Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

TP2000

Original Poster
IHere's an example of something minor (like the TV set in the TOT pre show room) that we look over: the Rocket projection ripping a cord or cable and inserting into a Walkman As if there is some sort of entry port On A Sony Walkman for ripped gantry lift cords.

I just assumed it was Betamax. But then, I got burned on a buying a Betamax player in '82, and I've never forgiven Sony.

D

Deleted member 107043

Everyone is totally free to love GOTG. For me though, its emblematic of where we are as a culture and what we (read, the general populace) desire from a themed attraction. There's a reason screens are dominating so much these days.

In all fairness though, given the available tech and the corporate directive to get Marvel into the resort ASAP, how else could the Imagineers have achieved the same thing without screens? It's not like AAs and practical sets (which MB also has) would have worked as the primary elements to tell the escape story from start to finish in a high-speed elevator ride. Also, considering the caliber of talent in the film clips, they were done at considerable expense.

I know that there's a tendency among theme park fans to dismiss screens as lazy and cheap, but so far I haven't seen Disney use this type of technology when an experience could have been produced in a more effective way, and that certainly appears to be the case here.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Can someone help me understand something? Is there a point on the ride where the doors open and Rocket says, "Disneyland? That's thematically inconsistent."

My understanding is that the Collector's tower is supposed to literally be at DLR...so opening the doors and seeing Disneyland shouldn't be strange...right??

Hatbox Ghostbuster

In all fairness though, given the available tech and the corporate directive to get Marvel into the resort ASAP, how else could the Imagineers have achieved the same thing without screens? It's not like AAs and practical sets (which MB also has) would have worked as the primary elements to tell the escape story from start to finish in a high-speed elevator ride. Also, considering the caliber of talent in the film clips, they were done at considerable expense.

I know that there's a tendency among theme park fans to dismiss screens as lazy and cheap, but so far I haven't seen Disney use this type of technology when an experience could have been produced in a more effective way, and that certainly appears to be the case here.
I guess from my standpoint, screens are the "cheaper" (not $$ wise, but creatively) when you only give yourself 6-9 months to shoehorn something in. I've often felt that if Imagineers had been given blue-sky freedom to make a Guardians attraction from scratch, A) it wouldn't be a drop ride and B) they could have gone ultra-immersive.

When you literally back yourself into a corner though, screens are your best bet.

mickEblu

I think they did a great job with the constraints given. I just think it's hard to argue that screens are not less immersive than physical sets and practical effects.

Also, it's the ASAP part tha bothers me. It would have been nice if they gave GOTG the same treatment they re giving SWL.

c-one

I don't fully understand the kvetching over screens in this scenario because TOT was very similar -- projection at pullback, one screen at end of hallway, one screen in themed frame. The only net loss is the practical effect of the empty elevator behind the mirror/screen, and if anything that's offset by the addition of an honest to god AA in the queue.

c-one

I think they did a great job with the constraints given. I just think it's hard to argue that screens are not less immersive than physical sets and practical effects.

Also, it's the ASAP part tha bothers me. It would have been nice if they gave GOTG the same treatment they re giving SWL.
I'll be very eager to compare this with whatever GOTG attraction ends up at Epcot, if and when that comes to pass. As I type this I realize perhaps the ASAP-ness was to avoid waiting around many years as Epcot seems likely to do.

D

Deleted member 107043

It would have been nice if they gave GOTG the same treatment they re giving SWL.

I think Disney is going to have a bit of a problem when SW Land arrives because the bar is going to be raised higher than ever. Everything in the new land - from the rides to the shops to the restaurants - will make much of DLR look very mediocre in comparison.

D

Deleted member 107043

I guess from my standpoint, screens are the "cheaper" (not $$ wise, but creatively) when you only give yourself 6-9 months to shoehorn something in. I've often felt that if Imagineers had been given blue-sky freedom to make a Guardians attraction from scratch, A) it wouldn't be a drop ride and B) they could have gone ultra-immersive.

Again, for a drop ride and the subject matter how could the same experience been achieved as effectively without screens? AA Guardians?

D

Deleted member 107043

I'll be very eager to compare this with whatever GOTG attraction ends up at Epcot, if and when that comes to pass. As I type this I realize perhaps the ASAP-ness was to avoid waiting around many years as Epcot seems likely to do.

That and the fact that the sequel was set to open this year I'm guessing.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Personally, I hope the delays in converting UoE to Guardians is the realization from people with authority that its the absolute wrong fit for that park...but that's another discussion for another thread.

And my only kvetch with the screens is that it feels kind of unnecessary once you're on the ride to inject little clips to try and force a narrative into a bunch of drop sequences. I appreciated how TOT just let the up and down portion be the experience (pre and post visuals are fine). And I get that the scenes of "breakout" are actually the point of the ride itself, but I've watched pretty much all of them, and some are just strange and don't really feel like they even make coherent sense. Also, someone unfamiliar with the source material is probably going to be crazy confused.

TP2000

Original Poster
Can someone help me understand something? Is there a point on the ride where the doors open and Rocket says, "Disneyland? That's thematically inconsistent."

My understanding is that the Collector's tower is supposed to literally be at DLR...so opening the doors and seeing Disneyland shouldn't be strange...right??

One of the ride profiles has that line from Rocket. It's a bit of a dig at us on message boards who obsess over thematic inconsistencies.

And I find that line to be hilariously funny. Well played, WDI, very well played. :D

Hatbox Ghostbuster

One of the ride profiles has that line from Rocket. It's a bit of a dig at us on message boards who obsess over thematic inconsistencies.

And I find that line to be hilariously funny. Well played, WDI, very well played. :D
Nice, mild middle finger to the message board folks.

But...still...isn't it not thematically inconsistent for us to see Disneyland from the top of a ride at the Disneyland resort???
I'm probably reading WAY too much into it, I admit.

sedati

But...still...isn't it not thematically inconsistent for us to see Disneyland from the top of a ride at the Disneyland resort???
Which profile is this in? I've seen video of all six and have never heard it (though it's hard to hear any of Rocket's on-board audio due to screaming/laughing.) I have clearly heard him say, "Is that Disneyland? This is so cool!"

Travel Junkie

He says different things. I think he always references Disneyland. Sometimes is it "Disneyland whoa cool" and then yes he does say "Disneyland? that's thematically inconsistent" on certain ride profiles.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Story-wise, it seems the Guardians were trapped off Earth. Then The Collector came to Earth to show them off. So, they shouldn't really know where they are. That's why Rocket is surprised it's Disneyland he sees. And if in one of the scenarios he adds, "That's thematically inconsistent", then that's a 4th wall breaker... quite common in the comics. One of the recent Spider-Man animated series has him constantly talking to the audience. Deadpool knows he's a character in a comics. Bug Bunny would do a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom