Guests Injured By Falling Light On Expedition Everest

Bob Saget

Somewhere on that train was Jimmy Thick:
"Can you believe those doom 'n gloomers on the boards, constantly griping about how Disney is 'declining by degrees'? What a load of...."
*SMACK*

Okay, all joking aside, this really is a serious issue and I hope everyone involved is allright. Safety of guests is something that should never be overlooked when it comes to cost-cutting.

Jimmy Thick

It just sounds like human error.

Why was a portable light in the area to begin with? Did someone forget about it? People make mistakes, it happens.

Jimmy Thick-Actually, I blame the guests, its their fault.

MAF

Or maybe Disney will learn that it doesn't always pay off to do things 'on the cheap.' That "temporary" light has been in place for a very long time. It is also aesthetically unattractive. Installing a permanent lighting fixture that would have both been safer AND better blend in with the themed environment would have ... made sense. But I suppose that would have required a couple extra hours of work :brick:

Like I said before, WDW is going down the tubes. They keep charging more money, but fail to keep the standards of their attractions on par. Its very hard to be a WDW fan at this time. :brick:

TP2000

Or maybe Disney will learn that it doesn't always pay off to do things 'on the cheap.' That "temporary" light has been in place for a very long time. It is also aesthetically unattractive.

Why would they have left a temporary light fixture up like that? What was its purpose, and why have it there at all let alone leave it there for weeks (months?) ?

This just seems very odd, and if it's all true, it seems like some really questionable decisions are being made regarding the operation of DAK attractions. :confused:

scottnj1966

no pictures, kinda really makes this all just a bunch of guesses.
anyone have a picture of this temporary light if it was there for months?
anyone have this picture the person that started this thread?

IanDLBZF

Like I said before, WDW is going down the tubes. They keep charging more money, but fail to keep the standards of their attractions on par. Its very hard to be a WDW fan at this time. :brick:

209386.jpg

Jakester

This lightpole, Was it the one at the end of the ride (right after you exit the mountain after the "disco party", on the waiting track if the unload station is occupied), because Ive noticed a pole with 2lights on it, Its to the left of the train, right by the 80foot drop. If I had a picture, I'd post it.
Thats the only thing I can think of falling on guests.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Jakester is correct.

The the initial WESH (local) tv news report inuded a photo that appeared to be the kind snapped with a phone by (presumably) a guest sitting at the rear of the train, showing the light leaning against the (what appeared to be) occupied train. I haven't seen that image since that initial report. WESH suggested that there were (or at least may have been) injuries as a result, hence my use of the word "reportedly." Also according to the report, Disney only confirmed that "no guests required hospitalization" - or somethig to that affect.

As many have previously suggested, that utility light had no business being there in the first place. I've never seen it "on" while riding, so I'm guessing that it is something used after hours for maintenance purposes.

MarkTwain

Yet another incident of a "temporary" fix outstaying its welcome... and this time compromising guest safety.

Any bets on how long the nets stay up around ITTBAB before a real Tree of Life refurb takes place?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I might be wrong, but is it possible that those are actually work lights themed as temporary lights, like those you might find at an expedition camp?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I might be wrong, but is it possible that those are actually work lights themed as temporary lights, like those you might find at an expedition camp?

If so, I imagine that they would have been permanently "installed" (secured to the foundation) rather than susceptible to a gust of wind. Even the small props throughout the queue are better secured. This wasn't a tornado or a hurricane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom