It is true that I chose a job within my profession that was less stressful and demanded fewer hours than others, but every family makes the decisions that are right for them. Our children are productive, well-adjusted adults who also have full-time careers. We were always a very happy family - I don't remember ever being sad about not having enough time together. We remain close. And one extra-special, happy side effect of working full-time is that we can now afford to take regular family vacations to Disney! I can't imagine what I missed out on or why anyone would think my life is sad - but I'm sure someone here will be quick to point it out to me ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
76 percent sounds like a lot, but it’s 76 percent of the 160 people who voted. I know these “polls” are fun, but they don’t really mean anything.
Sample size is a time honored way of predicting overall patterns/results...though of course not perfect.

How do you think polls work?

Figments Friend

I used to go to WDW often , then yearly, sometimes twice a year.
That stopped in early 2013 due to the MM+ / MagicBands roll out.
Not a fan, for many reasons.

That autumn I visited Disneyland for the third time since being properly introduced to it in 2007, and became enchanted with the place.
The history, the scope, the entertainment, the beautiful weather, and 'legacy' FP!
Bliss.

My yearly visits are now to California, with a WDW visit being a very rare event, primarily for Epcot and DAK.

Disneyland has the superior Guest Experience, and is my preferred choice these days.
However, I do like to keep an eye on WDW from a distance as a part of me will always reside at Epcot.

-

eliza61nyc

There needs to be more of a shared valuation of product at Disney parks to tame the beast a little.

My opinion...I’ll kindly leave it at that.

There is...actually...its rejecting products that cost more than is reasonable or are increased too rapidly
Lol, now how come with others say "don't go" which is what you're saying albeit a lot nicer, we get publically flogged??

bUU

Really, so with a price increase you're going to increase your spending and attendance?
Yes. Disney has been underselling its offerings. Mark my words: Disney attendance and revenues will increases over the next ten years (just like it has over the last ten years, and the ten years before that, and the ten years before that, etc.)

bUU

We have been increasing our spending and attendance also.
And let's be clear: I would bet that most of the people saying that they won't increase their spending will anyway. I'm not saying that they're lying, but rather that they're not yet willing to admit that they will be increasing their spending at WDW over the next ten years. The fact that they're here, posting, and putting out there such rapacious comments in an impotent gesture of consternation reveals an underlying sentiment that Disney is going to benefit from regardless.

I would certainly say you're the exception.
In that Chi84 (and others) is (are) willing to say so.

Well, okay, it's your poll.
Good point; when someone creates a thread/poll you can surely inject into it whatever excessive bias they'd wish. Of course, a balanced poll would have "No change" in the middle of choices, where there were an equal number of choices on both sides of the middle.

Last edited:

bUU

The reason the prices are going out of control is primarily because Americans are drunk in an economic travel/money boom and we can’t control ourselves. We must own it to ever get the stones to fight back.
However, that has nothing to do with Disney and so (unsurprisingly) isn't afflicted by the bias toward Disney you hold. We've seen the same scenario at various points in the past, going back to the 1920s and earlier. It is a natural part of an economic system like this: Prices for discretionary items always have, and always will, be a trailing indicator of the economy itself.

You do have an odd reading style. That's not what I said at all.
That's an oft-used tactic to avoid hard realities that one doesn't like but for which one has no legitimate rebuttal.

Last edited:

bUU

There are many, many people who feel it's worth it to wait for parades or fireworks, even though I personally wouldn't do it. Many others pay for the dessert parties.
Heck, there are many people who set aside substantial time on their trip for "shopping" for merch. This isn't a necessary evil in their mind: They actively enjoy the array of merch that Disney puts forward for sale and view a trip to Star Traders or Mouse Gear as an attraction in itself. I hate shopping, but I respect other guests and acknowledge that what they consider a high-value portion of their vacation experience is. When did disrespecting people who like things that you don't like become acceptable?

bUU

I agree we did an Alaskan 14 day cruise on Holland America and the service, the food, the entertainment was top notch.
Our Alaskan cruise on Holland America that we took for our twenty-fifth anniversary last year was a lot more expensive than it was priced when we looked into it for our tenth anniversary. And there were a lot more surcharges and such. Yet, more people are cruising than back then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom