Guests Injured By Falling Light On Expedition Everest

Jim Handy

I'm a little late to the party, I know. But now that WDW is literally falling apart and the only thing stopping injury is timing (luck), at what point do the right people wake up and realize they need to change something? Is it going to take another incident like what happened at BTMRR at Disneyland? I hope not.

Pixiedustmaker

Yep because that menu pops up all the time. Oh wait, no, it was obviously a very rare instance.The loudspeaker probably has to do with PA announcements needing to be audible over a large outdoor area. As for the rest of your statements, I agree that there could be more props and structures around the exterior parts of the track, but then again, the real Himalayan region is very bare and scarce.

Also, the theming of Asia/Anandapur is basically top notch when it comes to authenticity and detail. If you're referring to this, I don't see how you could call it boring.

My reply:

1. Regarding the PA system speaker, all sorts of speakers can easily be hidden from guest view. They do it on main street by hiding speakers (very large parade ones) behind of stuff made to look like window shades, screens. They went with the cheap way which is to buy a Radio Shack-level PA speaker, maybe paint it brown and hang it on a post. They could have used the same speaker, but mounted in a tree, fake tall bush, even a rock, it would still project like crazy everywhere, and if it didn't then they could spend the $40 to buy another. Believe me, I've designed plenty of things like this: They were being cheap! For a couple thousand they could hide the whole speaker system, IMHO, this whole light/speaker pole thing was a retrograde addition that was done on the cheap. If you check out parts of Disneyland and MK, they have PA speakers for the rides hidden everywhere.

2. I am referring to the lack of theming around the exterior parts of the track, you can't really see the mountain, only greenery which is pretty generic. Why not ruins, or something interesting?? Radiator Spring Racers have it right, you have a well themed fast portion PLUS a slower themed portion as well for a big E-Ticket, with a broken Yeti and crapy theming on the ride, EE primarily has its thrills as the main attraction, rather than having everything being great.

Tom Morrow

I do see your point on both, but Disney wasn't exactly being cheap with Everest. Even with the obvious budget cutting, it was the most expensive roller coaster ever built. I don't know how much of that cost was the yeti itself, but still. You're right though, had they pushed themselves further like with Tower of Terror, it could have been great.

Pixiedustmaker

If it were actually a temporary light fixture it would have looked something like this:

China_Tower_light_Light_Tower_Lighting_generator_Mobile_light_unit_RPLT40002009328927090.jpg

which it appears it is meant to look like, but there was no base or generator as seen here. This seems to be a permanent fixture that was not inspected recently.

Not necessarily . . . temporary lights come in many different shapes and sizes, this looks like diesel powered work lights, older ones. The National Electric Code allows for certain temporary lighting which is plugged in to an outlet, but even then it really has to follow certain rules and I think can only be used for something 90 days for the purposes of construction and such. The gasoline powered lights, probably big halogens spots lights, are used on construction sites where you can plug something in, like on the freeway, usually not where you have an outlet.

But there really isn't a way to put in a "temporary lamp post" that is square with the National Electric Code as nobody knows how long temporary will turn out to be. Putting in a permanent lamp post is so cheap to do (I've done it several times), that there is no reason to put in something that can ripped up later as the cost difference is not that much.

I have gotten a close look at the "temporary" lighting structures around DLR security entrance and they are metal conduit coming off from a lamp post so that they can have lights and outlets on the "temporary" security tents, It's been this way since 9/11 I guess. It's not pretty looking, but electrically its OK, as buried conduit is much more safer and acceptable in traffic areas as bare metal conduit is a trip hazard, plus could be deformed by wind kocking over the security tent. Given how clueless some castmembers are, the metal conduit could be sheared, you could have a ground fault, or a dangerous situation if not properly grounded/GFCI. I can't believe they left it this way so long as it wreaks of the temporary power supplies setup by county fairs and such.

That being said, the electrical hook-ups for the security tent at DLR may be code compliant, but this was a stupid thing to do in terms of leaving it this way so long and having the highest level of safety for guests.

Looking at Expedition Everest, I am 90% sure that what they did was NOT compliant with the National Electric Code, meaning that who installed this was perhaps breaking the law and putting guests in danger, probably because they didn't know what they were doing, which means Disney may have been hiring whoever could do it cheaply.

Pixiedustmaker

I do see your point on both, but Disney wasn't exactly being cheap with Everest. Even with the obvious budget cutting, it was the most expensive roller coaster ever built. I don't know how much of that cost was the yeti itself, but still. You're right though, had they pushed themselves further like with Tower of Terror, it could have been great.

I think Disney was cheap with EE as AK doesn't have a lot of rides, so spending a lot for a great E-Ticket made sense. The original concept art for EE revealed a mountain which was less "box-like" with a more sprawling footprint, which would have vastly improved the ride, IMHO, as currently you see boring greenery, a steep climb to the top, and not much in between. Some parts of the ride they spent a lot on, like the Yeti and the ride system, and others they obviously cut back on, as it was an expensive coaster to build. That being said, they shouldn't have gone 4/5 of the way, later they had to fix the backside of the mountain. I feel like I've seen more stuff on Big Thunder as EE has one big effect, and a couple of smaller ones, while Big Thunder has dozens of bits of details.

The Yeti lays silent, and problems with its base have been cited, perhaps if they had made 100% sure that everything was OK with the Yeti he'd still be working today.

GoofyRacer11

Its true that Disney could be a better in terms of building more e-ticket rides and maintaining effects, but in my
opinion Disney World is still a great place to enjoy oneself. Even though some say they think that Universal is going to become better than Disney, Disney is still a much better place in my eyes. Now I haven't been to it, but I can see that the Harry Potter World does provide a unique and exciting experience to guests. However, the rest of the park is lacking in more ways than the parks at Disney.

GoofyRacer11

Again I haven't been there since I was 3 or 4, but one of my family friends went there
for a day this past spring and said that a lot of the older rides were either still part of the park, but
were closed or looked as if time had caught up with them and were beyond repair. When I say older
rides I meant like jaws and king kong.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Again I haven't been there since I was 3 or 4, but one of my family friends went there
for a day this past spring and said that a lot of the older rides were either still part of the park, but
were closed or looked as if time had caught up with them and were beyond repair. When I say older
You really are behind the times aren't you. :eek:

IanDLBZF

Looking at Expedition Everest, I am 90% sure that what they did was NOT compliant with the National Electric Code, meaning that who installed this was perhaps breaking the law and putting guests in danger, probably because they didn't know what they were doing, which means Disney may have been hiring whoever could do it cheaply.
And I assume that would be considered ILLEGAL and had there been an inspection they would've been fined or better yet sued by someone. :mad:

lazyboy97o

I'm a little late to the party, I know. But now that WDW is literally falling apart and the only thing stopping injury is timing (luck), at what point do the right people wake up and realize they need to change something? Is it going to take another incident like what happened at BTMRR at Disneyland? I hope not.
Even at Disneyland the death on Big thunder Mountain Railroad was the second such incident.

If there is one thing Walt Disney Imagineerings knows how to do, it is spend money. Disney attractions typically cost well above what it would have cost others to do the same. Being the most expensive does not nessecarily mean much.

HenryMystic

Funny, considering most of the original attractions have been replaced. Only Twister and E.T. remain, and Disaster to a certain extent.

invader

Somebody else already caught you on the older rides part, but this is false also. I'm in love with WDW as much as anybody on these boards but honestly this isn't true. Uni has stepped up their game big time, lots of things are in pristine condition, far better than most of what WDW does/has.

GoofyRacer11

I can see all of your points. I never said that Universal didn't have any good rides. I wasn't sure
if the rides I mentioned were still there or not. Again I only went there once and that was 17 years ago.
Nevertheless, in my opinion nothing has been able to compete with Disney until a couple years ago. Yes,
Disney will have to fight back and prove they are what they have been declared before, the best theme parks.
If I want extreme thrill rides, I'll just drive an hour to Cedar Point. I'll probably be a die-hard Disney fan until
I die, but I will voice my opinions to Disney if I feel they are doing something wrong, and I have before.

Florida Bill

I really hate when people blatantly lie about things that have to do with Universal, people have blinders and pixie dust about their precious, wonderful, Walt Disney World. Do I like Disney? definitely, as a matter of fact my family lives 1 1/2 hrs away from Orlando and we have Florida Resident Annual Passes. We were just at The Magic Kingdom yesterday,I saw a few things like a lot of lights out on IASW and badly peeling paint and rotted wood down by the water line. It really didn't affect me though as I still enjoyed my time there.
I love both WDW and Universal and have fun at both places. Just bugs me how people lie about things just to make WDW sound like it's the best place on earth. I've seen people say things about how there are potholes and badly cracked pavement at Universal (a lie) how a bunch of rides there are run down and time had caught up with them and they were beyond repair.
Just kinda funny to me how people lie about Universal all the time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom