Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

britain

I wonder if people would be so bothered if this was 2004, back when DCA was still finding its footing, and this was what they built instead of TOT. Or if this were being built from the ground up as an addition to Shanghai or Hong Kong. I feel like it's impossible for DL regulars to look at this project objectively because they have such an attachment to what was there before.

Think of how jazzed we'd be that we're going to get our own ToT, but one that's totally unique and not a clone!

Phroobar

It just needs more pipe.

or
More-Cowbell-SNL-Sketch.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

I wonder if people would be so bothered if this was 2004, back when DCA was still finding its footing, and this was what they built instead of TOT. Or if this were being built from the ground up as an addition to Shanghai or Hong Kong. I feel like it's impossible for DL regulars to look at this project objectively because they have such an attachment to what was there before.

I hated TOT at DCA since the first piece of concept art, so I have zero attachment and welcomed the GOTG changeover. That doesn't make the new facade good - from a design standpoint, it's just bad. It would be bad in 2004, it would be bad in Shanghai - it's bad. It has no purpose or guiding principles or themes - even its designers can't articulate what it is or what it's supposed to be. The colors, the pipes, the black stripe, the satellite dishes - none of it can be explained or has any purpose on the overall structure. It doesn't even come from the film its based on. It's mind boggling.

D

Deleted member 107043

Think of how jazzed we'd be that we're going to get our own ToT, but one that's totally unique and not a clone!

Yeah, I mean that's the thing right? The intense passion for this stuff is so diverse it's sometimes difficult for me to understand what the fan community at large legitimately wants or approves of. Is it bad to clone things or good? Is an emphasis on Studio IP OK or not? If so how much is not enough or too much? Are we good with external IP or should everything be home grown? What about IP that came to Disney from an acquisition? What things are OK to remove without launching an online ruckus? And don't forget while you're addressing all of this be careful to handle Disneyland's over-hyped legacy with white gloves. Heaven forbid a window is askew or a theme isn't flawlessly aligned to a story being told.

It's really no wonder Disney forged ahead with this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

britain

I hated TOT at DCA since the first piece of concept art, so I have zero attachment and welcomed the GOTG changeover. That doesn't make the new facade good - from a design standpoint, it's just bad. It would be bad in 2004, it would be bad in Shanghai - it's bad. It has no purpose or guiding principles or themes - even its designers can't articulate what it is or what it's supposed to be. The colors, the pipes, the black stripe, the satellite dishes - none of it can be explained or has any purpose on the overall structure. It doesn't even come from the film its based on. It's mind boggling.

Yeeeeah, all true. I'm just saying I think it's STILL a better backdrop for Carthay than ToT.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, I mean that's the thing right? The intense passion for this stuff is so diverse it's sometimes difficult for me to understand what the fan community at large legitimately wants or approves of. Is it bad to clone things or good? Is an emphasis on Studio IP OK or not? If so how much is not enough or too much? Are we good with external IP or should everything be home grown? What about IP that came to Disney from an acquisition? What things are OK to remove without launching an online ruckus? And don't forget while you're addressing be careful to handle Disneyland's over-hyped legacy with white gloves. Heaven forbid a window is askew or a theme isn't flawlessly aligned to a story being told.

With as many questions as you've asked there, you'll get 100 different answers from the fan community for each one. And then there will 100s of pages of discussion on those questions and answer, and why some questions were left off and why xyz wasn't taken into account. Then a poll will be taken, lines will be drawn, and feelings will be hurt....

mickEblu

Yeah, I mean that's the thing right? The intense passion for this stuff is so diverse it's sometimes difficult for me to understand what the fan community at large legitimately wants or approves of. Is it bad to clone things or good? Is an emphasis on Studio IP OK or not? If so how much is not enough or too much? Are we good with external IP or should everything be home grown? What about IP that came to Disney from an acquisition? What things are OK to remove without launching an online ruckus? And don't forget while you're addressing be careful to handle Disneyland's over-hyped legacy with white gloves. Heaven forbid a window is askew or a theme isn't flawlessly aligned to a story being told.

Disney forged ahead for one reason only. The person who called the shots is a marketing guy that doesn't even understand his own brand. It had nothing to do with what the fans want or don't want.

mickEblu

I think putting quality and creativity over synergy and expedited timelines is a good place to start.

mickEblu

Well I can give you my answer for all your questions.

Clones- personally don't mind them so long as they are cloning something of quality and it isnt a watered down version. (Yes I know DCAs TOT apparently is just that but I've never been to WDW). Although I have read strong cases on why certain aspects of DCAs TOT is better.

IP- I welcome all IP including acquisitions as long as it doesn't intrude on theme / ambiance and is implemented in a clever way. I'm more of a sticker for exteriors and not interiors. For example the Little Mermaid doesn't really fit at Paradise Pier but the exterior does and that doesn't make it nearly as "bad" as a 20 story cartoony building that can be seen from all over the resort.

Last edited:

dweezil78

Yeah, I mean that's the thing right? The intense passion for this stuff is so diverse it's sometimes difficult for me to understand what the fan community at large legitimately wants or approves of. Is it bad to clone things or good? Is an emphasis on Studio IP OK or not? If so how much is not enough or too much? Are we good with external IP or should everything be home grown? What about IP that came to Disney from an acquisition? What things are OK to remove without launching an online ruckus? And don't forget while you're addressing all of this be careful to handle Disneyland's over-hyped legacy with white gloves. Heaven forbid a window is askew or a theme isn't flawlessly aligned to a story being told.

I definitely was among the many 'W.T.F.'ers when this thing was first a rumor. There still a huge element of W.T.F. in it for me. It's a crazy idea and it looks crazy. By all accounts, it's crazy. Maybe even stupid. Who knows... But at the end of the day, like so many other things, it's happening and I can't do a single thing about it. At nearly 40 years old, I've come to realize there is no point in putting negative energy towards things that are out of my control. What's the point? All I can do is hold out hope the thing is fun and becomes something I want to do when I visit the parks in between going on other rides, eating junk food, and having the occasional adult beverage.

Disney message forums have created too many armchair Imagineers and CEOs. I get people are passionate about Disney theme parks, but I mean c'mon, some people here think they have to write a freaking thesis every time they reply to a message on here full of big words as if they are going after a doctorate and are going to be published in some high profile theme park publication.

Not trying to downplay Disney's masterful work in the theme park industry over the past 60 years, but the world isn't going to stop if a sightline is ruined or we're forced to endure more IP-based attractions. I'm not going to lose sleep at night because a theme park ride is based on a popular movie instead of something that could have been a movie but instead was a ride, or maybe a ride that later became a movie.

Curious Constance

I definitely was among the many 'W.T.F.'ers when this thing was first a rumor. There still a huge element of W.T.F. in it for me. It's a crazy idea and it looks crazy. By all accounts, it's crazy. Maybe even stupid. Who knows... But at the end of the day, like so many other things, it's happening and I can't do a single thing about it. At nearly 40 years old, I've come to realize there is no point in putting negative energy towards things that are out of my control. What's the point? All I can do is hold out hope the thing is fun and becomes something I want to do when I visit the parks in between going on other rides, eating junk food, and having the occasional adult beverage.

Disney message forums have created too many armchair Imagineers and CEOs. I get people are passionate about Disney theme parks, but I mean c'mon, some people here think they have to write a freaking thesis every time they reply to a message on here full of big words as if they are going after a doctorate and are going to be published in some high profile theme park publication.

Not trying to downplay Disney's masterful work in the theme park industry over the past 60 years, but the world isn't going to stop if a sightline is ruined or we're forced to endure more IP-based attractions. I'm not going to lose sleep at night because a theme park ride is based on a popular movie instead of something that could have been a movie but instead was a ride, or maybe a ride that later became a movie.

I feel the exact same way. If the day comes when Disney no longer makes me happy for whatever reason, that is the day I stop seeking it out in its various forms. I don't need a hobby that causes stress in my life.

If my favorite candy bar changed its flavor and no longer was appealing to me, I'd stop eating it. A lot of fans don't seem to be able to cut the cord despite not being happy with the current way the parks are being run.

Phroobar

I feel the exact same way. If the day comes when Disney no longer makes me happy for whatever reason, that is the day I stop seeking it out in its various forms. I don't need a hobby that causes stress in my life.

If my favorite candy bar changed its flavor and no longer was appealing to me, I'd stop eating it. A lot of fans don't seem to be able to cut the cord despite not being happy with the current way the parks are being run.
Some people won't even enter Star Wars land because it would cause too much stress in their life.

I remember when everyone hated Pixar in the parks (especially Disneyland) because it wasn't "Disney" whatever that means. Disney fans always hate what is new but embrase after seeing it's not so bad on opening day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom