hall of presidents

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
HOP must stay, its the perfect place for some combat ZZZZZZZsss on a humid August afternoon,
Epcot has two, Universe of Energy and American Adventure, one for aech area.
MGM and AK dont need one as you can "do the park" and go back to the resort by 14:00.

prberk

The Hall of Presidents was not completely based on lincoln. It is based on a similar concept of a patriotic/presidential show concept walt was thinking about for Disneyland called One Nation Under God.

The original version of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is a narrative of various speaches done by Lincoln. Hardly any of them have anything to do with the Civil War.

The Civil War played little to no roll in the original Hall of Presidents 1971-1993, the show was changed at the strong urge of one of Eisner's friends, who actually rewrote the script to their likeing, and thus the show centers heavily on the civil war.

I loved that original speech. I memorized it for something at school when I was little, from a 33⅓ souvenir LP that I had (and still own). I have a way to burn it to CD, but I do not know how to post it on the internet, or I would do that and share it with you all....

Anyhow, I love the Hall of Presidents. It is still amazing. Some kids may "hate" boring history, but it is still critically important to know -- especially the Civil War, which really helped define our country and its values. We should not cater simply to the short attention-spans of "today's" kids -- we should mold and shape them. And building up experiences like this helps make them well-rounded. No, it's not a college course in history, but it is good to celebrate the heritage of freedom for all as the basis of our country -- and the value of sacrifices that helped us to have the freedoms that we take for granted.

So, keep it, update it with each new president (but maybe back to only Lincoln speaking), and ... give us a good AC!

Paul

MiduraMagic4

Not to be so negative about people, but I think its the state of the American people.

Have you seen when they do the "man of the street" type interviews on tv. The majority of the people cant name the current President and Vice President of the U.S., much less the older ones. Not to mention the % of people who dont vote!

I would love to have poll as people enter The Hall of Presidents and ask the same question and also do they vote. So many people complain about this Conutry and or their State but look how many dont vote...or if they do vote, they just keep putting in the same Congressmen or Senators year after year....here's to Term Limits for Congress...just like the President!..

Ok off my soapbox...thanks:dazzle:

The state of the public has nothing to do with the poor quality of the ride. I vote, am pretty well versed, an interested in politics in this country, yet I still tend to walk past this attraction on my frequent visits. So while you may believe it’s the state of the people I couldn’t disagree more stongly. It is an old attraction with poor quality animatronics and should be refurbished if not shut down. The public is more intelligent and more aware of the government than the media gives them credit for.

Epcotian

Adding a little to the problem I believe is lack of visibility. When passing through from Frontierland, my eyes are drawn toward the HM. When passing through from Fantasyland, my eyes are drawn toward Splash. 2005 was our first visit to WDW in more than a decade. After touring the MK for 2 days, I actually pulled out the map back in our resort with the question "where was HoP?" I completely missed it every time we were nearby. I wonder if a lot of casual guests walk right by it without ever realizing it was there.

righttrack

Sign of the times maybe. If for some reason, they consider closing this attraction (I hope they never do!), they can move it to the American Pavillion at World Showcase. Perhaps there it would be better received.

RiversideBunny

If they ever do decide to change it, I would like to see it become a similar attraction that focuses on the American Revolutionary War.

That would fit in with the overall theme of Liberty Square and would feature the people and events involved in the founding of the United States in the 1700's.

:)

ClasikRok

If they ever do decide to change it, I would like to see it become a similar attraction that focuses on the American Revolutionary War.

That would fit in with the overall theme of Liberty Square and would feature the people and events involved in the founding of the United States in the 1700's.

I have to agree on this...I'd love to see HoP center on something in American History that we can be proud of...Make us feel a bit more Patriotic.

Not that the Civil War should be ignored or disregarded, but maybe it could be played down a bit.

Nebrfan

I'm guessing (regardless of any President's popularity) that if a new President was elected every 4 years instead of 8 like the last two, it would not see quite the dropoff. But once you've seen it, for most of us repeat customers there isn't much of a reason to go back unless it's really hot and crowded and you want to cool off for a few minutes. I would hate to see it close as well but it could probably use a little revamping. Then again, my wife says the same about me.

disneytopdog

Last September, I visted HoP. I found it interesting that when they introduced George W a good number of people booed and when he started his speach they gathererd up there stuff and walked out. I am not a GW fan, but it did distract from the presentation.

BiggerTigger

It will be interesting to see the next installment at HoP. We could see the addition of the first African-American or first Female president. Of course, there is more than a year left before election and anything could happen between then and now. But interesting none the less to see how the would incorporate the new president.
Of course we now have 42 presidents and the roll call is getting longer, they could revamp the entire show (30 minutes of the show is just roll call of the presidents :lol: ).

But yes, there are many different attractions that could be added to the space that still invokes the ideals of Liberty Square. Only time will tell.

sublimesting

O am shocked that the first Presdient of the United States, John Hanson, of Maryland, is not in the Hall. It's true look it up....Washington was the first President under the Constitution. Even Washington refers to him as the first President (Washington was te 8th).

O am shocked that the first Presdient of the United States, John Hanson, of Maryland, is not in the Hall. It's true look it up....Washington was the first President under the Constitution. Even Washington refers to him as the first President (Washington was te 8th).

There are many reasons for this - without boring everyone to tears the first being that the Presidents as we know them have their powers under the Constitution, whereas Hanson and others were President under the old Articles Of Confederation/Continental Congress which was not working for the country at the time which is why we have the Constitution in the first place. Also, Hanson had limited powers compared to what Presidents under the Constitution have.

Believe me, if the country thought it was important to acknowledge the so called "first 7" Presidents, it would be common knowledge these days and not a trivia question. :lol:

Chezman1399

When EPCOT first opened people said it was boring.
"It's even boring to fly over.", someone said.

Maybe that's the problem with the Hall of the Presidents.
They need to make it more entertaining.
Maybe they could have all the presidents get up and do the chicken dance as the conclusion.

People still say Epcot is boring, you wouldn't believe how many people came to the Magic Kingdom wanting their money back for going there, of course all these people never picked up a map and never moved out of the middle of futureworld, therefore didn't go on any rides or see any attractions besides Spaceship Earth.:shrug:

sublimesting

There are many reasons for this - without boring everyone to tears the first being that the Presidents as we know them have their powers under the Constitution, whereas Hanson and others were President under the old Articles Of Confederation/Continental Congress which was not working for the country at the time which is why we have the Constitution in the first place. Also, Hanson had limited powers compared to what Presidents under the Constitution have.

Believe me, if the country thought it was important to acknowledge the so called "first 7" Presidents, it would be common knowledge these days and not a trivia question. :lol:

First of all it should be common knowledge as it is a part of history. If George Washington calls someone Mr. President then that's good enough for me. Second, the President is the Presdint and it doesn't matter under what document. The laws are always changing...by your rationale then the government in the 1800's doesn't count because they don't have all the laws and regulations we have today, plus there are more states now so it isn't the same USA.

Actually, the hall needs to focus on the Revolutionary War era not Civil War.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom