Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
For what it's worth, I can't even fathom why anyone would want to spend that much money on this. It blows my mind that the first night is sold out. I see zero justification for how much they're charging. I just don't even remotely get it. :facepalm:
Easy to see. Last fall I saw a show in Joliet, IL featuring an orchestra playing Disney music. Tickets were $60. Add in a buffet dinner, apps, drinks, and post show dancing, and you're at $119 easy, even before moving the location from an old theater in Joliet, IL to DAK.

MissM

Now, Disney is putting on a show with a guest narrator, expert performers, and a live orchestra. They have food and drink also included. All of this comes at a fair market value (at least compared to sporting events, Broadway shows, etc.). See the comparison?

You may not think that it's worth your money. I understand that. But, I don't think you can just flat out say that it's "not worth it."
No, I can still say that I personally don't think it's worth it in general because I don't think it offers value for the cost - especially when compared to other Disney offerings.

For example, $100 you get access to the a the world's most famous theme park, including unlimited rides, parades, fireworks and shows for upwards of 10-15+ hours by virtue of a one-day ticket to Magic Kingdom.
Or, for that same $100 you get access to 5 million synchronized dancing Christmas lights PLUS 10-15+ hours in a theme park including "expert performers" and show (Fantasmic) in DHS during the holidays.
Or, even more comparable, that same $100 also gets you a celebrity narrator, a choir ("expert performers") with music PLUS a 10-15+ hours in a theme park, with a nighttime fireworks/laser light show (Illuminations) at Epcot during the Candlelight Processional.
Even just extra, hard-ticket events you get more. $70 gets you officially 5 hours (unofficially 8 hours! starting at 4pm) plus special parades, special fireworks, special shows AND an entire world-famous theme park at MNSSHP or MVMCP.

So why is $134/person good value for money for three hours, no rides, just a show and food? If it were 4pm-midnight, the show, the food AND access to all of AK rides like the other hard ticket parties, I'd think it was a fair price. But as it stands, I think it's poor value for money, especially given what else that much money buys you right there on Disney property.

Hey, I'm in no way saying someone who wants to do it shouldn't. By all means, whatever floats your boat! Have fun! But I personally feel it's extremely overpriced and a bad value.

WDWFan_Boston

No, I can still say that I personally don't think it's worth it in general because I don't think it offers value for the cost - especially when compared to other Disney offerings.
But as it stands, I think it's poor value for money, especially given what else that much money buys you.
Hey, I'm in no way saying someone who wants to do it shouldn't. By all means, whatever floats your boat! Have fun! But I personally feel it's extremely overpriced and a bad value.

You originally had said there was ZERO justification for the cost. That's what I was referring too. There is a justification for the cost, and compared to other Disney offerings, there is actually some value here. I'm not trying to force you to agree. I'm just saying that the cost IS justified based on what you are receiving. It seems that many Disney fans agree too. Time will tell, I guess.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

For example, $100 you get access to the a the world's most famous theme park, including unlimited rides, parades, fireworks and shows for upwards of 10-15+ hours by virtue of a one-day ticket to Magic Kingdom.
Or, for that same $100 you get access to 5 million synchronized dancing Christmas lights PLUS 10-15+ hours in a theme park including "expert performers" and show (Fantasmic) in DHS during the holidays.
Or, even more comparable, that same $100 also gets you a celebrity narrator, a choir ("expert performers") with music PLUS a 10-15+ hours in a theme park, with a nighttime fireworks/laser light show (Illuminations) at Epcot during the Candlelight Processional.
Even just extra, hard-ticket events you get more. $70 gets you officially 5 hours (unofficially 8 hours! starting at 4pm) plus special parades, special fireworks, special shows AND an entire world-famous theme park at MNSSHP or MVMCP.

So why is $134/person good value for money for three hours, no rides, just a show and food? If it were 4pm-midnight, the show, the food AND access to all of AK rides like the other hard ticket parties, I'd think it was a fair price. But as it stands, I think it's poor value for money, especially given what else that much money buys you right there on Disney property.

None of your examples include food or drinks. If you ate a sit down buffet and had some drinks you would be spending much more than $100 a day but you would be getting a much longer experience and rides. It's not a great comparison. More than half of what you are paying for with this offering is the meal and the alcohol.

If you want to compare it for value to the other dinner shows on property like Hoop Dee Doo and Luau that's probably a better comparison. Those shows average about $65 depending on time of year and seating. So this costs $55 more than those shows. So is it worth it? That's probably a matter of opinion.

Here's my take on it. This offering lasts longer in total (I think). Anyone know how long the street party is? The show is about an hour plus the 30 min pre-show cocktail hour. I'm assuming 1.5 to 2.5 hours for the street party. So 3 to 4 hours total. IMHO the show itself looks much better than the others on property shows. It includes a full orchestra and choir. The other shows are nice, but this sounds like it could be a little more substantial. You also get the after party with live music.

It's really a matter of opinion. If you are choosing a night out and you are deciding between the other 2 dinner shows on property or this it would cost an extra $110 for a couple. IMHO it would be worth the extra money for something unique and original, but I could understand why someone would want to save the money and just go to luau or Hoop Dee Doo.

Much-Pixie-Dust

@GoofGoof - I think it does last longer. It said that complimentary parking starts at 4, so I think it will be like MNSSHP and MVMCP in that your hard ticket will get you into the park 3 hours before official closing. I could be wrong, but why would complimentary parking start at 4 otherwise? On my order confirmation it had the time listed as midnight, so I believe it will run from 7 - midnight based on that information.

Kman101

It's probably not advertised you can get in at 4, but that's most likely the case. Of course, I don't know that for a fact, just going by the MVMCP and MNSSHP, where it's not really advertised you can get in at 4, but you can.

And if she doesn't think it's worth it, why argue the point? Some do, some don't.

cw1982

And if she doesn't think it's worth it, why argue the point? Some do, some don't.

This.

Nothing wrong with everyone voicing their opinions on the subjects, but why do these threads about these new events have to turn into debates about whether or not the value meets the expense? Everyone has their own way of making that call. Even if the math works out to make something an acceptable price based on the cost of all of those things separately, some may feel their money is better spent on other things. Neither side is wrong, yet both sides love to try to prove the other wrong.

And it's not just this thread. It's other ones too.

Sorry... Rant over :)

djlaosc

None of your examples include food or drinks. If you ate a sit down buffet and had some drinks you would be spending much more than $100 a day but you would be getting a much longer experience and rides. It's not a great comparison. More than half of what you are paying for with this offering is the meal and the alcohol.

I would rather have it be like Candlelight Processional/MNSSHP/MVMCP - smaller price, but you could buy a dining package on top of it - it would be interesting for us to go, but as we wouldn't get enough use out of the alcohol/food, then the price would end up being too steep for us. If you could pay to watch the show and buy the food/drink separately (like Cirque du Soleil/Blue Man Group), then we might have considered it.

Bocabear

Party for the Senses is about $125 for a 3 hour event...Food and drinks, a little live entertainment...It is a wonderful night out, always tons of fun...and we never feel like we have been overcharged for what we get... So if the drinks and food are included and it is good quality food and a wonderful show, and a street party on top of that? That does not sound unreasonable to me.... As long as it does not end up being Boma with a cash bar... Sounds good to me

WDWFan_Boston

This.

Nothing wrong with everyone voicing their opinions on the subjects, but why do these threads about these new events have to turn into debates about whether or not the value meets the expense? Everyone has their own way of making that call. Even if the math works out to make something an acceptable price based on the cost of all of those things separately, some may feel their money is better spent on other things. Neither side is wrong, yet both sides love to try to prove the other wrong.

And it's not just this thread. It's other ones too.

Sorry... Rant over :)

If we can't handle a little friendly, non-confrontational debate with no name calling or belittling of others, then we might as well pack up the board and call it a day.

Sorry...my rant is over too ;)

cw1982

If we can't handle a little friendly, non-confrontational debate with no name calling or belittling of others, then we might as well pack up the board and call it a day.

Sorry...my rant is over too ;)

Like I said, nothing wrong with both sides voicing their opinions, but when it gets to the point where it's the exact same points being discussed over and over with no new supports to throw in, and yet people are still insisting that they are right and repeating the same reasons over and over, it's not much of a true debate. It's more of a "I'm right and you're wrong and I'm not shutting up until you see it my way. "

I never accused anyone of name calling or said debates shouldn't happen, but what I'm seeing hardly qualifies as debate.

ETA: this thread has not seen any name calling or belittling (yet), but some of the others I was referring to have very much included both of those things.

Last edited:

Rodan75

I wonder where the margins are on this event, the more I think about it, the costs for entertainment, staffing, and food are pretty much covered by the event ticket. I'm assuming they must have a lot of high margin premium merch and additional liquor sales to bring up the margins.

Overall I like the concept and would take part if I was in town for more than one Saturday in June, hopefully if it is good it will become an annual event. I'm all for stuff like this, as long as it brings additional value than a day at the park. This is the type of stuff they should have been doing consistently since PI closed.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
For what it's worth, I can't even fathom why anyone would want to spend that much money on this. It blows my mind that the first night is sold out. I see zero justification for how much they're charging. I just don't even remotely get it. :facepalm:

It is all inclusive; between the entertainment, food and drinks you are getting a pretty fair price.

PorterRedkey

Nobody was arguing about it. Simple statement of -- if you want to go and pay, go, if not, don't. It's an after-hours event that doesn't affect general hours or guests. If enough people show up, it will continue, if not, they will cancel.

Personally, I'll have to see some reviews before I'd book at the cost. But, I could see a night out without the kids and enjoy dinner, show, drinks and a nice evening at Animal Kingdom.

So if you have 2 kids that is in the $400 - $500 range for 3 hours at AK with snacks and drinks. You must be in a higher tax bracket than I am.
I think the show will be great so enjoy that. For me, and I think a majority of Disney fans, the price for a family is just too much.

I am also afraid of guest resenting that they have to pay $120 each to see the "good" show and regular guests get to see the free show which is inferior. Will guests wonder why they paid $100 a day to get into the park, but that is not good enough to see the "good" show.

I think this could be treading dangerous water.

Last edited:

Tigger1988

So if you have 2 kids that is in the $400 - $500 range for 3 hours at AK with snacks and drinks. You must be in a higher tax bracket than I am.
I think the show will be great so enjoy that. For me, and I think a majority of Disney fans, the price for a family is just too much.

I am also afraid of guest resenting that they have to pay $120 each to see the "good" show and regular guests get to see the free show which is inferior. Will guests wonder why they paid $100 a day to get into the park, but that is not good enough to see the "good" show.

The shows have nothing in common other than being about the Lion King. It's not as if those paying are seeing a souped up version of the day show. It's completely different.

If someone is ignorant enough to get their panties in a wad over getting the show they always did with AK admission...let them.

Rodan75

I don't think this event is really targeted as an all ages event. But you are correct paying for an entire family of 4 or 5 would be prohibitive.

PorterRedkey

I don't think this event is really targeted as an all ages event. But you are correct paying for an entire family of 4 or 5 would be prohibitive.
I was responding to a poster who thought that - it would be a fun night out with the kids. I agree, this seems to be adult-oriented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom