Has anyone ever done a REALLY spontaneous trip to WDW?

Chrononymous

In a week it will be my birthday!

and today my mom and I...along with my spouse... started talking about just hopping on a plane and going to Disney for a quick three day break.

well...an expensive quick break! :ROFLOL:

We are always talking and planning about going there...but we have NEVER done a trip with so little time to prepare!

We have been there more than a dozen times between us,(except for the spouse) so it's not like we don't know what to expect. And we are experienced in the marathon Park Hopping.

Has any of you done this kind of sudden one week spontaneous thing before? Is it even possible?

balletgirl2

In 2007 I decided I wanted to go to WDW for my birthday too. We planned it out with 2 weeks out. I ended up staying at POFQ b/c that was pretty much all that was open and ate where ever I could get a ADR. It was fun being that spontaneous!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

smk

Done it! A couple of years ago (also for a birthday) we planned and carried out a trip with a few days notice, we wanted to stay at FW cabins and one of the nights wasn't available so we stayed one night at AS sports and moved to FW the next day. It was a fun carefree trip, I would love to do it again. If I had stopped to think about it I would have second guessed it all and that would have ruined the spontanaity (sp?) of it all. We just did it without looking back and I have/had no regrets! Go for it! Happy Birthday!

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

I keep thinking..."are we insane?":D

It looks like right now we can book the AS Music with very little trouble.
Mom and I are definitely conspiring!

Now just need to get the Spouse on board...

Upvote 0

X-Ser

Yup! Back in January I took a 3 day trip with less than a week's notice. We decided to go on Sunday and booked the off-site hotel on Monday for that Friday! It was a great trip, and we even managed to get some same-day ADRs. As long as you know your way around the parks, you really don't need those months of planning to have a fulfilling trip.

Upvote 0

Tubes

Living in Orlando makes spontaneous trips a bit easier. I had an extra ticket and a day off from school in March and just decided to go to MK.

Upvote 0

Disneybird

I had no plans to go until Jan. 2010. But this past Sunday, my brother called me and said he wanted to take his granddaughter to WDW to meet up with his ex-wife's family. Well to make a long story short, he called me at 11:30 am, and by 12:00 I was in my car on the way to pick him up. We got to Orlando at 11:00 Sunday night after driving over 600 miles. We were at the Magic Kingdom on Monday at 8:15 am, spent the entire day, and the next morning were on our way back home. I told him I couldn't believe I was doing something so crazy. My husband was out of town and I was alone for the long weekend, so there was nothing to keep me from going. My brother reminded me that I wasn't getting any younger and I needed to do more spontaneous things.

In that short time, we went to the Magic Kingdom, ate dinner at Trails End, shopped Downtown Disney, went to the Beach and Yacht Club Tuesday morning, and then to POFQ to visit our mother who was also down there on vacation. Then we finished it off by going to the Disney outlet store nearby.

Upvote 0

zjer

yup

Last April (2008) I was feeling a little blue due to some events that were going on in my life so I hopped on a plane and spent a week at Disney World. There was probably three days between when I decided I was going until I arrived for my first solo trip. It took all three of those days to get a room at POP (they were full) but the day I flew out I found one. I became so hooked on the solo trip that I have taken another one since and I am going again this November.

Upvote 0

yankspy

My last solo trip was planned about two weeks out. My wife was going to Europe to visit her Mom and it was too expensive for me to go. Tickets to Orlando were only $100 and I already had a room and some left over park passes so I decided to take a cheap five day solo excursion. It was great.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
A few years ago my mom and I decided we wanted to go to Disney for my birthday. We decided Wednesday afternoon that we were going and at 7am Friday morning we were on a plane from NJ to FL. It was the craziest (and most expensive) trip but we had an absolute blast. :lol:

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I have done this twice, once with DSL with 12 days and we basically went by the seat of our pants, no ADRs, first time usng DME & buses; we had a ball. This past March, 8 days planning when DS decided to check out a college in Winter Park FL, no ADRs, 45 minutes to book room, went by the seat of our pants and, again, had a riot! I love the planning part but have found that I can get way, way, way too obsessive with it.
We're going again in Sept when we deliver DS to college in Winter Park. the suite is booked and I will try to get a couple of ADRs but that's the extent of planning. We're taking DB, who has not been to the world since 1976 so there are a couple of dining experiences we want to share with him. I have the 90 day mark on the calendar to call; other than that, its going to be relaxed.
Hey, you only live once, there is no second time around - go for it. Always remember that when you weigh the cost, you can't take it with you. I'm not advising spending the money so that you endanger losing your home or something.
DD wanted to do a trip with DH, DS, and I and he put it off, "we'll plan it for next year"; problem was it never happened. He was diagnoses with bone cancer and passed away 3 weeks later.
Pack your bags, hop in the car or plane and do it.

Upvote 0

dsnyfreak

Ive never done an entire week like that but many many many times we have woke up in the morning and said "what do you want to do today?" as always I said " let's go to disney." my husband always said, "you got money?" i say," honey, we have our passes all we need is food and gas money." he said " okay lets go!!!!":D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

My very first time was totally unplanned. Many,many moons ago ( I believe it was early spring 1978 ) a friend who had moved back here to Baltimore asked if I would ride with him and his girlfriend to Hope Ark. to pick up the rest of his belongings. I said OK, but only if we could hit this new amusement park on the way back called Dollywood. They said fine and we were off. We drove straight thru to Hope and loaded up the U Haul, now ready to hit Dollywood and return home. The only problem was that it wasn't open for the season yet. So while Rick was in the bathroom at an all night diner we were in in Texarcana ( sp? ) Caroll and I came up with what we thought was an outrageous plan. We proposed to leave immeadetly that night and drive to Orlando, see this new thing called Walt Disney World then come home. Figuring full well that level headed Rick would say we were nuts and we should get some sleep to be able to leave for home the next day. But for some reason level headed Rick said "that sounds great!", and we were off. Driving straight thru to Orlando, spending a day at the Magic Kingdom then driving home. We went from Baltimore to Hope to Orlando to Baltimore all in about four days! A crazy trip but we were young and crazy ourselves. And to this day it is one of my favorite trips amongst the more than 50 times I have gone back. I really miss you Rick. And Caroll, thanx for coming up with the idea.

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

Yep and I'm still here, I'm staying on the coast and when I get the urge I just drive over a spend a half day in the parks then I catch dinner at one of the Resorts.

Upvote 0
Yep, When I had my Annual Pass most of my trips were spontaneous. Usually planned a day or two in advance. Working for an airline makes that easy. I can't wait to get my new pass :)

Upvote 0
26 hour advance...

We put together a trip 26 hours ahead of time. We live in south jersey, just outside Atlantic City. In October of last year we recieved an email from Spirit airlines for $9 airfare from AC to Orlando, the dates were specific. It just so happened that one of the dates going down was the next day and a return date was four days later. We booked the airfare right away (at around 10 am on a Monday) for a flight that left the next day at noon.
As I completed the airplane reservations, DH was on the phone with member services and booked a one bedroom at OKW. We booked ME and packed a carry-on. Everything was done in about 30 minutes. We worked that day and caught the flight the next day.
The trip was during our normal days off, but we had to call-in sick two extra days. Calling the boss was funny in itself, we called on our cell phones from Main Street in the MK during a performance, so he could hear singers singing "Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley" in the background!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom