News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Universal seems dead set on catching up with Disney. They are no longer cabs me of delivering a Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey for what that originally cost. Even Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure had some pretty drastic cuts to keep it within its incredibly large budget of a few hundred million dollars. I’m pretty sure they got suckered into paying the naming guy way too much on a per letter basis.

Boot-licking toady: “Sir, Universal is spending money on new stuff and is starting to catch up to us. People are noticing.”

Bob: “Who? What can we raise prices on again? The stock analysts want better PGS.”

DCBaker

Premium Member
So far, no extended queue being used this morning with the Virtual Queue. Line is being kept pretty short.

33DD44A1-D3CB-485E-9835-A04B13691741.jpeg

MrPromey

Universal seems dead set on catching up with Disney. They are no longer cabs me of delivering a Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey for what that originally cost. Even Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure had some pretty drastic cuts to keep it within its incredibly large budget of a few hundred million dollars. I’m pretty sure they got suckered into paying the naming guy way too much on a per letter basis.
They may not be doing it as cheaply as they once were but I think it's safe to say they're still ahead of Disney on cost vs. benefit. I think there is zero question that Hagrid's is selling a decent number of tickets all by itself for IOA even years after opening.* (you need only see this one during early entry and look at wait times throughout the day compared to every single other attraction in the park - including the newer Velosicoaster)

As an aside, it had been close to seven years since I'd been to Universal and I was still surprised at how much hold the HP IP still has on guests there with adults and children alike still running around in heavy robes in hot humid Florida weather.

But look at the construction timeline for their one-of-a-kind attraction which included full demolition/dismantling of the previous one, full physical sets and - gasp - animatronics (not the most amazing but at the speed you go by, they don't really need to be, either) vs. how long it took Disney to build an existing ride type in a giant metal box with screens. They promoted this heavily as a "Storytelling coaster" which frankly, based on the video and the reviews seems like an oversell on what may be a fun ride but certainly isn't anywhere near as groundbreaking as Disney wanted people to believe it would be.

*To be clear, I'm not suggesting people come in and do that ride and leave but that ride is the single determining factor in how a decent chunk of people are ending up in that park or buying the hopper passes to be in that park. Of course, that's a subset of the HP fans who are in that park only for the HP land in general, too... the value of this property overall to Universal really boggles my mind.

_

Last edited:

dreday3

Now offering barf bags as you exit the ride!

Gosh. I'm seriously debating if I will go on this now or not. I felt queasy after Smugglers Run!

I plan to take Bonine the night before, but I don't want to feel sick and ruin an entire day... I never feel sick on Space Mountain or other coasters - maybe if I start to feel off I can just close my eyes?

Disneydad1012

Gosh. I'm seriously debating if I will go on this now or not. I felt queasy after Smugglers Run!

I plan to take Bonine the night before, but I don't want to feel sick and ruin an entire day... I never feel sick on Space Mountain or other coasters - maybe if I start to feel off I can just close my eyes?
Me too. I'm not so sure I want to risk it. Only rides that make me feel off are FOP and the tea cups. So maybe I'd be ok.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
If they're offering vomit bags I definitely won't be able to enjoy this ride, which sucks. What's funny is that I can ride Mako back to back many times, while intoxicated on some occasions and be fine, but put me on something that rotates and I'm done lol.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
$450 million for a coaster that either A) Many people won’t even ride, or B) Will ride once and never ride again.

WDI: “Controlled rotation on a roller coaster, what could go wrong?”

Lol GIF
Austin Powers Reaction GIF

Disstevefan1

They can program the turning/spinning. If enough folks complain the will tweak it.

When Mission Space opened, the more intensive version spun faster then what we have today and of course we now have two versions, the less intense does not even spin at all.

Not sure if this story is true but when Space Mountain opened at WDW, it went so fast, cars were flying off the track and it was slowed down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom