Harambe Nights at Disney's Animal Kingdom this summer

PorterRedkey

The shows have nothing in common other than being about the Lion King. It's not as if those paying are seeing a souped up version of the day show. It's completely different.

That is kind of my point. Day guests get to see the Lion King show that we know and love. I would argue that this is the best show at WDW. However, if guest hear about a special Lion King show that they have to pay for, will they be wondering what is so much better about the pay-show vs. the free show. If I didn't know the details, I probably would.
The nuances of free food & drink plus the celebrity narrator will be lost on casual guests. Those things may very well make this worth the price, but if those guests just know they have to pay to see outdoor Lion King show, will they just think Disney is making them pay more to see the "good" stuff. I just think some people want the full experience whatever that experience.

What is next? Are they going to charge for Candlelight Processional this year?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This.

Nothing wrong with everyone voicing their opinions on the subjects, but why do these threads about these new events have to turn into debates about whether or not the value meets the expense? Everyone has their own way of making that call. Even if the math works out to make something an acceptable price based on the cost of all of those things separately, some may feel their money is better spent on other things. Neither side is wrong, yet both sides love to try to prove the other wrong.

And it's not just this thread. It's other ones too.

Sorry... Rant over :)
It's funny how people pull out their calculators to try and prove what others should want.
Not sure if either of you were referencing anything I posted, but it kinda seems like maybe so let me respond. If not than ignore this post.

This is a discussion board. Going in we all have to understand that people will have opinions that are different from our own. When I give my opinion I usually like to state the reasons why. For me, it's not exactly a lively discussion if everyone just says "I think it's a great idea" or "I think it's a bad deal" without stating some of the reasons why. Those are both valid opinions and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I'm interested to know why people think its a bad deal or a great deal.

In reference to "pulling out a calculator" it's not about proving what others should want. Want has nothing to do with it. It's laying out what you actually get and seeing if it seems to be a good deal or not. This package has a lot of elements to it so it's not as simple as just comparing it to a show or a dinner out. In my opinion the best way to determine if this is a decent value is to compare it to very similar offerings. In this case other WDW dinner shows. Don't misinterpreted that as me trying to prove what others should want.

Back and forth discussions can actually lead to some additional information coming out that people aren't aware of. Hearing other people's opinions and the reasons behind them can be educational and fun. It doesn't always have to be a tastes great, less filling debate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if you have 2 kids that is in the $400 - $500 range for 3 hours at AK with snacks and drinks. You must be in a higher tax bracket than I am.
I think the show will be great so enjoy that. For me, and I think a majority of Disney fans, the price for a family is just too much.

I am also afraid of guest resenting that they have to pay $120 each to see the "good" show and regular guests get to see the free show which is inferior. Will guests wonder why they paid $100 a day to get into the park, but that is not good enough to see the "good" show.

I think this could be treading dangerous water.

This is nothing new. A family of 4 doing MVMCP and eating dinner at Chef Mickeys that night would cost around the same thing. Before I get accused of trying to tell you what to want. I'm not. I'm just pointing out that while it may be dangerous waters, these waters have been well tested.

Much-Pixie-Dust

That is kind of my point. Day guests get to see the Lion King show that we know and love. I would argue that this is the best show at WDW. However, if guest hear about a special Lion King show that they have to pay for, will they be wondering what is so much better about the pay-show vs. the free show. If I didn't know the details, I probably would.
The nuances of free food & drink plus the celebrity narrator will be lost on casual guests. Those things may very well make this worth the price, but if those guests just know they have to pay to see outdoor Lion King show, will they just think Disney is making them pay more to see the "good" stuff. I just think some people want the full experience whatever that experience.

What is next? Are they going to charge for Candlelight Processional this year?
I see your point about people wanting a full experience, but I think that is all relative too. Disney is expensive on any scale, that's a given, but where one stays and eats does impact the overall full experience one feels. For example, someone staying at the pop is not getting the same experience as someone with a castle view room at GF. The same goes with eating all quick service versus eating table service daily. I am sure people paying and receiving private touring experience a completely different day at the parks than most of us will ever have the opportunity to do. It's all about money and what people can and will spend. I have experience both "values" and "deluxes" at Disney and had a fabulous time at both, but the experiences were very different.

EpcoTim

Not sure if either of you were referencing anything I posted, but it kinda seems like maybe so let me respond. If not than ignore this post.

This is a discussion board. Going in we all have to understand that people will have opinions that are different from our own. When I give my opinion I usually like to state the reasons why. For me, it's not exactly a lively discussion if everyone just says "I think it's a great idea" or "I think it's a bad deal" without stating some of the reasons why. Those are both valid opinions and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I'm interested to know why people think its a bad deal or a great deal.

In reference to "pulling out a calculator" it's not about proving what others should want. Want has nothing to do with it. It's laying out what you actually get and seeing if it seems to be a good deal or not. This package has a lot of elements to it so it's not as simple as just comparing it to a show or a dinner out. In my opinion the best way to determine if this is a decent value is to compare it to very similar offerings. In this case other WDW dinner shows. Don't misinterpreted that as me trying to prove what others should want.

Back and forth discussions can actually lead to some additional information coming out that people aren't aware of. Hearing other people's opinions and the reasons behind them can be educational and fun. It doesn't always have to be a tastes great, less filling debate.

I wasn't referring to a post of yours specifically, I'm not even sure if I saw yours. Its just somewhat common for people to perceive value as strictly monetary when it is indeed much more than that.

cw1982

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't referring to you. I've already said twice that I'm all for people discussing varying opinions. It's just that there are some here who can't let things go until anyone who disagrees with them either backs down or ignores them. IMO this is just as wrong as not being able to share your opinion to start with. There's nothing mature or civil about having to always be right. Again, I was definitely not talking about you.

NearTheEars

Is it a money grab if guests are basically throwing their wallets at Mickey and co?

As far as Harambe Nights goes, no. IMO there is great value for an adult couple to attend. And me and my DF will likely book it this summer.

As far as the hypothetical return of this Diamond Horseshoe show goes (I have never seen it) I wouldn't pay an up charge to see a show that was once free.

As far as other hard ticket events goes, I, being an adult without kids yet, also see no value in MNSSHP and MVMCP. I'm sure they are awesome to others though, and that's also awesome.

wannab@dis

So if you have 2 kids that is in the $400 - $500 range for 3 hours at AK with snacks and drinks. You must be in a higher tax bracket than I am.
I think the show will be great so enjoy that. For me, and I think a majority of Disney fans, the price for a family is just too much.

I am also afraid of guest resenting that they have to pay $120 each to see the "good" show and regular guests get to see the free show which is inferior. Will guests wonder why they paid $100 a day to get into the park, but that is not good enough to see the "good" show.

I think this could be treading dangerous water.
My tax bracket has nothing to do with my feelings about this event. In fact, the post you replied to showed that I would have to see reviews before I'd book at that cost. Cost is a factor for us as it is for most people. We all have our limits and we have all have our own point at which we believe costs exceeds value. If most people think the event is too expensive, it won't last. If they have a full house (which apparently the first night is selling well) then it will continue. If nobody went to the Halloween and Christmas parties, they would not be offered.

Sometimes I think people are just jealous that someone else may have a different experience so they will bash it. I go and enjoy our trip. I've never booked a signature meal and I've never stayed in a deluxe. But if others want to and have the means, go for it!

I was responding to a poster who thought that - it would be a fun night out with the kids. I agree, this seems to be adult-oriented.

My post you replied to is below. It says we would go WITHOUT kids.

Personally, I'll have to see some reviews before I'd book at the cost. But, I could see a night out without the kids and enjoy dinner, show, drinks and a nice evening at Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom