Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

SSG

Hill said the Marvel Land line-up would be the re-themed GotG Tower. The Star Tours simulators would go in to an Americanized version of the HK Iron Man ride. This would be located north of GotG in re-vamped Hollywoodland. Behind the Tower, we'll get a clone of Shanghai's Tron ride, but themed to Captain America. The entire Marvel area will be re-skinned to look like a New York street scene. This includes the Hyperion, which will continue to run shows. Of course, the M&Gs, shops and dining will have this theming.

With DCA basically getting a NYC area, Disney is ready to admit that the California theme of the park no longer works and will re-brand the park. Hill said this could be announced at D-23.

Chew on all that.

D

Deleted member 107043

Does the park need re-branding? Do the masses care whether it's themed to California or not? It's not like anyone goes to EPCOT expecting to visit a genuine experimental city showcasing future technology.

SSG

Does the park need re-branding? Do the masses care whether it's themed to California or not? It's not like anyone goes to EPCOT expecting to visit a genuine experimental city showcasing future technology.
I agree; it doesn't matter to me. If I had to guess, it has to do with shutting down complaints that changes to DCA aren't 'California.' But I agree that it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Bairstow

So, a New York streetscape with an alien museum/fortress/power plant jammed into it?

OK. Not sure I'm buying that, but we'll see.

Isn't that basically what Universal built in Florida?

Thanks to Jim and Stan, you're really going to have a hard time doing a Marvel area that features more than one character and not have it at least thematically resemble NYC.

October82

I agree; it doesn't matter to me. If I had to guess, it has to do with shutting down complaints that changes to DCA aren't 'California.' But I agree that it doesn't seem worth the effort.

If DCA is rebranded it won't be because of concerns about theme, but because the new identity is better for marketing the park. I find it hard to believe that any such change could be worth the expense at this point.

Practical Pig

Isn't that basically what Universal built in Florida?

Thanks to Jim and Stan, you're really going to have a hard time doing a Marvel area that features more than one character and not have it at least thematically resemble NYC.

For sure. It's the alien composite thing that's out of place in this rumored re-theme.

Curious Constance

If DCA is rebranded it won't be because of concerns about theme, but because the new identity is better for marketing the park. I find it hard to believe that any such change could be worth the expense at this point.
I agree. It's not like a new name is going to increase business much, if at all, so why bother? I mean the park is still located in California, so it is always going to be a California Adventure, right? I could really care less either way though, so whatever.

hawkfam

While I have no idea about the logistics and cost to move the ST simulators over to DCA we've seen the horrible bottlenecks created in that area of Tomorrowland and how CM's are now having to stand there and direct one-way traffic to get through. Maybe Disney is able to make this move work because removing ST from Tomorrowland would definitely help with the crush of people in that area by cutting one big attraction. If it happened I wouldn't be surprised if it took them a long while to change them over to a Marvel theme so there could be a long time where the attraction is not open but at least by closing it in Tomorrowland before SW Land opens they can possibly cut down on the number of people trying to make their way through such a tight corridor.

But yeah, if those simulators are buried in concrete or it would take huge unsightly cranes parked behind the Plaza Inn then maybe there's no way to make it work.

October82

The Tron ride looks really cool though, so it'd be a huge win to get a version of that at DCA. And Star Tours is still very popular and fun. So keeping that around, rethemed seems like a good idea.

The expansion pad behind ToT probably isn't large enough to fit the Tron coaster there, and certainly not large enough for both a rethemed version of that and another attraction.

Suspirian

Wouldn't the area still be Marvel Studios and still fit Hollywoodland? I don't get the whole name change discourse when most of the lands (aside from a bugs land) still have connections to specific California locations. I take most of what Jim says with a grain of salt anyways. He seems to get rumors very early on that havent been fully thought out.

SSG

Setting Marvel Land in NYC makes sense if the land is based on the comic book versions of the characters, but since it looks to be based on the MCU, the NYC connection isn't as obvious or necessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom