Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm going for "slightly annoyed".
I want more things like this, but the cost is too high. I'm not a "give me something for nothing" kind of guy, just the kind of guy that wants the park quality to rise with costs.
I agree about wanting park quality to rise with the cost.

I don't think these types of events are bad things. They aren't reducing theme park offerings or charging me more for regular park admission. For those who find it worth the price it's a nice addition. If I happen to be at WDW without the kids this summer I would definitely check this out. I think it's a decent deal for what you get. Most likely I will never go, but for those who do get to go its a nice addition.

MissM

For what it's worth, I can't even fathom why anyone would want to spend that much money on this. It blows my mind that the first night is sold out. I see zero justification for how much they're charging. I just don't even remotely get it. :facepalm:

asianway

If you don't believe that a private event inside AK after dark which features a new show with live performers and an orchestra then culturally themed food and drinks mixer after isn't worth $100... Then you don't attend such events outside Disney.

This is a nice new premium offering.
I think most people want it to be included in their AP? $120 makes for some fine lifestyler repellant

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't really get where price confusion is coming in. You're getting a cocktails, an orchestra performance featuring a celebrity and an all you can eat buffet afterwards.

Buffets alone at Disney normally cost around $40 to begin with. And those don't include alcohol...

Agreed. Here's my quick breakdown.

You get apps at the cocktail reception pre-show plus a buffet dinner after. Boma is an African inspired buffet that costs around $40 for the food alone. The African beers and specialty drinks average between $7 and $9. If you add in 2 drinks at the cocktail hour plus 2 after the show that's roughly another $32. You are up to $72 already. $48 for the show (which includes a live orchestra, choir and celebrity narrator) plus the street party with live music and other entertainment afterwards. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I guess if you don't drink at all it's a little more pricey, but I never turn down a cold drink so not an issue for me:cool: Honestly, the show and entertainment plus the food is probably worth close to $120 in "Disney dollars" even without the alcohol.

WDWFan_Boston

For what it's worth, I can't even fathom why anyone would want to spend that much money on this. It blows my mind that the first night is sold out. I see zero justification for how much they're charging. I just don't even remotely get it. :facepalm:

I get it, and I think many others do too.

Let me use this as an example. You happen to have an Etsy store link on your profile to where you sell custom jewelry (very pretty by the way!). I saw pieces up to $100 on your site. Some would say that your prices are exorbitant and there is no way your merchandise is worth that much.

I have a feeling you would disagree with that. You understand the raw materials, workmanship, and expertise that goes into each piece. You also understand the fair market value of your product. Hence, your merchandise is "worth it."

Now, Disney is putting on a show with a guest narrator, expert performers, and a live orchestra. They have food and drink also included. All of this comes at a fair market value (at least compared to sporting events, Broadway shows, etc.). See the comparison?

You may not think that it's worth your money. I understand that. But, I don't think you can just flat out say that it's "not worth it."

Much-Pixie-Dust

I hope others feel this way so it won't be crowded on the night I go. :) Seriously . . .the price of any experience is really dependent upon the person's value of it. I would never spend the money I am spending on Harambe Nights for tickets to a sporting event because a sporting event really wouldn't me memorable for me. I understand that there are people who would because they would enjoy that event and it would be memorable for them. For me, this is a one night event and one that will hopefully provide my family with wonderful memories. Since it has never been done before, I could go away feeling I got my money's worth or I could feel that I made a mistake. Only time will tell, but from what they say is being offered I think I will feel satisfied and I probably won't even drink.

Animaniac93-98

Though not really Africa related, it would be interesting if they altered the show to include music from Tarzan or Jungle Book or did seperate nights for those movies. Just Lion King invites comparisons with other shows based on that movie, but a mix would be more interesting IMO.

You could throw in all kinds of Disney animal movie scores from Bambi, to the True-Life Adventure and Disney Nature stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom