News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

RSoxNo1

Everything you need to know about opening day merchandise availability for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind'​

Did Treasures of Xandar soft open at all or will tomorrow mark the first day of operation?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Indeed. I agree with most that it's shoehorned into its space BUT once looking past that I imagine that the ride itself is better as executed than the non-IP idea mentioned. I think the Guardians IP + selected music really makes the attraction more fun.

RSoxNo1

So, hear me out... would a Big Bang Coaster without IP be as fun / comedic as a Guardians inspired coaster? I'm not asking whether it would be a better fit for EPCOT, the question is more about would it be more fun. This is a situation where the IP at least allows for character familiarity and corresponding comedy.

For me, the biggest objection I have with the story beats is the inclusion of the celestial. Everything else from the Cosmic Generator to Jump Points seems in line with some of the pseudo science that has existed throughout EPCOT's history. The celestial however seems to be too much of a leap.

MrPromey

Lots of attractions feature movie stars. Lots of attractions feature licensed music. Some even feature both. But you can count on one hand how many attractions at Walt Disney World cost more than half of what Cosmic Rewind cost.
A good example of this is that other studios park down the road. Nearly all of the attractions there feature either famous actors/directors, original movie voice actors or licensed music or both.

Even their second park has a handful like that and from what I can tell, they aren't breaking the bank like Disney is on this kind of stuff... and by former Imagineer Joe Rohde's own admission, they've shown an ability to throw quality stuff up at breakneck speeds in a way that is unfathomable at Disney.

This isn't because Universal is so amazing and awesome and has special secret ways of doing all of this stuff. It's because something is seriously broken at Disney.

FutureCEO

I watched a few seconds of the Epcot opening live stream by ResortTV....only Disney can inspire people that rush and buy that much crappy merchandise though I'm sure one or two things are nice.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current end of the Merch line -

CB05F421-8B24-478B-B315-9923009F826F.jpeg

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The question/answer around the 16 minute mark is rather interesting.
It's been suggested before, but I REALLY wonder if this exact thing is what's going to happen to Space Moutain in Tokyo (a clone [or near clone] of Cosmic Rewind, just without the Marvel theming and more general space themeing). The budget is the same ($450 million), they could follow the same format they did in EPCOT (use the old Space Mountain building for queue, preshow, and load/unload... build a gravity building behind the main building [there is certainly room back there that they could), many have already suggested that Cosmic Rewind is Space Mountain 2.0... it just all (could) add up...

lazyboy97o

A good example of this is that other studios park down the road. Nearly all of the attractions there feature either famous actors/directors, original movie voice actors or licensed music or both.

Even their second park has a handful like that and from what I can tell, they aren't breaking the bank like Disney is on this kind of stuff... and by former Imagineer Joe Rohde's own admission, they've shown an ability to throw quality stuff up at breakneck speeds in a way that is unfathomable at Disney.

This isn't because Universal is so amazing and awesome and has special secret ways of doing all of this stuff. It's because something is seriously broken at Disney.
Universal seems dead set on catching up with Disney. They are no longer cabs me of delivering a Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey for what that originally cost. Even Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure had some pretty drastic cuts to keep it within its incredibly large budget of a few hundred million dollars. I’m pretty sure they got suckered into paying the naming guy way too much on a per letter basis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom