Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

mickEblu

One of the ride profiles has that line from Rocket. It's a bit of a dig at us on message boards who obsess over thematic inconsistencies.

And I find that line to be hilariously funny. Well played, WDI, very well played. :D

I find it fascinating that we influenced a Disney attraction.

mickEblu

I think Disney is going to have a bit of a problem when SW Land arrives because the bar is going to be raised higher than ever. Everything in the new land - from the rides to the shops to the restaurants - will make much of DLR look very mediocre in comparison.

Yes but don't discount nostalgia. Wouldn't it be something If SWL will make us look around on POTC and say "I think this ride could use a nice renovation?" Doubt it but it's interesting to ponder.

Maybe SWL is so great that Disney does some big time renovations to some of the older classics as us old foggies die off.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I don't fully understand the kvetching over screens in this scenario because TOT was very similar -- projection at pullback, one screen at end of hallway, one screen in themed frame. The only net loss is the practical effect of the empty elevator behind the mirror/screen, and if anything that's offset by the addition of an honest to god AA in the queue.

The difference is that for ToT the screens were used for a special effect as opposed to just being used as a screen to show the action (ie those dreaded simulator rides). You didn't see a screen showing a hallway. You saw a hallway with a screen at the end of it.

An AA in the queue is a bonus but it's a total tease because the actual ride isn't that sophisticated. Of course when you're shoehorning a screen based experience into a drop ride which mostly used sets in a very limited amount of time some things just aren't possible.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hmmm. History is on my side here. For example, currently we have a 40 + year old parade that's going down Main Street that people still love and wait hours to see AFTER seeing the more "technologically impressive" PTN.

Yeah, and how many times have you read comments from people complaining about how tired it is. Quite often in posts here about WDW fans remark about how old and dated some features are, and that Disney has only recently shown interest in mixing things up a bit. Did I read recently that there's a major character stage show there that's been running for 30 years? Kind of shocking if true.

I'm not knocking nostalgia, but if nostalgia had been Disney's top priority as a theme park operator we would have never had Star Tours, The Indiana Jones Adventure, Cars Land, or that terrible Michael Jackson movie you love so much. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The difference is that for ToT the screens were used for a special effect as opposed to just being used as a screen to show the action (ie those dreaded simulator rides). You didn't see a screen showing a hallway. You saw a hallway with a screen at the end of it.

An AA in the queue is a bonus but it's a total tease because the actual ride isn't that sophisticated. Of course when you're shoehorning a screen based experience into a drop ride which mostly used sets in a very limited amount of time some things just aren't possible.
I think that nails the "screen" difference for me. In TOT, screens were used to enhance to show...in GOTG, screens literally ARE the show.

mickEblu

Yeah, and how many times have you read comments from people complaining about how tired it is. Quite often in posts here about WDW fans remark about how old and dated some features are, and that Disney has only recently shown interest in mixing things up a bit. Did I read recently that there's a major character stage show there that's been running for 30 years? Kind of shocking if true.

I'm not knocking nostalgia, but if nostalgia had been Disney's top priority as a theme park operator we would have never had Star Tours, The Indiana Jones Adventure, Cars Land, or that terrible Michael Jackson movie you love so much. :D

Lol.

Good point on Star Tours, Indy etc. There definitely has to be a balance between nostalgia and innovation. I was just trying to say that the classic DL attractions and experiences have cemented their legacy and I don't think that the new shiny SWL will make people feel different about POTC, HM etc. I think people will continue to be able to appreciate the classic and the new for what they are. For example when Indy or Star Tours came out, POTC didn't stop being a great attraction for anyone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here's an example of something minor (like the TV set in the TOT pre show room) that we look over: the Rocket projection ripping a cord or cable and inserting into a Walkman As if there is some sort of entry port On A Walkman for ripped gantry lift cords.

Rocket is unplugging the audio cable (the Collector uses to speak to us) from that section of the Collector's tower and plugging in StarLord's Walkman using the earphone port. Just like if you were to plug in your iPOD or other music device into the Auxiliary port in your car using the very same earphone port.

mickEblu

Rocket is unplugging the audio cable (the Collector uses to speak to us) from that section of the Collector's tower and plugging in StarLord's Walkman using the earphone port. Just like if you were to plug in your iPOD or other music device into the Auxiliary port in your car using the very same earphone port.

Really? It looks like he completely rips something.

c-one

I think that's fair, though I'd say that GOTG tells a more detailed and narrative-ish story (I won't say ambitious) where exposition may necessarily come via screens. And I'd also draw a distinction such that external action on GOTG is on screen but the actions happening to the rider (the drops) are not simulated, which is a big difference to me.

TP2000

Original Poster
Another Sunday afternoon where only one level of AP's are blocked out, and DCA appears busier than Disneyland. From the official Disneyland App wait times at 5pm today, with partly sunny skies and an unseasonably cool 68 degrees...

Guardians of the Galaxy - 180 minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 150 minutes
Midway Mania - 120 minutes
Soarin' Around the World - 70 minutes
Little Mermaid & California Screamin' - 45 minutes
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters - 40 minutes
Grizzly River Run - 40 minutes

At Disneyland, nothing over 90 minutes...

Space Mountain & Matterhorn Bobsleds - 90 minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 80 minutes
Star Tours & Big Thunder Mt. - 50 minutes
Peter Pan's Flight & Alice In Wonderland - 45 minutes
Pirates & Haunted Mansion - 40 minutes
Splash Mountain - 30 minutes
Jungle Cruise & Submarines - 25 minutes
Autopia & Small World - 15 minutes

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Another Sunday afternoon where only one level of AP's are blocked out, and DCA appears busier than Disneyland. From the official Disneyland App wait times at 5pm today, with partly sunny skies and an unseasonably cool 68 degrees...

Guardians of the Galaxy - 180 minutes
Radiator Springs Racers - 150 minutes
Midway Mania - 120 minutes
Soarin' Around the World - 70 minutes
Little Mermaid & California Screamin' - 45 minutes
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters - 40 minutes
Grizzly River Run - 40 minutes

At Disneyland, nothing over 90 minutes...

Space Mountain & Matterhorn Bobsleds - 90 minutes
Indiana Jones Adventure - 80 minutes
Star Tours & Big Thunder Mt. - 50 minutes
Peter Pan's Flight & Alice In Wonderland - 45 minutes
Pirates & Haunted Mansion - 40 minutes
Splash Mountain - 30 minutes
Jungle Cruise & Submarines - 25 minutes
Autopia & Small World - 15 minutes
Only went to Dland yesterday. It was indeed crowded, but not overwhelming as the times indicate. Should have gone on Saturday when only Sig and Sig + were allowed in though.

mickEblu

Getting the Signature vs Deluxe or lower was one of my smarter decisions in recent memory.

I had the Premium a couple years ago and then downgraded to the Southern California last year because my favorite days to go were mid week anyway. However my wife recently went back to work and Sundays suck so back to Signature/ Premium we go.

I guess I'm not that great at living in the moment at 10pm on Sunday knowing what awaits me on Monday morning.

Phroobar

The best is to get a Signature/Premium for one person in the house and deluxe for everyone else like the kids. That way you only need one person to handle parking.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I had the Premium a couple years ago and then downgraded to the Southern California last year because my favorite days to go were mid week anyway. However my wife recently went back to work and Sundays suck so back to Signature/ Premium we go.

I guess I'm not that great at living in the moment at 10pm on Sunday knowing what awaits me on Monday morning.
I feel ya. The drive home wasn't the most thrilling when you start counting the hours of sleep you'll have to make do with ahead of a busy work day.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom