Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is open

JoeCamel

Enclosed spike was the big cut.

Yes, it would include demolition and landscaping. Landscaping generally is not very expensive and most of the foundations for Dueling Dragons were left behind.
You mean the queue building? The dragons footers were removed

Tonto

Also, the Universal roller coaster looks good. The best themed rollercoaster ever? Well the eye is in the beholder, but personally I can think of more than a few that surpass this. With that being said I will withhold my final verdict till Aug 25th.

My 9 year old watched the video and she said, “No hills”??? She thought a good portion of the ride was boring. It doesn’t appear to be a well balanced ride in terms of theming and excitement.
Just my opinion, certainly not a fact

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle Cake Apologist

Most guests won’t purposely seek out negative things on a new ride to post online like some are desperately trying to do here. Watch the video again and listen to the screams and excitement of the riders. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Nice take, but I wasn't purposefully seeking out anything negative. I'm a huge Potter fan and wanted this to be amazing (and, AGAIN, largely think that it looks fantastic and like a very solid attraction). Did you miss when I started my initial comment by saying that overall it looked fantastic? People are allowed to be critical of elements of things that they like.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

My 9 year old watched the video and she said, “No hills”??? She thought a good portion of the ride was boring. It doesn’t appear to be a well balanced ride in terms of theming and excitement.
Just my opinion, certainly not a fact
(I haven't watched a POV and I won't, it might be years til I ride but I want to experience it first hand)

I get what you and your 9yr old meant, but thematically there wouldn't be large hills in a forest and there is a few moments where the bike soars (and stalls) but the ride doesn't need to go high up.

If you want hills and that sort of thrill go and ride Mako at SeaWorld, if you want theming and storytelling then go to Universal or Disney. Both experiences are great, but they offer very different things. I would never expect a ride to offer both well, generally high thrill coasters have little theming and well themed coasters need to stick within the limits of their environment (a forest, a mountain, a bank vault, a gem mine).

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
(I haven't watched a POV and I won't, it might be years til I ride but I want to experience it first hand)

I get what you and your 9yr old meant, but thematically there wouldn't be large hills in a forest and there is a few moments where the bike soars (and stalls) but the ride doesn't need to go high up.

If you want hills and that sort of thrill go and ride Mako at SeaWorld, if you want theming and storytelling then go to Universal or Disney. Both experiences are great, but they offer very different things. I would never expect a ride to offer both well, generally high thrill coasters have little theming and well themed coasters need to stick within the limits of their environment (a forest, a mountain, a bank vault, a gem mine).

This could be fun..

Does anyone think Hagrid's appearance on the Magical Express was a hint to the new attraction?

Tonto

After watching the POV of this....I dont really get the hype.

\

I understand what you are saying and that makes sense.
I think my sensitivity and expectation to the ride was derived from the Universal PR machine who specifically said this would be the best themed roller coaster ever. Universal’s marketing in the past 5 years is writing checks that their attractions cant cash in on.

Do I think this is a better roller coaster than what Universal and Disney have done? That’s up for debate. Do I think its the best themed rollercoaster in orlando? NO. Not even close. Do I think its a good ride and a good addition to Orlando? Absolutely, but I had higher expectations. I get the feeling that most of the reviews for this ride right now are based on all of the excitement around it. I’m not sure in 5-10 yrs people will be clamoring as intensely for this attraction.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
\

I think my sensitivity and expectation to the ride was derived from the Universal PR machine who specifically said this would be the best themed roller coaster ever. Universal’s marketing in the past 5 years is writing checks that their attractions cant cash in on.

Do I think this is a better roller coaster than what Universal and Disney have done? That’s up for debate. Do I think its the best themed rollercoaster in orlando? NO. Not even close. Do I think its a good ride and a good addition to Orlando? Absolutely, but I had higher expectations. I get the feeling that most of the reviews for this ride right now are based on all of the excitement around it. I’m not sure in 5-10 yrs people will be clamoring as intensely for this attraction.

We do have some great coasters here in town, but I think this is pretty competitive just from watching the ride video. Sure, it doesn't have the thrills of ShieKra, but it doesn't really need too either.

Castle Cake Apologist

Where are the pros that made them think "This looks great?"

...probably everything else about the ride that they weren't critical of? Why does it bother you so much that somebody might think a couple things in the ride look off? If I say the ride overall looks fantastic, but here's 2-3 specific things that might have been done more effectively, that doesn't mean that I'm trying to trick you into thinking I like the ride and actually don't. I didn't know the Universal fandom was so sensitive... lord.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
...probably everything else about the ride that they weren't critical of? Why does it bother you so much that somebody might think a couple things in the ride look off? If I say the ride overall looks fantastic, but here's 2-3 specific things that might have been done more effectively, that doesn't mean that I'm trying to trick you into thinking I like the ride and actually don't. I didn't know the Universal fandom was so sensitive... lord.

If we're being fair here, it's really no more or less sensitive than Disney fandom. :joyfull:

Jon81uk

\

Out of interest, which rollercoaster in Orlando do you think is better themed? I would assume Everest, but you discount Disney in the first sentence.

Personally I think that from what I have seen of this it is close to as good as Everest in theme and probably in thrill too.

But for just pure thrills, then SeaWorld and Busch Gardens offer some great coasters, but they are really not themed.

Magenta Panther

I think the theming on this ride is fricking amazing. Love the idea of walking/riding through creepy shadowy castles, so I don't care if it's Rowling-derived or not. (I applaud her success, but her ignorant political proselytizing gets on my nerves). The ride vehicles themselves look awesome and unique. Hard to say from videos how effective the AAs are, though. The unicorn looks too gift-shop-cheezy (horse with a horn on its head. I prefer the more exotic medieval versions that look like a separate creature) plus that hind hoof motion looks kinda lame. But still, this looks like a stellar ride experience. I can't wait to try it in person. Hopefully I can take a trip out there this fall. Fingers crossed!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
Right, because if you got in line now, the ride and park would be closed by the time you get there. :D

I saw on twitter that the ride was kept open until midnight last night so everyone in line could ride, and that's why there's a delayed opening today. The wait time reached 14.5 hours, and it's already at 10 hours now.

Castle Cake Apologist

The unicorn looks too gift-shop-cheezy (horse with a horn on its head. I prefer the more exotic medieval versions that look like a separate creature) plus that hind hoof motion looks kinda lame.

Careful! I said the unicorn looked kinda bad, especially for being a show element you pause at, and now I'm having to defend the fact that I don't have an agenda and want Universal to fail. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom