Harry Potter IS making a difference!!

MAF

The rumor is that Toon Lagoon is what will be changed if Universal ever decides to take on another franchise expansion. I seriously doubt Uni will ever give up having the Spiderman ride.

flavious27

What makes you think they would turn Marvel Superhero Island into LOTR? Theme parks deal with expansions when there seems to be no room all the time. I could totally see them taking out part of that space between Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park for a LOTR land, or maybe take over part of the Lost Continent and work the park back more towards the soundstages...or dare i say it, even build a new land on the lagoon!

the contract for marvel ip is going to end at some time. looking at how universal took over the majority of the lost continent to build wwhp, I hope that they don't cheapen any lotr land by doing the same thing with marvel island. what room between toon lagoon and Jurassic park, it is filled. there is not enough room on the lagoon to put an island in the middle.

Alektronic

Here is another story talking about Harry Potter's effect

Theme park showdown: Harry Potter vs. Mickey Mouse

By Mitch Stacy, Associated Press

ORLANDO — Craig Taylor wasn't much interested in vacationing in Orlando with his parents this month — until he and his girlfriend plugged into the hype swirling around the new Harry Potter attraction.

So Taylor, 23, a police dispatcher who lives near Manchester, England, and girlfriend Katherine Lucarz, 22, both fans of the wildly popular books and movies about the boy wizard, decided they had to tag along to experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. That's where they were on a sunny, cool weekday afternoon in early December, taking a break among the other Muggles in the shadow of the towering Hogwarts castle.
"It's brilliant," says Lucarz, adding that the steep, snow-covered rooftops, crooked chimneys and shops of Hogsmeade village are even more like the movies than she imagined. Other visitors queued up just to get in the door at Ollivander's Wand Shop, and waited an hour for the centerpiece ride, a fantastic state-of-the-art flight simulator/robocoaster called "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey."

That sort of devotion to all things Potter is precisely what Universal hoped to tap into when it debuted the $250 million attraction in June in a corner of its Islands of Adventure park.

Harry has conjured all the magic Universal expected, and then some. In the quarter after the attraction opened, crowds at Universal parks swelled by 36% over the same stretch last year, while attendance at Disney's Orlando parks stayed roughly the same.

But the big question is, can Universal keep the edge and take a bigger bite out of the Mouse's historical dominance as more families shake off the recession and come back to the parks?

That's hard to tell, industry analysts and tourism officials say, but everyone agrees that the eye-popping success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter has been a shot in the arm for all the Orlando-area attractions.

Thanks to the new attraction and an improving economy, hotel occupancy rates in Orange County shot up nearly 21% in July over the same month last year, and through September were running nearly 7% ahead of 2009 totals.
"Harry Potter certainly has been a very powerful motivator," says Gary Sain, president of the Orlando/Orange County Convention & Visitors Bureau. "I believe that it has helped to drive additional visitation to Orlando. And then no one just comes for one attraction, they come to visit several attractions."
But Disney, historically good at keeping extended-stay visitors on its properties, is losing more park days to Universal now because of the Harry Potter attraction, says Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services Inc., an independent industry consultant. He believes the Potter attraction has also taken a considerable bite out of attendance at SeaWorld Orlando, whose image — and attendance — is still recovering from the violent death of a whale trainer in February.

"(Harry Potter) has had an enormous impact, and we believe it has legs," Speigel says. "I don't think you're going to see a 36-percent increase at any theme park for a while. But we believe that Harry Potter has enough story line to carry forward for the next 15 years, if it is properly executed in the parks."

Moody's Investors Service said last month that Universal's boost from the attraction should last several years.

Steve Baker of Baker Leisure Group, a theme-park industry consultant, predicts a two-year benefit for Universal, but Disney's dominance and skill at keeping visitors on its properties is too hard to crack for Universal to gain any permanent and significant ground on the mighty Mouse.

"I think what's happened so far is that (Harry Potter) hasn't brought new business to the market yet, it's just enjoyed a bigger market share of what exists," Baker says. "And I think until Disney comes out with something new, that's probably going to be the case. Harry Potter will be a big influence on the attendance at all the parks for quite a few months. I know Universal is hoping it's everlasting, but nothing is everlasting."

For now, though, there's no mistaking what's bringing people to the park.
On a late morning in early December, typically a slow period for all the Orlando parks, the wand shop at the Wizarding World wasn't the only one with a crowd. Wannabe witches and wizards also stood in line to get into the gift shops, belly up for a butter beer and eat at the Three Broomsticks Inn. The hubbub at the Wizarding World didn't spill over into the other areas of Universal's two parks, where crowds were sparse and wait times for rides were no more than five or 10 minutes.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder says the new attraction has "been great for everything we are."
"The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has helped us reach a new audience, and we've used that opportunity very strategically to help people understand everything they can experience when they come here," Schroder says.
Overall, though, 2011 is expected to be another soft year for the theme park industry with only modest growth, analysts say, with much higher hopes for 2012.

"We're not a recession-proof industry, but we're a recession-resilient industry," Speigel says. "We bounce back faster than a lot of industries. People want to escape, they want to get out, they want to have fun. In 2010 we saw a lot of pent-up demand that had carried over from '08 and '09."

plaz10

I don't know if anyone has said this...I did not read all 37 pages on this topic.

But as it stands right now...I think Harry Potter's attendance will decline in a year or so (unless the rumored phase 2 takes place).

The WWOHP has only 2 restaurants, 4 rides and a few shops? (correct me if my numbers are not exact) IMHO, I think Harry fans are and will continue to flock to Universal to experience the park. But how many are going to continually return year after year to experience just 4 rides? If they don't add to it...people are not going to return for such a small number of attractions.

It's much like the clothing store, Steve and Barrys. In Pittsburgh, S&Bs were popping up everywhere and people loved them. Cheap clothing, tons of college and pro team apparel. BUT they never got anything new. So you went once, bought what you wanted and didn't return.

I feel people will not plan their entire vacation on 4 rides. It's something to visit once if you are a fan...but the way it is, it's attendance will decline.

loveofamouse

I don't know if anyone has said this...I did not read all 37 pages on this topic.

But as it stands right now...I think Harry Potter's attendance will decline in a year or so (unless the rumored phase 2 takes place).

The WWOHP has only 2 restaurants, 4 rides and a few shops? (correct me if my numbers are not exact) IMHO, I think Harry fans are and will continue to flock to Universal to experience the park. But how many are going to continually return year after year to experience just 4 rides? If they don't add to it...people are not going to return for such a small number of attractions.

It's much like the clothing store, Steve and Barrys. In Pittsburgh, S&Bs were popping up everywhere and people loved them. Cheap clothing, tons of college and pro team apparel. BUT they never got anything new. So you went once, bought what you wanted and didn't return.

I feel people will not plan their entire vacation on 4 rides. It's something to visit once if you are a fan...but the way it is, it's attendance will decline.

Not only that but some of the rides are remodels of what was already there like dueling dragons. It's just rethemed, renamed. Same ride

_Scar

Not only that but some of the rides are remodels of what was already there like dueling dragons. It's just rethemed, renamed. Same ride

hahaha, is this a joke?

Yes. They re-themed the area and ADDED a new ride that even surpasses Spiderman, commonly called "the best ride in the world."

What a dinky expansion! :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

People plan vacations around visiting just 1 great thing. There's a reason why Orlando is the tourist capital of the world. And Harry Potter is a big factor of why this is nowadays.

redshoesrock

The flaw in your logic (IMHO) is that you're assuming the people flocking to Universal because of Harry Potter will have no interest whatsoever in anything else that is at either theme park. Comparing your clothing store which, according to you, "never got anything new", is not the best comparison: this entire thread is about what's new at Universal - Harry Potter. WWoHP is drawing many into Universal for the first time, and Universal's plan is that when these fans coming to Universal for Harry Potter experience their other attractions, they will keep coming back. Given that Universal's rides tend to hit the same demographic as Harry Potter, I believe the opposite of what you think will happen - Universal's attendance base will increase quite a bit. Certainly Harry Potter won't stay this *consistently* popular; it'll die down a bit as the years go on. But Universal's overall attendance will be higher than it was prior to WWoHP, count on it.

plaz10

Certainly Harry Potter won't stay this *consistently* popular; it'll die down a bit as the years go on. But Universal's overall attendance will be higher than it was prior to WWoHP, count on it.

Thank you for agreeing with my argument. I did not say that Universal as a whole would decline. I'm sure it will flatten out to be what it was before Potter if not increased. If you look at my response, I said that WWoHP's attendance would decline due to the small amount of attractions...just the WWoHP, not Universal overall.

I do think that the increase that Universal is seeing right now due to HP will not last. Right now, its new, its fresh, its great. BUT once you have been there and are going ONLY to experience HP (as many Potter fans are) I don't think they will repeat the vacation if HP is their only interest.

It's very possible that Potter fans will fall in love with Universal and return...but I don't think it's as likely as Potter fans coming to experience the WWoHP and not returning unless there is an expansion.

RSoxNo1

What makes you think they would turn Marvel Superhero Island into LOTR? Theme parks deal with expansions when there seems to be no room all the time. I could totally see them taking out part of that space between Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park for a LOTR land, or maybe take over part of the Lost Continent and work the park back more towards the soundstages...or dare i say it, even build a new land on the lagoon!

LoTR makes sense with Part 1 of The Hobbit coming out in 2012, All of these things can be done together. As for the rumored location, it's suppose to be in the Toon Lagoon area.

Magenta Panther

LoTR makes sense with Part 1 of The Hobbit coming out in 2012, All of these things can be done together. As for the rumored location, it's suppose to be in the Toon Lagoon area.

A LOTR area sounds nice, but...it just seems kind of an odd choice for a theme park attraction. How's it going to work? Are employees going to dress up like hobbits, with pointed ears and hairy feet and stuff? Is Saruman going to slink through the streets and pose for pictures with the tourists? Will the restaurants and gift shops have round doors and grass growing on the roofs? :confused:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The flaw in your logic (IMHO) is that you're assuming the people flocking to Universal because of Harry Potter will have no interest whatsoever in anything else that is at either theme park. Comparing your clothing store which, according to you, "never got anything new", is not the best comparison: this entire thread is about what's new at Universal - Harry Potter. WWoHP is drawing many into Universal for the first time, and Universal's plan is that when these fans coming to Universal for Harry Potter experience their other attractions, they will keep coming back. Given that Universal's rides tend to hit the same demographic as Harry Potter, I believe the opposite of what you think will happen - Universal's attendance base will increase quite a bit. Certainly Harry Potter won't stay this *consistently* popular; it'll die down a bit as the years go on. But Universal's overall attendance will be higher than it was prior to WWoHP, count on it.
Ah, but their logic isn't flawed at all! It describes my experience to a "T". I was excited to go and experience WWOHP and bought a Premier Pass to do so. I took advantage of the pass and went 5 days over the 15 days we were there. I enjoyed WWOHP thoroughly and went through both parks to see what else there was... And I won't likely go back.

So drawing my there with WWOHP did get me to try the other offerings and I came away unimpressed. Yes, WWOHP was amazing, but in and of itself it isn't worth the price of admission and nothing else appealed to me [or my 15-year old son].

I have to agree with the thought that once the initial "wow" factor of WWOHP wears off, Universal will possibly have improved their overall attendance, but nowhere near enough to have a significant long term impact on Disney.

janoimagine

A LOTR area sounds nice, but...it just seems kind of an odd choice for a theme park attraction. How's it going to work? Are employees going to dress up like hobbits, with pointed ears and hairy feet and stuff? Is Saruman going to slink through the streets and pose for pictures with the tourists? Will the restaurants and gift shops have round doors and grass growing on the roofs? :confused:

While I agree that it could be difficult to do, keep in mind that there is more material in The Fellowship than just the Shire, a lot more.

T-1MILLION

Ah, but their logic isn't flawed at all! It describes my experience to a "T". I was excited to go and experience WWOHP and bought a Premier Pass to do so. I took advantage of the pass and went 5 days over the 15 days we were there. I enjoyed WWOHP thoroughly and went through both parks to see what else there was... And I won't likely go back.

So drawing my there with WWOHP did get me to try the other offerings and I came away unimpressed. Yes, WWOHP was amazing, but in and of itself it isn't worth the price of admission and nothing else appealed to me [or my 15-year old son].

I have to agree with the thought that once the initial "wow" factor of WWOHP wears off, Universal will possibly have improved their overall attendance, but nowhere near enough to have a significant long term impact on Disney.

That is fine, glad you enjoyed it at least once and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but look take notice that judging from the fact that you bought a premier pass and you and your son spent five days at the resort...sounds like Universal has a huge winner there even from someone who is likely not to return..they got a lot out of even someone of that opinion. Pretty good for opening only a new section of a park.

pax_65

I think Harry Potter has "legs" so to speak, because I believe new generations of kids will read the books and watch the movies, and they will want to ride the ride, drink butterbeer, get fitted for a wand, and so on. In a few years, it might not be the worldwide phenomenon it is now, but I think it will be popular for many years to come.

But even if Harry Potter doesn't continue to bring Potter fans to Universal, you still have an amazing theme park ride that people will want to experience. With Spiderman and now WWOHP, Universal has taken "the dark ride" to a whole different level.

I'm still waiting for Disney's answer to Spiderman, that never came. I WANT HP to be a threat to Disney, because I want Disney to ANSWER that threat. Disney - show us what you can do! Give me a reason to stay on property besides refurbs and meet & greets!

thelookingglass

This thread (and forum) is so funny. No matter how many times you beat it into the thick headed skulls of the Disney fans wearing rose-tinted glass on this site about what an excellent job Universal did on WWoHP, they continue to come up with terrible "excuses" as to why it isn't.

Yeah, when WDW can give us something more impressive than Toy Story Mania again, then we'll talk.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That is fine, glad you enjoyed it at least once and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but look take notice that judging from the fact that you bought a premier pass and you and your son spent five days at the resort...sounds like Universal has a huge winner there even from someone who is likely not to return..they got a lot out of even someone of that opinion. Pretty good for opening only a new section of a park.
I never said it wasn't currently good for Universal, but the point is there may very well be many like me who won't go back. If there are, the thread title that "Harry Potter IS making a difference" will be a short-lived occurrence. So the proof will come in a year or two when WWOHP's novelty has worn off. Because despite enjoying the addition, the rest of their parks have absolutely no appeal to me or my teenage son. I'm guessing that extends to a lot of the current surge of guests.

Since the article quoted above says lines at other attractions were short to non-existent despite the increased attendance, I'm thinking it won't sustain itself. And you're right, it's just my opinion.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This thread (and forum) is so funny. No matter how many times you beat it into the thick headed skulls of the Disney fans wearing rose-tinted glass on this site about what an excellent job Universal did on WWoHP, they continue to come up with terrible "excuses" as to why it isn't.

Yeah, when WDW can give us something more impressive than Toy Story Mania again, then we'll talk.
No rose-tinting here. But despite a great job on WWOHP, there isn't enough other stuff to keep me going back. No matter how good WWOHP is, it isn't worth a day's admission by itself. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom