Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Miceberg

Is it just me or do most people get " I want you back?"There are 2-3 of them that nobody seems to get. I wonder if all the scenarios are playing.

I rode six times this weekend and had four different songs, none of which repeated in the same gantry lift. I agree with the previous poster about "Burnin' Love", IMHO it's the weakest song and the accompanying scenes don't make a lot of sense. "Free Ride", "Born to be Wild" and "I Want You Back" all worked well and were much more fun than "Burnin' Love".

mickEblu

I rode six times this weekend and had four different songs, none of which repeated in the same gantry lift. I agree with the previous poster about "Burnin' Love", IMHO it's the weakest song and the accompanying scenes don't make a lot of sense. "Free Ride", "Born to be Wild" and "I Want You Back" all worked well and were much more fun than "Burnin' Love".

I got "Free Ride" and "We Want the Funk." To be honest the rides are such a blur I cannot tell if there were any differences with the drop sequences. The only difference that sticks out in general is the Guardians floating in the air during "Free Ride" and Peter Quill kicking something at the Guardians sign and cheering during "We want the Funk." Other than they may as well be the same ride which is interesting because it kind of defeats the purpose of all of the ride scenarios. It all so chaotic and goes so fast I'm not sure the rider gets to appreciate the different profiles.

On another note is it just me or is there not one drop in the entire ride that goes the entire distance (opening doors at the top of the tower to the bottom) as the final drop in TOT did? I'm sure I'm wrong or at least hoping I am.

All of the drops feel bouncier. I'm not feeling the same level of suspense/ thrill as I did on the TOT drops. With that said MB is still a lot of fun and has a lot of energy.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Peter Quill kicking something at the Guardians sign and cheering during "We want the Funk."

He kicks one of those mini dino reptiles that was at the very beginning of Vol 1 when the movie began with him dancing toward the Infinity Gem when he broke into the temple.

In the movie, he kicks some of those same minidinos.

In M:B, after he kicks one, several dozen swarm on him knocking him over.

Rich T

The space voyager is referred to as 'he'. Sorry, ladies! You'll have to sit this masculine cosmic journey out. There are no women in space.
"Now men with dreams are furthering
What nature first began
Making modern miracles
From molecules
For MAAAAAANNNNN!" :D

In the 60's/70's, women didn't even get a share of the miracles from molecules! :D

Last edited:

Rich T

Space Mountain captures the essence of Superspace. The expectant “space voyager” is transported through the space station launch portal, and through the vast man-made “solar field.” He then orbits the glowing “satellite,” become engulfed in spectacular nebulae and plunges past myriads of strange stars and unknown galaxies to being reentry.

Huh? Granted it's a far more accurate description of Space Mountain than the spin given to Sea World's new peoplemover, but still.
I love how hilarious and sarcastic the quotation marks make "Space Voyager," "Solar Field," and "Satellite" sound. I guess it's for legal reasons, but nowadays you can picture the speaker using air quotes and rolling his eyes. :D

Miceberg

On another note is it just me or is there not one drop in the entire ride that goes the entire distance (opening doors at the top of the tower to the bottom) as the final drop in TOT did? I'm sure I'm wrong or at least hoping I am.

I think it's pretty random, but I'm pretty sure we had the complete drop during two different scenarios. On one of them, my purse floated past my face and landed in the row behind me.

To be honest the rides are such a blur I cannot tell if there were any differences with the drop sequences.

The blur factor was pretty high for me the first two rides, after that it was easier to focus on what was happening on the screens. On ride #3 (for me, ride #2 for DD) I asked DD if she liked how Baby Groot's actions fit in with the drop sequences. She replied, "Baby Groot was there? I didn't see him."

Definitely deserves to be ranked with such winners as Jumping Jellyfish, the Golden Zephyr, the SS Rustworthy and the Maliboomer.

I actually like the Golden Zephyr. It's reminiscent, though a unique design, of old seaside amusement park rides that provided kinetic energy for spectators (especially at night with the popcorn lighting) while inducing a sweet vertigo in riders. When I stand at a certain angle in front of Golden Zephyr at night, I can imagine I'm at Coney Island in the early 1900s.
The others you list can go in the trash can.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Now the ride experience. Gosh, where do I start? The word used over and over when describing the experience is "chaos." Which is a great way to describe it but I will also use the word "incoherent." I just saw GOTG 2 and really liked the movie and this ride definitely captures all of the energy, comedy and spirit of the film but it's still kind of hard to follow along with what's going on. Basically yes, it's a very simple storyline but as soon as you get shot up (By the way I really like the pull back scene with the Rocket projection) it all just goes really fast. A lot bouncing up and down. And when you do see the digital show scenes, all of which are at the old mirror scene, they re already in action as if you walked into the middle of a movie. You can't really hear what the Guardians are saying and you have the uppity oldie song playing in the background. It's almost like they went with the POTC "cocktail conversation" approach but it's harder to pull off here because of the speed at which everything is happening. I think this approach will possibly make the ride more repeatable for many guests. It's just so Chaotic that it will make it harder for the attraction to get old for people when they can't recite lines and have no idea what's going on. Maybe this ride becomes a classic because of how different it is? Who knows? It's not my favorite approach but it works in its own way.

I agree with all of this. There's a difference between goofy nonsense fun and badly directed visual noise. In M:BO you barely get the chance to look at anything before you're rushed to the next scene or gag. It's not hard to imagine the poor Imagineers who were forced to put this thing together were told to make it faster and more intense while forgetting that you need quiet scenes to give contrast to the action. Without those moments it just becomes a fatiguing mess.

mickEblu

I agree with all of this. There's a difference between goofy nonsense fun and badly directed visual noise. In M:BO you barely get the chance to look at anything before you're rushed to the next scene or gag. It's not hard to imagine the poor Imagineers who were forced to put this thing together were told to make it faster and more intense while forgetting that you need quiet scenes to give contrast to the action. Without those moments it just becomes a fatiguing mess.

Yeah they definitely captured the spirit of the movie. The funny thing is I don't even find MB more intense. So far, after riding twice, I feel that TOT was more thrilling. I think GOTG is bouncier and unpredictable. What I'm not 100% sure about is if the TOT drop sequence itself was more thrilling or if it felt more thrilling because of the suspense/ build up. Probably a combination of both.

George Lucas on a Bench

The best drop sequence was the one they had right before ToT closed where they just turned out the lights and let you dangle in midair in silence, not knowing when you were going to drop. I think I mentioned that before. I was pleasantly surprised by that on my last ride.

mickEblu

The best drop sequence was the one they had right before ToT closed where they just turned out the lights and let you dangle in midair in silence, not knowing when you were going to drop. I think I mentioned that before. I was pleasantly surprised by that on my last ride.

Did the drop sequence actually change? I thought they just turned off the show scenes?

George Lucas on a Bench

Yeah, I think that's what it was, but it was better than way.

Cmon y'all! Let's get that mailboomer back up and runnin!

Well, I know you love Tower and I loved it too for what it was. That being said, even with Tower, it was up and down wheeee once you were on the elevator. No real payoff in terms of a storyline. I mean, at all. Just a cool eerie buildup to a freefall ride. Even the MGM Studios version which thinks it's fancier because the elevator moves forward through a scene (DCA's immediately went into reverse--does that feature come standard with 1930s service elevators or are we on the turbolift from Star Trek?) is just up and down wheeee, only with a bonus eyeball floating in space. Tower never told a good story. In fact, it told a really bad one. This is supposed to be an episode of The Twilight Zone? Awesome theming and fun drops, though.

mickEblu

Yeah, I think that's what it was, but it was better than way.

Well, I know you love Tower and I loved it too for what it was. That being said, even with Tower, it was up and down wheeee once you were on the elevator. No real payoff in terms of a storyline. I mean, at all. Just a cool eerie buildup to a freefall ride. Even the MGM Studios version which thinks it's fancier because the elevator moves forward through a scene (DCA's immediately went into reverse--does that feature come standard with 1930s service elevators or are we on the turbolift from Star Trek?) is just up and down wheeee, only with a bonus eyeball floating in space. Tower never told a good story. In fact, it told a really bad one. This is supposed to be an episode of The Twilight Zone? Awesome theming and fun drops, though.

Well when you word it like this it makes a lot more sense and is a lot different than how you minimized it in your last post. I agree the story wasn't strong because as you say how great can a story be on a quick drop ride? Their is an extremely limited amount of time to tell any story effectively but they made up for it with the execution and themeing. The twilight zone references (Rods narration more than anything) was a fantastic mood setter. I never thought that we were supposed to be in a TZ episode.

Oh ya, I don't think over analyzing the ride system is a good idea cuz we can do that with every ride. I don't think we can consider ride vehicles (from a mechanics standpoint) as part of the story. Plus it's the twilight zone. Weird things happen.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Did the drop sequence actually change? I thought they just turned off the show scenes?

It was the same drop sequence but with no sounds or music. Serling's narration was the only thing that was kept. The beginning and the ending scenes were the same. It was interesting but with no show scenes or other effects the ride felt awkward and broken. It was also very lame as they introduced it near the end of ToT's life so you could no longer go on the normal version at night. Basically one last middle finger to the fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom