Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

I have little love for TOT at DCA. It's ugly and cheap looking and the ride experience isn't particularly great or interesting. It doesn't hold a candle to the one at DHS, and the TDS incarnation is superior to it as well. DCA and WDS got the short end of the TOT stick for sure.

The new attraction sounds fun and more repeatable. I hope they keep some of the creep factor involved, as TOT is DCA's only "spooky" attraction. The exterior looks elaborate and so does the interior concept art. This is about the best case scenario for a permanent overlay that I can envision. Rohde is great at his job, and he won't leave any stones unturned, even on an overlay. Very much looking forward to the other attractions that will be announced in the future.

I doubt their will be any creep factor being that they re sticking to the soundtrack from the movie and they used the word "comical" over and over again. And I also now doubt anyone at Disney knows what they re doing.

GiveMeTheMusic

I doubt their will be any creep factor being that they re sticking to the soundtrack from the movie and they used the word "comical" over and over again. And I also now doubt anyone at Disney knows what they re doing.

Well, Iger and Chapek certainly don't. But that's not news.

While the all-new GOTG ride at Epcot will no doubt be superior to the TOT overlay, I find it more disturbing than this change, as it will thematically break Future World once and for all.

brb1006

The Disney Parks facebook page is getting alot of negative feedback right now. There have also been reports of people booing at the Marvel Panel at Comic Con 2016 after the announcement.

GiveMeTheMusic

Can you say if any of that still involves Timon lot? It's an interesting thematic choice on the exterior for what essentially has to become part of that expansion space.

I honestly don't know - haven't been able to get an answer on the intended new footprint. I'm inclined to believe MiceChat as they have good sources.

mickEblu

Well, Iger and Chapek certainly don't. But that's not news.

While the all-new GOTG ride at Epcot will no doubt be superior to the TOT overlay, I find it more disturbing than this change, as it will thematically break Future World once and for all.

Your right but I don't have any emotional attachment to EPCOT as I have never been.

PorterRedkey

I hope it is great, but so far it looks like the attraction will just be shoehorned in - like Frozen in Norway. Maybe it will be fun, but it seems weird to have a GotG ride and then the Hyperion Theater with the Frozen show right next to it. Especially when the other Marvel attraction are currently marked for Mad tea party area.

Marvel land is where the Monster's dark ride is now. So if you take a few steps, there is the Hollywood theater showing Frozen, then walk a few feet more and you will find a GotG-themed ToT is there. Marvel->Frozen->GotG. How does this make sense? This is a cheap and sad push for Marvel to get into the parks. I hope "Chappie" doesn't last long.

I hate this move in more ways than one and the fact the Joe Rhode is schilling for it makes me even sadder.

mickEblu

The only positive thing I read was "randomized drop sequences." I was at least hoping they kept the Hotel (and came up with a stupid backstory of why the Guardians are at an old Hotel in Hollywood ) and the distorted jazz music outside. Only because I love the old Hollywood theme but I Guess that's not happening. This all but confirms Marvel land is happening. So Hollywood land becomes a strip between the backlot and Mission Breakout (rolls eyes). And what about Hyperion?

Speaking of Old Hollywood ...To this day, people (including a lot of young people) throw Roaring 20's parties. My 17 year old cousin just did last year. How many GOTG themed parties have you been invited to?

George Lucas on a Bench

Rohde, ever-enthusiastic, attempts to soften the blow, telling us how "very exciting" and "insanely fun" it will be, while drawing attention to the weird ornamental earring hanging from his disgusting stretched-out ear. Gross.

320x240.jpg

Oh, and the attraction itself? I can't muster up any enthusiasm. Sorry, but I actually enjoy the dinky Tower of Terror as-is at DCA and I don't care for Marvel funny books. I also don't care if Disney now owns this stuff, I'm not going to embrace it. Ever.

Californian Elitist

Since I have little to no emotional attachment to DCA, despite the fact I grew up with the park, this doesn't anger and bother me as much as SWL in Disneyland (that's FAR worse). I have to admit it does sound cool. In saying this, Iger's obsession with putting IP-based attractions in the parks cannot be denied, and it has gotten completely out of hand. Hollywood Land is a complete mess as it is now, and I guess a Marvel-themed area will at least be more cohesive as a land, I'm assuming (we'll have to wait and see), but what exactly does Marvel have to do with California? No, the fact that Marvel is headquartered in California is not a legitimate excuse. And how will other Hollywood Land attractions fit in?

The IP disease continues to spread throughout the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom