Hall of Blame

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You seem to have a very simplistic view of how the business world works in the 20th and 21st century. But lets continue this game for a bit longer...

Disney is not just a theme park company, they are a media conglomerate. And to expand on that, they aren't just WDW either. Now I know that you believe that Disney is going to go bust soon, but that isn't going to happen. Disney like every other company in the modern business world performs business investments in a cyclical manner. Not every business unit will get the same or continued large scale investments year after year. So for example WDW is now getting their large scale investments for their 50th. Whereas the other parks got their investments over the last decade or so. And those investments don't appear to be stopping either. With the continued expansion of Marvel announced in several of the parks including DCA. The rumored expansion of FL and redo of TL in DL. And several other projects rumored for other parks. Point is they are continuing to spend on the parks for the next decade or longer.

This doesn't even begin to speak about the investments they are doing in the rest of the company. As mentioned previously there is currently a pending acquisition happening. This investment into the Studios and others parts of the company will bring massive amount of revenue that will again lead to more investments in the company.

So again to say they aren't investing in the company is just plain wrong.

As someone for whom much of my pay comes in the form of RSU's and stock options and yes my company repurchases stock as well, No I'm not taking a simplistic view of the company or share repurchases.

But when I seen a company which over the last decade has spent 100 Billion on repurchasing shares and only reinvested 35 billion or so in the business and that includes MARVEL and STAR WARS.

And even with that huge stock purchase program Disney is down what 5% year over year before the recent market declines.

I see a company that's managing it's stock price instead of managing it's business and the one common denominator for 'value extraction' companies like Disney is they all end up in a spectacular crash 'that no one saw coming'.

Take a good critical look at Jim Collins 5 Stages of Failure, My personal view is Disney is about stage 2-2.5

https://www.jimcollins.com/concepts/five-stages-of-decline.html

One thing about me I don't mistake what I WANT to happen for what is actually happening, Example SWL was worthy of it's own gate not two pitiful rides and a couple of gift shops. Even I can see that SWL's very limited capacity is going to be a huge problem for Disney.

What Disney SHOULD have done is a full MARVEL World in Anaheim (3'rd gate) and SWL in Orlando 5'th gate it would have been a license to print money and could have been done for approximately 1 years worth of share buybacks but would have been an incentive to visit BOTH parks and lets face it a license to print money.

But honestly I don't see a scenario where Disney survives it's current management who are only interested in their personal enrichment not maintaining the legacy of one of the iconic entertainment companies

Last edited:

mickEblu

As someone for whom much of my pay comes in the form of RSU's and stock options and yes my company repurchases stock as well, No I'm not taking a simplistic view of the company or share repurchases.

But when I seen a company which over the last decade has spent 100 Billion on repurchasing shares and only reinvested 35 billion or so in the business and that includes MARVEL and STAR WARS.

And even with that huge stock purchase program Disney is down what 5% year over year before the recent market declines.

I see a company that's managing it's stock price instead of managing it's business and the one common denominator for 'value extraction' companies like Disney is they all end up in a spectacular crash 'that no one saw coming'.

Take a good critical look at Jim Collins 5 Stages of Failure, My personal view is Disney is about stage 2-2.5

I’ve come to the conclusion that you are perfect for the HOB. I mean you actually use the HOB thread as a miscellaneous place to dump on Disney. Genius.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

One thing about me I don't mistake what I WANT to happen for what is actually happening, Example SWL was worthy of it's own gate not two pitiful rides and a couple of gift shops. Even I can see that SWL's very limited capacity is going to be a huge problem for Disney.

What Disney SHOULD have done is a full MARVEL World in Anaheim (3'rd gate) and SWL in Orlando 5'th gate it would have been a license to print money and could have been done for approximately 1 years worth of share buybacks but would have been an incentive to visit BOTH parks and lets face it a license to print money.

But honestly I don't see a scenario where Disney survives it's current management who are only interested in their personal enrichment not maintaining the legacy of one of the iconic entertainment companies

If you really see what is happening then you would know that a 3rd gate in Anaheim is not going to happen. Not in the next 10-20 years if ever. The climate in Anaheim politics will not allow that to happen. So what was Disney to do? Sit on those properties, no of course not. Which then if you REALLY saw what was happening is that Disney is doing what it needed to do to get those properties into the parks in a meaningful way. It may not be what you would like or want but its the best business decision for the market/political climate that is Anaheim.

As for WDW, I will admit I'm a bit out of the loop on the current climate at WDW. But a 5th gate doesn't seem needed or sustainable at the current time. Especially when at least one of its current gates is not even an entire day park. So in way to save money (something you should like if you really are for the health of the business) they decided to take the same plan for SWL and take care of that problem.

There is plenty of SW and Marvel stories and characters for future gates in both domestic parks. So there are plenty of expansion possibilities if they ever want to move forward with those plans.

For someone who claims to make much of their money from stock options and similar forms of pay you surely don't look at the entire business climate that directs much of the decisions of a company.

Last edited:

mickEblu

No, I think it’s garbage. The script is awful and I don’t like the redhead AA.

But that’s not what I’m looking forward to at DLR. :)

Right so what I’ve gathered from your posts over the last couple weeks and the permit is we re getting a brand new scene in addition to the rethought Auction scene. Now what could it be???

EDIT: and you promised me they re not ruining the cavern scenes. My whole Disney future/ life now rests in your hands.

Last edited:

Hattieboxghost110

Original Poster
No, I think it’s garbage. The script is awful and I don’t like the redhead AA.

But that’s not what I’m looking forward to at DLR. :)

thank-you-jesus.jpg

mickEblu

Is it a brand new scene? Or is it another re-imagining of an existing scene?

Great Q. @GiveMeTheMusic ?? You re a bruh so we deserve privileged information.

I once heard Baxter talk about how they had an idea at some point to add a scene down past the pirate ship battle. He said there is a little room there and their was some blue sky plans to add a scene there where only every 4 or so boats would go down that flume and the circle back around to the auction scene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom