1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by wdwmagic, Jul 23, 2016.

1. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

It would have looked a lot better up there.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt and mandstaft like this.
  2. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Dr. Hans Reinhardt Well-Known Member

You know what bugs me? The fact that the Observation is literally the recycled remains of the Rocket Jets.

3. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Well it was suppose to be a lot better with the addition of a laser show and other effects. That all got cut. It would have still sucked though.

[​IMG]

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  4. sedati

sedati Well-Known Member

To me it looks like an enormous drum set.

5. Kram Sacul

Kram Sacul Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same reason why Mission: Cash Grab is an eyesore to many. Even with a bad paint job, random pipes, satellite dishes and other low cost props it will never shake that it was once Tower Of Terror.

FerretAfros and DisneyExpert like this.
  6. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time to make some solid points. As I said earlier, this topic would make for a fun and interesting debate, and probably deserves its own thread.

Apology accepted. I apologize to you if I offended you in any way.

TP2000, Practical Pig and sedati like this.
  7. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Well-Known Member

Are we talking about how Tower now looks like something from the 1998 Tomorrowland or something Count Dooku flew by on Coruscant?

8. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Yeah but at least MB is still the same drop ride as before. The Observatron is nothing more than set dressing.

9. sedati

sedati Well-Known Member

I don't think we should be discouraging simple whimsy. Set dressing had its place and the goal of the Observatron (when working) was to maintain some kinetics (something lacking in a lot of areas these days.)

October82 likes this.
  10. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

Agreed, but leaving the spinner in place as a functioning ride would have easily accomplished that. It was unnecessary to build a new one and drop it at TL's entryway. Not only that the Observation's "performances" have always seemed pretty random. It's been years since I've actually seen it working.

October82 likes this.
  11. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

IIRC, the Astro Obitor was suppose to go at the top of the tower like the Rocket Jets did before. However the mechanism was so heavy that the tower couldn't take the weight. Instead of structurally reinforcing the tower, they just put the Astro Obitor in the front of the land instead. That lack of structural reinforcing old buildings contributed to finally doing in the Rocket Rods.

sedati likes this.
  12. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

Over on MiceChat, David Koenig's article indicates that Marvel Land is still a ways off:

After the Stars Wars land is completed, Fantasyland is going to be ‘refreshed.’ This is going to be the biggest rehab of the land since it was reopened in 1984. How much is going to change is unknown. However, don’t be surprised if we lose a classic attraction or two (Mr. Toad has missed the chopping block a lot of times; this time, it might not). It is going to be a high-tech makeover to bring [the land] into the 21st century.”

After the Fantasyland makeover, it will be Disney California Adventure’s turn with the formal start of an entire Marvel-themed land, which will consume a large chunk of Hollywood Land and the area around and behind Bugs Land. The Marvel Land will connect with Cars Land and don’t be surprised if Bugs Land is a casualty.

So if this is right, it's what; 4-5 years before Marvel gets going in earnest?

http://micechat.com/155827-david-koenig-disneyland-rumors-putting-off-tomorrow/

13. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

4-5 years of a really ugly tower and temporary cardboard overlays and then another 2-3 years of construction walls. Then we can talk about Tomorrowland!!!

14. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

This timeline doesn't make a ton of sense to me. SWL is set for late 2018/early 2019. That's when the hordes hit the park like nothing else we've seen. Disney needs to shift bodies to DCA and--individual feelings about Marvel put aside--a well executed Marvel land will help with that. Why stick a Fantasyland refresh between SWL and Marvel?

15. phruby

phruby Well-Known Member

Does SWL add enough capacity to afford shutting down Fantasyland for a few years? It's not like they are smart enough to reduce the number of people they let into the park.

16. Dr. Hans Reinhardt

This timeline makes sense if you consider that MB was fast tracked to get an infusion of Marvel into DLR until they could design a more substantial themed land around it. Coming on the heels of the FLE in Florida and the TDL expansion it's likely the DL Fantasyland redo is farther along in development than Marvel. With all the WDI projects that have been in production over the past few years - from World of Avatar to Shanghai Disneyland to the two SW Lands - they have their hands full.

SSG likes this.
  17. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

I said this in the other thread, the timeline doesn't make sense because it isn't accurate.

I mean we'll certainly know by July one way or the other. FL and Marvel should certainly overlap, but not sequential like the article implies. There technically is no real reason they can't start on FL, whatever it is they are doing with it, once all the island, train and Fantasmic are back online.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt likes this.
  18. October82

October82 Well-Known Member

I doubt it. The two SWL attractions are both expected to be fairly low capacity (by E-ticket standards, at least). The land itself likely has a lot of space compared to what is typical for DL, but there doesn't seem to be enough total capacity to dramatically offset the loss of one of the other lands for a significant amount of time.

19. SSG

SSG Well-Known Member

Ah, I just caught up on the other thread. Yeah I don't see why Disney would do things as stated in the article, but it wouldn't be the first time Disney had me scratching my head over their actions.

20. thealmightyvance

thealmightyvance Well-Known Member

Mission Breakout didn't make sense to a lot of people, look where we are at now.