Guardians Tower announcement Saturday in SD ...

Buried20KLeague

I am assuming that OLC is not going to jump on this bandwagon?

I must say that WDC's marketing is quite creative in selling, now maybe a little more creative in development of new rides and shows would be nice.

Lord, I hope not. I liked the story line of that one better than the TZ.

That attraction would have been perfect if they added a 5th dimension room that fit that story rather than going with the Cali design that skips it.

It bugs me to no end that when you board in Cali and Tokyo, the elevator door opens... And you walk into a hallway and through another elevator door.

Here's hoping they're planning for a fix when they do this overlay.

Ralphlaw

Maybe I missed something, but is it basically a Guardians of the Galaxy refitting of Tower of Terror in Anaheim? That's what I'm gathering here, but just wanted to be sure.

Not taking a strong position here, but it seemed to me that ToT was far less popular at California Adventure than it is in Florida. Maybe I'm wrong, but I found it's placement within the park to be less than optimal as well.

Either way, ToT brought mystery, California History, TV history, and a unique branding to the parks. There is a maturity about the attraction that can stoke a lunchtime conversation about the Golden Age of Hollywood, the Golden Age of Television, modern gothic architecture, lightening storms, and other unique subjects. Now, its more bubble gum and comic books. I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy as a movie, but I can't see how riding a made over ToT really adds substance to my vacation. ToT is beautifully themed and uniquely Hollywood in a deep way. Guardians really isn't all that deep in any way. Can't say I'm very excited about this makeover, and perhaps I really am taking a strong position.

Either way, it'll probably end up being far more popular than the original, and the crowds will be dumbed down in the process. I also love the Monsters Laugh Floor, but the Timekeeper actually taught us something. Maybe next they'll add a few tassles and Castanets to retrofit Soarin' into Alladin's Magic Flight. Less depth, but perhaps more fun. Somehow, I'm disappointed.

FigmentForver96

I'm old enough to have watched The Twilight Zone episodes (reruns in the 70s) and I absolutely love the theme of ToT at DHS. But that's me, and I'm kinda old apparently. Since I read the ToT overlay plays on here awhile ago, I've asked about a dozen people in their late 20s and 30s (who go to WDW once a year or so) and enjoy ToT a lot, what they would think of a theme change. Every single one said that they really know nothing about The Twilight Zone tv series and wouldn't care at all about an overlay...as long as it's well themed and is essentially the same ride profile. Even several popular Disney fan sites had 'editorials' stating the same sentiment. So, maybe it's just 'cause of my age that I would not want to see a change in Florida, as is planned for Cali. Are we just old? :)
Age has nothing to do with it. The Tower of Terror is one of the best examples of what happens when a bunch of little parts come together to tell a cohesive story. From the moment you enter the park, the tower is creating a build-up in story. It reaches into the sky of Hollywood and it submerges us deeper into the feeling of being in a time and place. We walk down the street and see the tower looming as we are drawn closer and closer until we find ourselves inside. The Twilight Zone was known for creepy and unusual and the hotel is no different. The story of those five passengers is so intriguing that it almost make it seem like this was meant to be an episode in the show.

I don't really care of people haven't watched The Twlight Zone a day in their life, the story works. Listen to people ride and how they love to echo the classic words and phrases used by Rod Serling. Splash Mountain has never had any issue gathering a fan base with almost no young person seeing the movie it's based on. People who want to see this happen do not understand the workings of theme and why the tower plays such a crucial role. Those who champion this change are just IP brand advocates who drool and praise Disney when they lavish whatever piece of crap achievement they give them. It's disgusting and they are the reason Disney continues to get away with it.

ToTBellHop

Personally, I'd prefer that they announce and start the Epcot project soon as ToT is more dear to my heart than Ellen. What I don't want is for Disney to take its time here, build the ToT overlay out west, have it go over well and then decide at the last minute to give us a copy. Disney has phoned it in before.

TheOrangeBird01

Personally, I'd prefer that they announce and start the Epcot project soon as ToT is more dear to my heart than Ellen. What I don't want is for Disney to take its time here, build the ToT overlay out west, have it go over well and then decide at the last minute to give us a copy. Disney has phoned it in before.

Exactly. Does anyone know the chances of the overlay coming to the World if reception is good in DL?

FigmentForver96

I will be done with that park if they ever touch the tower like that. I don't give a damn that Star Wars will be there. I'm not going to pay money to visit a park where they don't even give a **** about the theme and hardwork done by past people. The tower is an example of Disney design at its peak! Yet they are willing to so quickly just ruin it. I would like to think the ride will be a flop but of course that's unlikely.

Ralphlaw

I think I am having an epiphany.

By adding brands to IPCOT, WDW is morphing towards the Universal park model.

Uni is not mimicking WDW, WDW is beginning to mimic UNI.

I think it's exactly the trend, and the public is at least in part to blame. We've all heard people recently say, "I'm going to Florida to see Harry Potter." I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "I'm going to Florida to see Universal." Certainly not recently.

Soon, we'll be hearing, "I'm going down to see Avatarland." Or Star Wars land. Or Carsland. That type of branding is probably the future, and everyone is jumping on board. Soon, "I'm going to Anaheim to see Marvel Land." Watch out, it's coming. In this short attention span world of been there done that, new things not only need to be added, they need to be summed up in a few short syllables. "Disney" is too broad of a term. One year it'll be Avatarland, then Star Wars land, etc . . . Such buzzwords more easily create excitement and interest, and our short attention spans let them do it. No one will say, "I am going to Disney to see all of their diverse and separately branded offerings." No, 5 syllable or less will be needed.

JohnD

Age has nothing to do with it. The Tower of Terror is one of the best examples of what happens when a bunch of little parts come together to tell a cohesive story. From the moment you enter the park, the tower is creating a build-up in story. It reaches into the sky of Hollywood and it submerges us deeper into the feeling of being in a time and place. We walk down the street and see the tower looming as we are drawn closer and closer until we find ourselves inside. The Twilight Zone was known for creepy and unusual and the hotel is no different. The story of those five passengers is so intriguing that it almost make it seem like this was meant to be an episode in the show.

I don't really care of people haven't watched The Twlight Zone a day in their life, the story works. Listen to people ride and how they love to echo the classic words and phrases used by Rod Serling. Splash Mountain has never had any issue gathering a fan base with almost no young person seeing the movie it's based on. People who want to see this happen do not understand the workings of theme and why the tower plays such a crucial role. Those who champion this change are just IP brand advocates who drool and praise Disney when they lavish whatever piece of crap achievement they give them. It's disgusting and they are the reason Disney continues to get away with it.

The idea that people have no idea what the Twilight Zone means so it must be re-themed it another IP is stupid. In Tokyo DisneySea, it was slightly rethemed to that of a crazy hotel billionaire because they've never seen the Twilight Zone but the overall concept is the same. (It would be more of a cultural hurdle to explain the TV show anyway.) The bottom line is that It tells a fresh story without an IP and works. But in the U.S., keeping a Twilight Zone theme still tells a story and why you're on the ride even if you're too young to not have grown up with the show.

Matt in the Hatt

Do Marvel fans even really care about the Disney theme parks?

Yup. Marvel is one of the cornerstones of my childhood. I don't read much of the stuff they have put out in the last few years but i still love the characters and the films and tv they have been putting out. I dont like the idea of the tower overlay unless it was a temporary one but i think gaurdians set up a great world for a ride someplace.

yeti

I'm (not really) surprised Comic Con will even have them, considering they get shafted every odd year.

Nland316

It will be beloved because today's fans are not what I would term Disney fans largely, they are BRAND extensions of the many different IPs/brands controlled by TWDC.

I would not be shocked to see them take a shot at people like myself that are critical of what Marvel and Lucas are doing to dilute the real BRAND -- Disney. It's OK, I can take criticism much better than Joe Rohde can anyway.

BTW, did you see that he retweeted @WDWFigment's glowing review of Tiffins, which by all accounts (except for crazy O-Town lifestyles with too much time and money who have dined there 10 times already) is not doing well due to its exotic menu and crazy for a theme park price points, was retweeted glowingly by the man, the myth, the earring?
I sense that any major backlash from the general public would be more the fact that it's replacing the Twilight Zone IP, versus it's actual placement and such.

Variable

The idea that people have no idea what the Twilight Zone means so it must be re-themed it another IP is stupid. In Tokyo DisneySea, it was slightly rethemed to that of a crazy hotel billionaire because they've never seen the Twilight Zone but the overall concept is the same. (It would be more of a cultural hurdle to explain the TV show anyway.) The bottom line is that It tells a fresh story without an IP and works. But in the U.S., keeping a Twilight Zone theme still tells a story and why you're on the ride even if you're too young to not have grown up with the show.

The paranormal, 'twilight zone' genre is so massively popular these days. The draw of ToT certainly does not rely on people knowing anything about the TZ tv show itself. ToT detractors using the "TZ is old, people don't know anything about the tv show" talking points are not on solid ground with respect to the what the primary draw of the attraction is.

The Empress Lilly

I sense that any major backlash from the general public would be more the fact that it's replacing the Twilight Zone IP, versus it's actual placement and such.
A problem for the public at large could be that Disney is losing its distinguishing factor. What is Disney anymore but the biggest of a whole string similar companies?

Who could even tell apart a Disney parks from a Universal one? The general public will have no idea who the park is with the Marvel superhero Fear Fall Tower of Terror.

hqdefault.jpg

Mike S

A problem for the public at large could be that Disney is losing its distinguishing factor. What is Disney anymore but the biggest of a whole string similar companies?

Who could even tell apart a Disney parks from a Universal one? The general public will have no idea who the park is with the Marvel superhero Fear Fall Tower of Terror.

hqdefault.jpg
Man I hope the rumor of Dr. Doom leaving for the Avengers is true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom