Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Antaundra

I have faith that non IP attractions will return at some point in the future. I don't think we'll see them anytime soon but trends are cyclical I'm sure eventually non IP attractions will become popular again. In the meantime I'll enjoy whatever Disney builds as long as it's a fun immersive experience. The next time they try to sell Rocket Rods as an E ticket I'll conplain about the poor decisions of Disney executives.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
@nevol had a nice post a few pages back about how the strategy has changed. These images actually provide a nice contrast and counterpoint to the current model - where the parks are treated as vehicles for the marketing of studio IPs - by elaborating on how the parks can be an independent and complementary medium.

I don't want to completely dis-rail this thread any more than it already is, but I will kindly disagree. I don't feel the current model is really all that different than back when those flow charts were created.

The circular synergy to and from the parks into all parts of the company has always been there. From everything like promoting current movies to tv shows, to even promoting their current stable of stars and popular music at the time. Does anyone remember the Disneyland TV show that showed up and coming movies and stars? Or how about when the Osmonds got lost in DL? Or how about the records released by Disney Records on the Haunted Mansion. The parks have always been at the center of a lot of what the company has done. Even in recent times launching complete movie franchises.

As @Practical Pig was saying the company just has more IPs to choose from now so it just seem like its their only mission.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

To be fair, you asked me like a week and a half ago to stop discussing it with you. :p

How did I know someone was going to bring this up? Didn't think it'd be this quick. Lol.

There's a difference between going in circles over one sub-topic in 10+ posts and agreeing to disagree and someone discouraging those who oppose to shorten their posts and stop expressing their views in general because they don't matter at all. Agreeing to disagree with you didn't mean I never wanted to hear another word from you at all regarding the topic at hand. Trust me, if I suggest agreeing to disagree, it means I like you and I recognize the conversation may be getting a little awkward and maybe even hostile, and I want to keep the peace.

People are indeed cranky and short with others. It wasn't always like this. When I first joined some years ago, the Disneyland forum was peaceful and fun. Over the past year it has changed greatly, and not in a good way, in my opinion.

Practical Pig

I don't want to completely dis-rail this thread any more than it already is, but I will kindly disagree. I don't feel the current model is really all that different than back when those flow charts were created.

I think the main difference is simply in relative degrees of magnitude in modern media. The model is very similar, but as the prominence and profit of Disney-branded films have skyrocketed from those early days, the dominance and importance of the studios in the synergy model has increased exponentially. Disney comic strips ... not so much.

BrianLo

People are indeed cranky and short with others. It wasn't always like this. When I first joined some years ago, the Disneyland forum was peaceful and fun. Over the past year it has changed greatly, and not in a good way, in my opinion.

I brought this up in the Star Wars thread. The Carsland construction thread had 27 pages total over 3 years. It's mostly because there has been an absolute explosion in the number of people participating in this forum.

Which is a great thing, but naturally it's going to lead to a lot more dissenting opinions. I wouldn't disparage it though, it's much better to have these strongly dissenting opinions than a board that was tumbleweeds, but 'peaceful'.

nevol

@nevol had a nice post a few pages back about how the strategy has changed. These images actually provide a nice contrast and counterpoint to the current model - where the parks are treated as vehicles for the marketing of studio IPs - by elaborating on how the parks can be an independent and complementary medium.

Thank you for that. In my post, I clearly just answered the question of how the Guardians IP-implementation differed from previous IP-projects. I am staying neutral on tower, just making observations about things that some people happen to like and some people hate.

I am guessing that I'm the person people are criticizing for writing long posts with big words. I'm embarrassed for others when somebody asks a question and I give the clearest, most objective response in 180 pages, and people refuse to read it because its "too long." Notice how you continue to ask the same question over and over and over again; if you could sit through my 1000 words, which would just take 5 minutes, I'd actually end up saving you a heck of a lot of time. It is on page 177, people. I numbered and lettered my points and sub points, so if you want the cliff's notes, jump to those for a one sentence summary of the attached paragraph.

Professortango1

Some people won't even enter Star Wars land because it would cause too much stress in their life.

I remember when everyone hated Pixar in the parks (especially Disneyland) because it wasn't "Disney" whatever that means. Disney fans always hate what is new but embrase after seeing it's not so bad on opening day.

I opposed Pixar attractions because they didn't fit the land and Pixar's films are more introspective and nuanced making a ride adaptation a more difficult translation of the material.

Buzz barely fits, Nemo doesn't fit at all, and Midway Mania works a lot better in DHS than in Paradise Pier. Monsters Inc doesn't fit in any of the parks, even if the Tokyo version is a great attraction.

Curious Constance

It's always those who don't favor a decision by Disney that get told to basically shut up because "it doesn't matter anyway." Rarely, if never, is it the opposite. Those who oppose should just keep their opinions to themselves and let those who are in favor have their fun. What I really get a kick out of are those who seem to get mad at those of us with opposing views. I find it weird, since they're getting their way in the long run.

Those of you who are in favor of this project, please continue to voice your opinions. Those of you who aren't, please continue to voice your opinions. LET EACH OTHER BE AND STOP TRYING TO STOP DISCUSSION. And don't let the length of your posts discourage you either. And your opinions DO matter. What would be the point of a discussion forum?

Those of you who might want some of us to keep our mouths shut, since it doesn't matter anyway, here's the sign up link to DisBoards below. Nothing but positivity there, and those with opposing views usually aren't welcomed, making discussions one-sided and quite boring. I'm sure you'd love it there.

https://www.disboards.com/

Oddly enough, a couple pages back Raven made a comment about some people being able to accept any and all change and will make any excuses to justify it, then went on to say it may be a waste of time to ask them questions about their opinions because of that. She's also made several snide comments such as referencing the "dumb " people who will lap up Star Wars land. Really there are lots of people who disagree with me on this forum but only a select few who I feel cross the line and become unpleasant to others.

And oddly enough I believe the comment that I made that got me "ignored" was stating I felt a Micechat reporter was "acting like a four year old" and since she apparently agreed with the reporter she took offense.

Ugh, I am cranky and wish the TOT had never been born!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think the main difference is simply in relative degrees of magnitude in modern media. The model is very similar, but as the prominence and profit of Disney-branded films have skyrocketed from those early days, the dominance and importance of the studios in the synergy model has increased exponentially. Disney comic strips ... not so much.

Agreed, as the mediums have changed so does the magnitude at which they are used to promote the brands.

Although with Marvel on-board I have a feeling Disney Comics may see a resurgence into graphic novels... ;)

D.Silentu

In light of the turn this conversation has taken, I admit I constantly check on this thread in hopes of hearing some news from the project in question. Many thanks to those who post picture updates! We have a good idea now of what the outside will be, for better or worse. My curiosity has turned inward. How much of the boiler room will be retained? (Will that accursed fan they glued to wall, and didn't bother to paint behind, so you always knew it was a glued on fan and not an air duct, still be there to annoy me?) What about animatronics, will there be any. The ride will get a few more points from me if there is an animatronic Rocket Raccoon. We have two months from today to speculate.

Practical Pig

Agreed, as the mediums have changed so does the magnitude at which they are used to promote the brands.

Although with Marvel on-board I have a feeling Disney Comics may see a resurgence into graphic novels... ;)

Ah! I was showing my age and general lack of interest in the Marvel universe. Although I did recently watch and love Deadpool. I wonder what WDI could do with that?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ah! I was showing my age and general lack of interest in the Marvel universe. Although I did recently watch and love Deadpool. I wonder what WDI could do with that?

Well since Deadpool is part of the X-Men family. I'm not sure if they can do anything with him given the Universal contract. Also since its Rated R, I wouldn't think they'd want to add him into P&R.

But it is an interesting idea of the things they could come up with...

Can't wait for Deadpool 2.

Practical Pig

Well since Deadpool is part of the X-Men family. I'm not sure if they can do anything with him given the Universal contract. Also since its Rated R, I wouldn't think they'd want to add him into P&R.

But it is an interesting idea of the things they could come up with...

Can't wait for Deadpool 2.

All of that came pre-agreed. I tend towards the facetious end of the spectrum.:D

rle4lunch

Lol, reading thru some of these comments makes me worry about humanity just *that* much more. For people to take *offense*to what someone else posted online semi anonymously hiding behind an avatar and username is just ridiculous. Everyone has their own opinion, no one is right or wrong. I could give two poops what others thought of me on these boards or if I was "reported" to the admins for saying something inflammatory. It's a website, a place we go to waste time and to see what's happening in the Disneyverse. People that take themselves so seriously on here (and other social media outlets and sites) should probably reevaluate their life and realize that their priorities are severely screwed up.

With that, I hope you're all having a great week and I can't wait to visit DL in a few weeks, as its been a year and a half since our last visit.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I brought this up in the Star Wars thread. The Carsland construction thread had 27 pages total over 3 years. It's mostly because there has been an absolute explosion in the number of people participating in this forum.

Which is a great thing, but naturally it's going to lead to a lot more dissenting opinions. I wouldn't disparage it though, it's much better to have these strongly dissenting opinions than a board that was tumbleweeds, but 'peaceful'.

I loved how it was before lol. I honestly don't remember you posting here (in the DL forum) a lot back in 2012 and onward, but if you did, you'd remember there were indeed disagreements, however people were actually nice about them and there weren't attacks, like now. I'll take that over how it is now any day, no offense to anyone.

Californian Elitist

Lol, reading thru some of these comments makes me worry about humanity just *that* much more. For people to take *offense*to what someone else posted online semi anonymously hiding behind an avatar and username is just ridiculous. Everyone had their own opinion, no one is right or wrong. I could give two poops what others thought of me on these boards or if I was "reported" to the admins for saying something inflammatory. It's a website, a place we go to waste time and to see what's happening in the Disneyverse. People that take themselves so seriously on here (and other social media outlets and sites) should probably reevaluate their life and realize that their priorities are severely screwed up.

Who is offended?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom