Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

mickEblu

It was the same drop sequence but with no sounds or music. Serling's narration was the only thing that was kept. The beginning and the ending scenes were the same. It was interesting but with no show scenes or other effects the ride felt awkward and broken. It was also very lame as they introduced it near the end of ToT's life so you could no longer go on the normal version at night. Basically one last middle finger to the fans.

Yeah I actually didn't get a chance to ride this version because the few times I went to the park in TOTs last months I only had a limited time at the park so I always chose to ride with the show scenes ON. Would of been cool to try it once though.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah I actually didn't get a chance to ride this version because the few times I went to the park in TOTs last months I only had a limited time at the park so I always chose to ride with the show scenes ON. Would of been cool to try it once though.

I always went on the normal version as well. I only experienced the dark version (Late Checkout) once because it was that or nothing.

When they first introduced Late Checkout it would switch over at around 5:30 so I made sure to ride it just before that time so I could at least ride it in when it was getting dark. On the second to last day ToT would close though they suddenly switched it over around 4:00 and screwed me out of riding the regular version one last time. It's okay though. I'm happy that I got to ride it earlier in December on a rainy day.

Rich T

I actually like the Golden Zephyr. It's reminiscent, though a unique design, of old seaside amusement park rides that provided kinetic energy for spectators (especially at night with the popcorn lighting) while inducing a sweet vertigo in riders. When I stand at a certain angle in front of Golden Zephyr at night, I can imagine I'm at Coney Island in the early 1900s.
The others you list can go in the trash can.
I also like Golden Zephyr. It's a fun, pleasant ride--and the only ride in the entirety of Paradise Pier that really looks like a vintage seaside attraction. I also liked Maliboomer as a ride, but the thing was so ugly I'm glad it's gone. Jumpin' Jellyfish needs to go: It's one of the worst rides ever, looks like something you'd put quarters in at a supermarket, and it's taking up prime space.

Ismael Flores

I also like Golden Zephyr. It's a fun, pleasant ride--and the only ride in the entirety of Paradise Pier that really looks like a vintage seaside attraction. I also liked Maliboomer as a ride, but the thing was so ugly I'm glad it's gone. Jumpin' Jellyfish needs to go: It's one of the worst rides ever, looks like something you'd put quarters in at a supermarket, and it's taking up prime space.

I wish they had considered removing Jumping Jellyfish and then used that section of land, the hidden path behind it. most of not all of the sandy section that no one nocitces and the area used by the Brewery to create a two story eatery. They could have made it look like one of the many eateries found along Santa Monica that has an open air patio style eating area at the top. Some nice rockwork and tidel pool areas would finish off the coastal area along the new eatery and Zephyr. (There is some wonderful artwork of ideas they had considered during the remodel when they were considering theming the northern part of Paradise Pier into a cliff area with Mermaid attraction similar to the one that ended up in WDW.)
The eatery would have a simple seaside menu along with salads and bar. They could have similar menu as the bar that has huge lines by Ariels. I would leave the Zephyr in place. It is one of those rides that really fits the theme of the area. If they want to keep the jumping jellyfish, i would move it to where the seaside gift shop is now and put it as close to the parks northern boundaries as possible but actually add theming around it. They could create an area similar to pixie area in Disneyland but this one would be themed to Ariels Grotto. Some nicely placed rockwork and real plant life would create the queue and maybe even an area for meet and greet. The new eatery would also have a walk up window that sold corn dogs allowing them to remove the corn dog castle as well.

Once that eatery was done then they should consider using the plot of land used by Corn Dog Castle, Goofy sky skool and possible the Garden grill eatery for a new attraction. If the land is not wide enough then before building the new eatery the parade route can be modified a bit so that the turn is pushed closer to the land used now by the jumping jelley fish.

whatever ride is added to that corner would be themed to match the remaining Paradise Garden area and eatery.

basically whatever they have planned for DCA future they really need to consider adding more capacity to the west side of the park. As it is now the eastern side of the park goes dead in the evenign because the backlot is a huge dead space with the hyperion having the shows end early, playhouse Disney also stops showing early and the rest is wasted space. Then the western side also has issues with several main attractions closing for most of the evening because of WOC. The eastern side seems to be getting fixed with Marvel but the western side still needs at least two more indoor attractions that can stay open in the evening. With the haunted theme gone from Tower, a re-themed Mystic Manor would be great for the pier. a nice tall period specific structure for queue would work great on the old Maliboomer plot with the show building behind Screamin. If that is not possible then The shops at the pier can be relocated to a nice new structure within the old Maliboomer area. The existing shops would then get gutted and a new structure extended forwards towards the boardwalk would be built for queue. It would be similar to how they did Midway Mania. The show building would then be behind Screamin maybe replacing the Original Parade building that is back there. Only problem i see is the track sections of Screamin that are pretty low to the ground in that area

Last edited:

yookeroo

I thought I was the only one. The best thing about it for me is that it hardly ever has much of a wait. As I type this Dumbo has a 25 minute wait time and the Astro Orbitor is 35. Meanwhile Zephyr is only 10.

I like the Zephyr. Except that even the slightest breeze seems to cause it to close.

mickEblu

Seeing the two profiles side by side really helps understand the difference in tone and the level of effects between the two rides. Mission Breakout looks way better.

I disagree but I could see why a lot of people would think that viewing a side by side on video. It's funny, flashier and based on a movie that's in theatres right now. (Not saying that's why you like it more). TOT, with its mood setting being key really needs to be appreciated in person.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's funny, flashier and based on a movie that's in theatres right now. (Not saying that's why you like it more).

But even if I didn't know anything about either ride, or the GoTG movies, I'd still say the MB ride looks like the better ride.

mickEblu

But even if I didn't know anything about either ride, or the GoTG movies, I'd still say the MB ride looks like the better ride.

Right. That was only one of my three points. But the main point is that it is probably easier to appreciate GOTG (with our attention deficit these days) on video than it is to appreciate TOT on video.

D

Deleted member 107043

Right. That was only one of my three points. But the main point is that it is probably easier to appreciate GOTG (with our attention deficit these days) on video than it is to appreciate TOT on video.

tenor.gif

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think you hit on the thing that I have been feeling. TOT was a more atmospheric experience while GotG is a more visual experience. One goes to great lengths to wrap you in an uncomfortable environment and then send you off on a journey to you know not where...and the other plays like a rave club. But it just happens that right now, our society is super into rave clubs. GotG is TOT for a hashtag society.

And I in no way mean that last comment as offense to any more refined posters here who enjoy it and are above the age of 30.

mickEblu

Is it just me or is the first show scene on GOTG the most effective? The gantry lift pull back with the Rocket projection and him interrupting the Collector and starting the music. Practical effects (and good writing) go a long way in immersing the rider.

Anyway to be fair, if we want to get granular (which is what we do here) and separate story from execution/ atmosphere/ mood setting GOTG has the stronger story and writing. From queue to pre show to ride the story is solid (that's not to say the show scenes are great but there is a solid linear story). TOT s execution in mood setting and atmosphere is what it set it over the top for me. Qualities which I think are key to making timeless attractions that appeal to a broad audience.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I think you hit on the thing that I have been feeling. TOT was a more atmospheric experience while GotG is a more visual experience. One goes to great lengths to wrap you in an uncomfortable environment and then send you off on a journey to you know not where...and the other plays like a rave club. But it just happens that right now, our society is super into rave clubs. GotG is TOT for a hashtag society.

And I in no way mean that last comment as offense to any more refined posters here who enjoy it and are above the age of 30.

Haha well Said esp the hashtag comment. And no offense taken. I enjoyed GOTG but do not prefer it to TOT.

mickEblu

Everyone is totally free to love GOTG. For me though, its emblematic of where we are as a culture and what we (read, the general populace) desire from a themed attraction. There's a reason screens are dominating so much these days.

It's all about over stimulation to compensate for our short attention spans. Nothing can be subtle now. It's unfortunate when it comes to theme park attractions because this usually means more screens and less attention to physical sets and practical effects. Screens as the focal point are not immersive. In TOTs hallway I felt like I was at a haunted hotel in the twilight zone. In GOTG I feel like I'm watching a GOTG short.

TP2000

Original Poster
Seeing the two profiles side by side really helps understand the difference in tone and the level of effects between the two rides. Mission Breakout looks way better.

We also need to wait for the kids to create a side-by-side video that is edited properly. This was the first one out there that I've seen, but more will be coming. This first one wasn't edited correctly and the two videos were allowed to diverge wildly at times.

That said, I was struck by how effective the Rocket pre-show sequence is. And how much more impressive it was than the Tower of Terror show in that exact space. And for all the concern over how Tower of Terror "fit" perfectly in 1940's Hollywood Land, I still never had anyone explain what year it was supposed to be in Tower of Terror. It can't be 1939 because the hotel looks like it was abandoned for decades. So is it 1962? And why would anyone put a 1960's TV set into an abandoned 1939 hotel library? Or is it the 21st century and we are going through a hotel abandoned for 75 years where someone installed a 1960's Philco TV into the library and a 1962 episode of Twilight Zone appears? And then.... Look! It's the Matterhorn! :confused:

So confusing. But then that happens for any Disneyland ride from Walt's era to the present day if you start thinking about it for more than 20 or 30 seconds.

Guardians Mission: BREAKOUT! is just bouncy and fun, more thrilling than Tower was, and very unique. And look! It's the Matterhorn!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It's all about over stimulation to compensate for our short attention spans. Nothing can be subtle now. It's unfortunate when it comes to theme park attractions because this usually means more screens and less attention to physical sets and practical effects. Screens as the focal point are not immersive. In TOTs hallway I felt like I was at a haunted hotel in the twilight zone. In GOTG I feel like I'm watching a GOTG short.
It just makes you wonder...if TOT were being pitched today, would it ever even see the light of day? Somehow I have strong doubts.

mickEblu

We also need to wait for the kids to create a side-by-side video that is edited properly. This was the first one out there that I've seen, but more will be coming. This first one wasn't edited correctly and the two videos were allowed to diverge wildly at times.

That said, I was struck by how effective the Rocket pre-show sequence is. And how much more impressive it was than the Tower of Terror show in that exact space. And for all the concern over how Tower of Terror "fit" perfectly in 1940's Hollywood Land, I still never had anyone explain what year it was supposed to be in Tower of Terror. It can't be 1939 because the hotel looks like it was abandoned for decades. So is it 1962? And why would anyone put a 1960's TV set into an abandoned 1939 hotel library? Or is it the 21st century and we are going through a hotel abandoned for 75 years where someone installed a 1960's Philco TV into the library and a 1962 episode of Twilight Zone appears? And then.... Look! It's the Matterhorn! :confused:

So confusing. But then that happens for any Disneyland ride from Walt's era to the present day if you start thinking about it for more than 20 or 30 seconds.

Guardians Mission: BREAKOUT! is just bouncy and fun, more thrilling than Tower was, and very unique. And look! It's the Matterhorn!

I agree on the pre show. It is really good and brought that room to life. That room during TOT became stale after the first couple times.

As far as your questions on TOT, i think Every attraction requires us to suspend disbelief and look over inconsistencies. Judging by those standards and the standards set by Walt Disney himself as you said, it's hard to argue that TOT didn't fit in with Hollywood Land perfectly.

Here's an example of something minor (like the TV set in the TOT pre show room) that we look over: the Rocket projection ripping a cord or cable and inserting into a Walkman As if there is some sort of entry port On A Walkman for ripped gantry lift cords.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom