• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

The Empress Lilly

You can fill a park the size of EPCOT with just energy themes. The topic isn't exhausted, the sponsors are lining up, the audience is there. It is just that TWDC has limited itself into vending pop culture.

astana%206-1140x664.jpg

Expo Astana 2017, the exhibition dedicated to future energy

Among the key concepts dedicated to the challenges to be faced over the next few years there are: energy efficiency, universal access to clean energy, reduction in fossil fuel consumption and CO2 emissions through available advanced technologies. The world’s fair will be a meeting point for companies, institutions and academic world, in the crossroads between Europe and Asia.

http://www.lifegate.com/people/news/expo-astana-2017-future-energy

Astana-EXPO-2017.jpg

The_Jobu

You can fill a park the size of EPCOT with just energy themes. The topic isn't exhausted, the sponsors are lining up, the audience is there. It is just that TWDC has limited itself into vending pop culture.

astana%206-1140x664.jpg

Among the key concepts dedicated to the challenges to be faced over the next few years there are: energy efficiency, universal access to clean energy, reduction in fossil fuel consumption and CO2 emissions through available advanced technologies. The world’s fair will be a meeting point for companies, institutions and academic world, in the crossroads between Europe and Asia.

http://www.lifegate.com/people/news/expo-astana-2017-future-energy

Hey, they even have their own SSE!

The Empress Lilly

Hey, they even have their own SSE!
And 48 country pavilions! EXPO-City, a blatant classic EPCOT knock-off if ever I've seen one.

But...it shows how much faith, how much money there is for classic EPCOT-inspired parks. EPCOT could be monumental, it is just that TWDC doesn't know what to do with it besides add booze carts and celeb thrill rides. Midgets and Philistines.

0-1352400373-expo_spon_01.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

And 48 country pavilions! EXPO-City, a blatant classic EPCOT knock-off if ever I've seen one.

But...it shows how much fate, how much money there is for classic EPCOT-inspired parks. EPCOT could be monumental, it is just that TWDC doesn't know what to do with it besides add booze carts and celeb thrill rides. Midgets and Philistines.

Please stop spreading fake news. Don’t you know that World’s Fairs ended years ago and Disney colluded with governments around The World to defraud tax payers for World Showcase funding?

Phantom Mickey

From the old thread: "Or (crazy idea) maybe they'll try to make it look like a spaceship? It could be slightly modified to look like one." and just today "So my guess about making UoE spaceshippy...was right?! I'm kind of OK with the design of it. Sad about UoE."

----------------
I think you are right. The building is not that important other than containing the attraction. DIZZY can easily build a facade in front of the structure to look like anything they can dream up.

DisneyJunkie

-----------------------
I have to ask, did you actually SEE the original version? Disney really punked it down when they threw up ELLEN in the mix, the front motion screen was removed for a standard movie screen and the scripts changed. I hate the Ellen version when compared to the origninal.

Yes, I saw the original version prior to the Ellen garbage. The original version, sure it was boring, but actually stayed true to the ideal of Epcot. The garbage refurbishment that brought in Ellen couldn't have been further from that idea of teaching and education.

MansionButler84

Yes, I saw the original version prior to the Ellen garbage. The original version, sure it was boring, but actually stayed true to the ideal of Epcot. The garbage refurbishment that brought in Ellen couldn't have been further from that idea of teaching and education.
And yet probably nearer to that idea than Peter Quill will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kman101

-----------------------
I have to ask, did you actually SEE the original version? Disney really punked it down when they threw up ELLEN in the mix, the front motion screen was removed for a standard movie screen and the scripts changed. I hate the Ellen version when compared to the origninal.

The original was great. But it's been gone a very very long time.

I know it's blasphemy to talk bad about original Epcot Center attractions but if someone found it boring they found it boring. I didn't but they're entitled to feel how they feel.

The_Jobu

The people that complain that there is too much ip's in Epcot honestly just need to chill out. Guardians of The Galaxy is a great addition and will bring in much needed guest to the otherwise dead Epcot. Also, i know that i just called Epcot dead which will trigger some of you mega ultra Disney nerds, but take heart in knowing that Epcot is rated número dos as the most visited theme park in the U.S. which isn't bad.

Why would you argue against yourself in the same post?

2351metalcloud

astana%206-1140x664.jpg

There are videos online of many of the pavilions. Some videos have their titles in Russian or Kazakh so you might have to search in those languages to find them easily. Many of the pavilions have many video screens or projected videos and don't have animatronics or expensive vehicles for visitors to sit in like Omnimovers although there are apparently some expensive looking vehicles/vehicle models for people to look at.

Phantom Mickey

The current ride has no queue, and we know that anything new will require a huge line capacity. Just look at Flight of Pasage. They had to build 4 hours of interior queue. It would be very easy to see the majority of the existing space used for that.
---------------
I thought the preshow was more or less the queline. It worked when the original show played, not needed when Ellen moved in.

EricsBiscuit

I just love the idea of a Guardians ride! A little confused at first, but once god empower Chapek from the Bob-suite said that Peter Quill went to Epcot as a kid, it all made sense! Overall, I am so excited for the direction of the park as a whole.:)

mandstaft

But...it shows how much faith, how much money there is for classic EPCOT-inspired parks. EPCOT could be monumental, it is just that TWDC doesn't know what to do with it besides add booze carts and celeb thrill rides. Midgets and Philistines.

I was just there for work! It is very Epcot- ish. Just amazing really.

doctornick

The original was great. But it's been gone a very very long time.

I know it's blasphemy to talk bad about original Epcot Center attractions but if someone found it boring they found it boring. I didn't but they're entitled to feel how they feel.

It's also entirely possible to like some things but not others. I'll defend the original Imagination as one of the greatest dark rides ever built and a complete travesty to have destroyed, but don't really get the fascination with Horizons. And don't even get me started on the incredibly boring old Seacabs and film at the Seas (I like the Hydrolators, but that was only a small part of that experience).

FigmentForver96

The people that complain that there is too much ip's in Epcot honestly just need to chill out. Guardians of The Galaxy is a great addition and will bring in much needed guest to the otherwise dead Epcot. Also, i know that i just called Epcot dead which will trigger some of you mega ultra Disney nerds, but take heart in knowing that Epcot is rated número dos as the most visited theme park in the U.S. which isn't bad.
Why should we chill? So now we should expect less than? You're right, let's just go with the flow. Perhaps a Doctor Strange ride in Test Track be next! Who knows, Benedict Cumberpatch may have visited EPCOT Center when it opened!

The_Jobu

Why should we chill? So now we should expect less than? You're right, let's just go with the flow. Perhaps a Doctor Strange ride in Test Track be next! Who knows, Benedict Cumberpatch may have visited EPCOT Center when it opened!

This could become a great running joke at WDW.

"Did you know Squirrel Girl visited Animal Kingdom?? Here's a ride with her... because!"

FigmentForver96

This could become a great running joke at WDW.

"Did you know Squirrel Girl visited Animal Kingdom?? Here's a ride with her... because!"
I would have accepted the ride more if they would have been honest. Not treat fans like their idiotic imbeciles who can't tell the difference. Anybody with two brain cells can tell that this isn't inspired by the original EPCOT Center nor follows its ideals.

FigmentForver96

Yeah but Guardians makes sense to be at Epcot. It's futuristicy and space age which is Epcot's whole shtick in future world. Doctor Strange wouldn't make sense for him to be at Epcot or Test Track because Doctor Stranges' whole deal is ancient magic. Combine that with a tron like car ride and they don't mix. The best thing about the Guardians of the Galaxy is they're very flexible when it comes to where they can be properly put. Groot and Rocket can literally be located in Tomorrowland, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom because ya know, they're animals. The rest of the team can easily fit in Tomorrowland, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot.

Also it's not bad for them to be there. It brings in a fresh attraction that is guaranteed to bring guests, which is the whole purpose of the Epcot makeover. Epcot seriously needs some good attractions, and bringing in major ip's is a big win for them. You can't keep going to Test Track and Soar'n the whole day, you gotta have better and newer stuff.
If you really think Epcots only mission was to be "future themed" then it's pointless explaining.

Daveeeeed

I think the big concern is that most of the new attractions are book reports based on fantasy or super hero IPs, and are crammed into areas where they don't thematically fit. DL and the MK had plenty of original content supplementing the movie attractions. Today's leadership seems almost terrified of allowing original theme park creative in the United States. Ironically, they ignore that those rides eventually become valuable IPs in their own rights (e.g. POTC or HM).
Here are the rides from the current Iger-era, and the upcoming rides that are IP based. The quality/scale of the ride is not what I'm grading, but the use of IPs.

2008 Toy Story Midway Mania! 9/10
2011/12 Under The Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid 2/10 Implementation for an IP as a book report ride was still terrible. That being said, it is still a decent C-ticket.
2012 Radiator Springs Racers 10/10
2014 Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 9.5/10
2016 Frozen: Ever After 6/10 3/10 for location To be fair, it could have been placed in Tomorrowland...
2017 Flight of Passage 10/10
2017 Na'vi River Journey 8/10
2017 Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout 9/10 It will feel most likely like a perfect fit once the Marvel Land opens, but in the meantime, it feels odd.
2019? Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railroad (most likely 9/10)
2019? Battle Escape (most likely 10/10)
2019? Millennium Falcon Ride (most likely 10/10)
2020? Ratatouille 9.5/10 6/10 for location
2021? Tron Lightcycle Power Run 10/10

Pretty much every IP attraction has used it very very well. Placement aside of course:p.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom