News Happily Ever After fireworks show returning to Magic Kingdom in 2023

TrainsOfDisney

Of course. But not their history. They don't necessarily know that Peter Pan was an opening day attraction. They don't know that Walt Disney Love trains and that's why there's one that goes around the park. The Disney foamer does. And so while watching remember dreams come true they connect to these things stronger because it's more than just, I rode Peter Pan today or I took a ride on the railroad.
why does any of that matter? If people have ridden Peter Pan and seen the steam train they have hopefully made a personal connection that day.

Do people need to see hunchback, Hercules, princess and the frog, frozen, Peter Pan, etc to connect with HEA?

Disone

why does any of that matter? If people have ridden Peter Pan and seen the steam train they have hopefully made a personal connection that day.

Do people need to see hunchback, Hercules, princess and the frog, frozen, Peter Pan, etc to connect with HEA?
I already explained why it matters. Because to the Disney fanatic, it's more than just a ride.

I would argue even that is why you prefer remember dreams come true over happily ever after. Because you understand the history in that show. You understand what it's actually telling you.

To the casual guest it's probably just a collection of the attractions that they may or may not have been on. The casual Disney guest has probably only been on about 8 or 9 of those attractions today. Where as the Disney fanatic has been on them all..... And understands the history. Plus there's also some Easter eggs in the show from attractions that are no longer in the park. Definitely those references the Disney fanatic is going to get that the casual Disney guest is not.

Your mileage may vary. I totally get that. But the original question was is happily ever after better than remember dreams come true, and yes that argument can be made. You don't have to agree with that argument, but it definitely can be made.

James Alucobond

Plus there's also some Easter eggs in the show from attractions that are no longer in the park. Definitely those references the Disney fanatic is going to get that the casual Disney guest is not.
I like that this clipped quote essentially describes EPCOT Forever. It’s literally “Hey, ‘member what we used to have?” the show. Oh, and Aladdin because whatever.

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
It's hard to the top of the castle in Cliff's excellent video; but, it does show a good job of her entering frame off of Pan's shoulder and then flying across to the castle and then upwards.

This video shows her in more of a close up climbing higher and then reaching the window at the climax.

It's details like these that make HEA so special and much more than just the sum of its parts. It is the summation of all the years of MK nighttime spectaculars over the years. It checks all the boxes and then some - great fireworks choreography, outstanding musical selections with fantastic orchestrations, the wonderful intro and outro song, superb usage of the projections that repaint the castle and allow little things like Tink's flight to be noticed instead of being lost in the noise like so many other projection shows do with small details, fantastic use of spot lights (just get the big ones working again please) and lasers.

I loved Wishes, loved Magic, Music, and Mayhem, really like the 2 new seasonal party shows, liked Holiday Wishes and Hallowishes at MK. Adored Remember Dreams Come True, loved Disneyland Forever (although it wasn't as good minus the Kiss Goodnight outro), really liked Magical, didn't care for the Pixar show and the less said about Mickey's Mix Magic the better and haven't seen Wonderous Journey's yet at Disneyland.

As much as I loved the other shows, HEA is better than them all for castle park fireworks. The only thing that would make it better is perimeter shell usage... and to fix the big spot lights.

Thank you

Disone

I prefer every major castle show I’ve seen to HEA. To me HEA is just a bunch of Disney songs and images vomited on to the castle with no heart whatsoever.
Well that's definitely your unpopular opinion. My unpopular opinion was I disliked wishes. From like day one. And yes I did see it on day one and I thought it was too much of the Fantasmic storyline. Unlike fantasmis hated that the show stopped four times so that Jimmy cricket could explain what the next segment was going to be.

I do get your criticism of happily ever after. It is no doubt a clip show. But I don't think it's vomit. No more so than World of Color original version from California adventure.

In my opinion both take what could be just a simple hodgepodge of clips and puts them together to make a very emotional connection.

jrhwdw

Just saw HEA. Something was off. Projections seemed either out of focus or much more dim than before.
I know one night I saw on YT that the Strobes were turned off. Fortunately, it was only 1 Night and I'm still amazed and proud of MK that HEA hasn't lost anything and still looks Perfect 2 Months in!!!!!!!

gerarar

Premium Member
Anyone know what's going on there? Hasn't those been off since the start of DE?
*start of DE 2.0 with Mickey and Walt.

Around that time, only 4 of the 5 spotlights in the right set was working. Same goes for left set, maybe even less. So it was already in deteriorating condition before its shutoff.

Going to tag @Disney Glimpses in case he's heard anything from his sources/contacts.

jrhwdw

*start of DE 2.0 with Mickey and Walt.

Around that time, only 4 of the 5 spotlights in the right set was working. Same goes for left set, maybe even less. So it was already in deteriorating condition before its shutoff.

Going to tag @Disney Glimpses in case he's heard anything from his sources/contacts.
Thanks! I knew I saw something like that on here......

JediMasterMatt

HEA better than Remember!?!?

Most certainly.

Remember definitely has the memberberries running strong through it with the heavily leaning on Disneyland's attraction history; but, on a purely technical level - HEA does everything that Remember did; but, on a much more impressive scale. More shells, lights, and effects with a larger canvas to paint with. I can only think of the limited use of the shells around the hub (semi-perimeters) as something that Remember did that would be a net add to HEA's palette. Remember's use of them in the Haunted Mansion stretching room sequence was especially clever especially when standing in the hub. I also believe that Disneyland Forever topped Remember in terms of spectacle (really loved the search light usage and the moment where they formed the diamond over the center of the park); but, certainly didn't reach the heart like its predecessor.

Beyond the technical, HEA has many moments of all of the pieces of the puzzle coming together in harmony that resonate into something special and in my opinion, the sheer quantity of those special moments in HEA are what puts it over the top when compared to the other shows.

I knew Wishes backwards-and-forwards and for photography purposes had all of the various shell combinations memorized - especially the moments where the Fantasyland launch sites are in use as when shooting long exposure stills, you want to capture the trail at the beginning since a disconnected trail doesn't look right in the finished photo. Wishes had only a handful of moments in the show where these launchers were used as the show ebbed and flowed.

HEA has very frequent use of both the northern launch site as well as the rooftop Fantasyland launchers and they are basically intermixed throughout the entire show.

In this thread, I've previously talked about HEA's use of projection mapping in using it to repaint the castle and not just for small character sequences; but, when they do "small" moments - they really shine. I can't imagine a better use of effective restraint than the aforementioned Tink's flight; but, perhaps the flower of adversity is an even more effective use of the harmony in the technical tools available placed into perfect synergy with this show. The pace of the show slows, the lighting and music turn towards the ominous as the castle projection is repainted to appear completely different as a single character is projected unto the real balcony of the castle to speak his lines as a single shell (actually it isn't) rises in the sky beyond creating a flower stem that bursts forth in a spectacular colorful blossom. This shell has been used in other shows; but, here it is allowed to stand most effectively on its own and is uniquely captivating.

It's in these combinations of the resources available that make this show so effective. The painters have a broad palette at their disposal and have made sure to fill the entire show with these artistic flourishes. It also doesn't hurt that it has at least 3 sequences that are finale worthy moments that could be used in any other show.

I can certainly understand those that would prefer a different themed overlay to what could be perceived as a clip show. The musical cues selected I believe are appropriate and tonally fitting to the overall concept. The orchestrated choices are some of the best examples of these themes that have been made. Go the Distance in particular has never sounded better or been better implemented than it is here. In my opinion, the regal feeling the combination of SpectroMagic and Wishes was the perfect mood for MK at night. With HEA's intro and outro and overall classy use of music and technology, it continues along the same vein.

Enchantment was a miss in my book on most every front, so the reset back to HEA is a welcome return to form for me.

Disone

And that’s my point…. HEA doesn’t have anything that clever from a design element.

I’ve said before that I don’t think shell counts = a better or worse show.
But that was not his point. Full context......
HEA does everything that Remember did; but, on a much more impressive scale. More shells, lights, and effects with a larger canvas to paint with. I can only think of the limited use of the shells around the hub (semi-perimeters) as something that Remember did that would be a net add to HEA's palette. Remember's use of them in the Haunted Mansion stretching room sequence was especially clever especially when standing in the hub.
Again originally I leaned towards Remember but with the aging of both shows I definitely am now favor Happily Ever After.

I believe you mentioned Wondrous Journeys as something you definitely like.

I find Wondrous to be very much a copy, in style, of Happily Ever After. Is it not just a clip show set to an awesome arrangement of music? And if so I find it interesting that one would like that one so much and genuinely seem to dislike some Happily Ever After ( I believe you called it 🤮)

They are quite similar. While I prefer Happily Ever After, I'm definitely taking anything away from Wondrous Journey being a completely awesome production. Do I think it's better than Happily Ever After? No. Do I think Wondrous journeys is completely awesome and enjoyable, absolutely yes.

TrainsOfDisney

And if so I find it interesting that one would like that one so much and genuinely seem to dislike some Happily Ever After ( I believe you called it 🤮)
Yes, to me HEA feels like a high school drama club hired a fireworks company and put together a “Disney fireworks show” - at no point does it feel like a Disney fireworks show to me except at the very end when tinkerbell flies and the music swells with “you can fly” at that one point it works for me.

Technically it is an enjoyable show, especially when there is a light rain that really brings out all the laser effects. There are also some cool pyro moments.

But Wondrous Journeys gets it- it has heart, emotion, and all the feels from the beginning to the end. I’ve seen it the last several nights and it just gets better! (Baymax finally flew again last night, he had been MIA!)

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Yes, to me HEA feels like a high school drama club hired a fireworks company and put together a “Disney fireworks show”
Right… because this feels like it was made by a high school drama club…

TrainsOfDisney

I say they bring back a night parade and an updated Wishes next year for the summer. Not saying they should get rid of HEA but for part of the year.
I’d definitely book a trip for that! The summer nightastic (or whatever it was called) was such a good fireworks show (it was the old pirate and princess fireworks) - probably the best non-holiday show I’ve seen at Magic Kingdom. (My all time favorite will always be Holiday Wishes).

Disone

Yes, to me HEA feels like a high school drama club hired a fireworks company and put together a “Disney fireworks show” - at no point does it feel like a Disney fireworks show to me except at the very end when tinkerbell flies and the music swells with “you can fly” at that one point it works for me.

Technically it is an enjoyable show, especially when there is a light rain that really brings out all the laser effects. There are also some cool pyro moments.

But Wondrous Journeys gets it- it has heart, emotion, and all the feels from the beginning to the end. I’ve seen it the last several nights and it just gets better! (Baymax finally flew again last night, he had been MIA!)
Thanks.

Here we're just going to have to agree to disagree as I find nothing " high school drama club" ish about HEA.

Plus nothing but love for Wondrous. I just prefer HEA. The projection mapping on the castle is superior. I also believe the selection of songs in HEA is also superior. I do really enjoy the medley at the beginning of wondrous, but the rest of the show does not reach that musical climax. That may even be why I prefer HEA. The intensity of pyro matches the music better HEA than it does in Wondrous.

In WJ the music crescendos arguably with the medley shortly after the beginning of the show. The fireworks clearly peak towards the end (as they should).

With HEA the music and the fireworks crescendo at the same time during both dual finale's. No, I cannot agree with high school drama club choreographing here. This is top notch choreographing. More on those dual finalities in a moment.

The finale of the Hunch Back in HEA could be the finale of just about any show but HEA builds on that but also provides softer moments like the blooming flower and Love is an open door. The destruction of the Castle healing itself into a collaged of stained glass heros.... Get me everything. And then that final narration....

What a theme song that book ends this show.

Yeah we just disagree here. Well except I like both shows. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom