Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

GiveMeTheMusic

If you're interested in selling park hoppers and multi-day stays, separated by park probably trumps separated by land on your list of concerns.

Isn't the exclusivity deal only for Asia?

Typically no - most HKDL exclusivity agreements have been worldwide for a set period (usually 5 years). They even have an exclusivity agreement on the Iron Man meet-n-greet.

BrianLo

If you're interested in selling park hoppers and multi-day stays, separated by park probably trumps separated by land on your list of concerns.

Isn't the exclusivity deal only for Asia?

Worldwide, I believe. Only Toy Story was Asia exclusive.

It also makes sense to keep Star Wars as a marketing vehicle. It's not going anywhere in Florida, Tokyo and just opened in Paris. They'll continue bringing in the new destinations for the episode movies.

October82

Is it going to change your experiences in the park? Or what the park has to offer?

Will the name on the turnstiles impact one's experience in the park? Probably not. Will the direction the park takes - reflected in the name of the park and the brand - impact the experience of that park? Of course. If Disney does this, they aren't doing it without reason.

BrianLo

Phew! So glad that exclusivity is up on Toy Story land. I've been Jonesin for a swirling alien saucer flat ride. And now in less than 2 years, I Get to live out my dream and only have to fly to Florida for this one of a kind experience instead of Asia.

Ha ha! But Asia exclusivity is the reverse, as in they couldn't build it in Tokyo (but mostly Shanghai). They always could in North America, partially because they already had it in Paris, so HK didn't bother with the world exclusive.

It ran out November 17th, 2016... Shanghai announced theirs was coming November 9th, 2016. All very on the nose.

mickEblu

Ha ha! But Asia exclusivity is the reverse, as in they couldn't build it in Tokyo (but mostly Shanghai). They always could in North America, partially because they already had it in Paris, so HK didn't bother with the world exclusive.

It ran out November 17th, 2016... Shanghai announced theirs was coming November 9th, 2016. All very on the nose.

Oh shoot. I had a feeling that's what it might mean. Therefore taking some of the steam out of my post.

TP2000

Does the park need re-branding? Do the masses care whether it's themed to California or not? It's not like anyone goes to EPCOT expecting to visit a genuine experimental city showcasing future technology.

That was EPCOT's 1966 explanation, and it doesn't work now. Nor does it's 1982 explanation as a "permanent World's Fair". I would bet most Americans under 40 don't even know what a World's Fair is, or was, or why they should care.

TP2000

The expansion pad behind ToT probably isn't large enough to fit the Tron coaster there, and certainly not large enough for both a rethemed version of that and another attraction.

Looking at Google Earth, there's plenty of room for a Tron coaster in the DCA expansion pad south of Guardians of the Galaxy. You could do the Tron coaster, and still have room left over for some shops and restaurants around it and leading up to it.

TP2000

Phew! So glad that exclusivity is up on Toy Story land. I've been Jonesin for a swirling alien saucer flat ride. And now in less than 2 years, I Get to live out my dream and only have to fly to Florida for this one of a kind experience instead of Asia.

Except that ride has already been in Anaheim for five years. It's a clone of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, themed to Toy Story aliens, and covered with a roof due to the rainy climate in Tokyo and Orlando.

Alien-Swirling-Saucers.jpeg

It's just Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. But I can't wait to see the Disney Parks Blog hype machine ramp up in 2018 and breathlessly try to describe how awesome it is and how it will "transform" your day at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

DDLand

Well we know that whatever Marvel attraction gets put in DCA is apparently going to get placed at Shanghai (possibly with a different Marvel IP) in a beautiful synergistic display. This shared development is crucial to the R&D budget. Why not bill the government of Shanghai for part of DCA's cost? Interestingly the expansion pad in Shanghai is literally right next to Tron, so it should be quite different. I doubt they want multiple rides that are exactly the same next to each other.

That's how I understand it.

Edit: Can I also add that with this Marvel Coaster that's supposed to be mind blowing, Everest, and Toy Story Land, Shanghai's roster is going to be one of the heaviest hitters in the world. They don't win in numbers, but in quality they may soon be one of the best in Asia...

Impressive.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Everything I've heard suggests more Gringott's (except hopefully good) and not a Tron clone for Marvel.

Tron was certainly a fun ride, but it's really not a hybrid dark ride (like Captain America is supposed to be). More a modern Space Mountain... which is certainly dark and a ride, but not in the traditional sense.

All of which is to say is I'm hopeful it's actually a much stronger ride than Tron.

I'm not as down on Gringott's as a lot of people are. Part of the issue I think is that the land and the ride queue are so great, the ride itself is a bit of a letdown. It also doesn't take full advantage of the ride system. Overall I enjoyed the ride, but FJ and Spiderman are the best attractions at that resort.

I'm heading to Shanghai in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to experience Tron. I would surprised if it was cloned here. I don't put a lot of credence in what Jim Hill says. It seems he gets a lot of blue sky we're just bouncing ideas off the wall stuff and puts it out there as this what they are going to do.

October82

Looking at Google Earth, there's plenty of room for a Tron coaster in the DCA expansion pad south of Guardians of the Galaxy. You could do the Tron coaster, and still have room left over for some shops and restaurants around it and leading up to it.

The show building for Tron is around 75% the size of the expansion area. When you account for the fact that not all of the expansion area is usable, there is not enough space on the expansion pad for a clone of the Tron coaster, let alone retail and dining. There certainly isn't enough room for multiple attractions if you include "Tron".

Phroobar

The show building for Tron is around 75% the size of the expansion area. When you account for the fact that not all of the expansion area is usable, there is not enough space on the expansion pad for a clone of the Tron coaster, let alone retail and dining. There certainly isn't enough room for multiple attractions if you include "Tron".
Just put the Tron coaster on the Autopia land like they originally planned. They might do that in Florida according to Jim Hill. <duck and cover>

SSG

I'm certainly not taking Koenig's MiceChat article or Jim Hill's podcast as gospel, but neither of them said it would be just the lot behind the Tower that gets the Marvel treatment; both said there were indications that BugsLand would be part of the Marvel takeover. If that's true (and who knows?) there would be room for a pretty big build there. Back stage stuff would have to move around, but that is a good amount of space.
Screenshot (16)_LI.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom