News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

clemmo

Man its times like these where I wish I could've actually seen the old epcot. My epcot is v2.0 so stuff like ellen's and figment aren't exactly sacred to me. I've seen videos and pics of the original epcot and experiences like WOM and Horizons and WOL and I'm sure none of them do it justice but it looks amazing. Still though imo for those of us that only know v2.0 I remain hopeful that v3.0 will be better than what we've known as Epcot even if it's nowhere near as good as the original.

Maeryk

Man its times like these where I wish I could've actually seen the old epcot. My epcot is v2.0 so stuff like ellen's and figment aren't exactly sacred to me. I've seen videos and pics of the original epcot and experiences like WOM and Horizons and WOL and I'm sure none of them do it justice but it looks amazing. Still though imo for those of us that only know v2.0 I remain hopeful that v3.0 will be better than what we've known as Epcot even if it's nowhere near as good as the original.

What stands out to my roughly 13 year old self, of Epcot, (Seas was a muddy hole in the ground at the time) was mainly Communicore.. it was so interactive, which was amazing. And it was wide open.. no matter where you stopped to do something, there was something shinier and more intriguing in the distance.

Spaceship Earth was awesome.. is still awesome. WoM was the best of the three, though, (IMO), between itself, SSE, and Horizons. (Yeah, Horizons was neat, but I'm not one of the diehard fans). Energy broke down every time we tried to ride it. Either got stuck at the beginning under the fighting dinosaurs up on the wall, or later in the ride. Imagination was just mind blowing.. especially the big diorama with all the moving parts of Dreamfinder on the dirigible thing, and the fountains were mesmerizing.

I don't remember a lot about world showcase, other than being amazed they got the buildings so "real" looking.

Mike S

I think they'll get the balance right. I don't think they'd dare, after Frozen, to atleast not attempt to tie it into Epcot. This isn't a new Disney phenomenon....Nemo is the most shoehorned in IP in a Disney park and that was done, what, 10 years ago? That doesn't make it right, obviously. But I think they can add IP if done well...or atleast a hell of a lot better than Nemo.
They're cloning Ratatouille exactly as it is in Paris. They're not attempting to tie in anything.
Don't look now, but 20,000 leagues was an IP... egads!
In Fantasyland.

tirian

Splash Mountain...one of the greatest rides on the planet is IP based. Tower of Terror too. I just feel people are rather selective and seem to put this down as modern Disney. Crikey, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland & Davy Crockett were technically IPs used in the original Disneyland 62 years ago! I get that nobody wants everything to be IP based...I agree, but the tone around here is this is a plague infecting modern Disney and are looking at the past through romantic, but selective eyes.
I think the big concern is that most of the new attractions are book reports based on fantasy or super hero IPs, and are crammed into areas where they don't thematically fit. DL and the MK had plenty of original content supplementing the movie attractions. Today's leadership seems almost terrified of allowing original theme park creative in the United States. Ironically, they ignore that those rides eventually become valuable IPs in their own rights (e.g. POTC or HM).

The Empress Lilly

You can fill a park the size of EPCOT with just energy themes. The topic isn't exhausted, the sponsors are lining up, the audience is there. It is just that TWDC has limited itself into vending pop culture.

astana%206-1140x664.jpg

Expo Astana 2017, the exhibition dedicated to future energy

Among the key concepts dedicated to the challenges to be faced over the next few years there are: energy efficiency, universal access to clean energy, reduction in fossil fuel consumption and CO2 emissions through available advanced technologies. The world’s fair will be a meeting point for companies, institutions and academic world, in the crossroads between Europe and Asia.

http://www.lifegate.com/people/news/expo-astana-2017-future-energy

Astana-EXPO-2017.jpg

The_Jobu

You can fill a park the size of EPCOT with just energy themes. The topic isn't exhausted, the sponsors are lining up, the audience is there. It is just that TWDC has limited itself into vending pop culture.

astana%206-1140x664.jpg

Among the key concepts dedicated to the challenges to be faced over the next few years there are: energy efficiency, universal access to clean energy, reduction in fossil fuel consumption and CO2 emissions through available advanced technologies. The world’s fair will be a meeting point for companies, institutions and academic world, in the crossroads between Europe and Asia.

http://www.lifegate.com/people/news/expo-astana-2017-future-energy

Hey, they even have their own SSE!

The Empress Lilly

Hey, they even have their own SSE!
And 48 country pavilions! EXPO-City, a blatant classic EPCOT knock-off if ever I've seen one.

But...it shows how much faith, how much money there is for classic EPCOT-inspired parks. EPCOT could be monumental, it is just that TWDC doesn't know what to do with it besides add booze carts and celeb thrill rides. Midgets and Philistines.

0-1352400373-expo_spon_01.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

And 48 country pavilions! EXPO-City, a blatant classic EPCOT knock-off if ever I've seen one.

But...it shows how much fate, how much money there is for classic EPCOT-inspired parks. EPCOT could be monumental, it is just that TWDC doesn't know what to do with it besides add booze carts and celeb thrill rides. Midgets and Philistines.

0-1352400373-expo_spon_01.jpg
Please stop spreading fake news. Don’t you know that World’s Fairs ended years ago and Disney colluded with governments around The World to defraud tax payers for World Showcase funding?

Phantom Mickey

From the old thread: "Or (crazy idea) maybe they'll try to make it look like a spaceship? It could be slightly modified to look like one." and just today "So my guess about making UoE spaceshippy...was right?! I'm kind of OK with the design of it. Sad about UoE."

----------------
I think you are right. The building is not that important other than containing the attraction. DIZZY can easily build a facade in front of the structure to look like anything they can dream up.

DisneyJunkie

-----------------------
I have to ask, did you actually SEE the original version? Disney really punked it down when they threw up ELLEN in the mix, the front motion screen was removed for a standard movie screen and the scripts changed. I hate the Ellen version when compared to the origninal.

Yes, I saw the original version prior to the Ellen garbage. The original version, sure it was boring, but actually stayed true to the ideal of Epcot. The garbage refurbishment that brought in Ellen couldn't have been further from that idea of teaching and education.

ToTBellHop

Yes, I saw the original version prior to the Ellen garbage. The original version, sure it was boring, but actually stayed true to the ideal of Epcot. The garbage refurbishment that brought in Ellen couldn't have been further from that idea of teaching and education.
And yet probably nearer to that idea than Peter Quill will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kman101

-----------------------
I have to ask, did you actually SEE the original version? Disney really punked it down when they threw up ELLEN in the mix, the front motion screen was removed for a standard movie screen and the scripts changed. I hate the Ellen version when compared to the origninal.

The original was great. But it's been gone a very very long time.

I know it's blasphemy to talk bad about original Epcot Center attractions but if someone found it boring they found it boring. I didn't but they're entitled to feel how they feel.

The_Jobu

The people that complain that there is too much ip's in Epcot honestly just need to chill out. Guardians of The Galaxy is a great addition and will bring in much needed guest to the otherwise dead Epcot. Also, i know that i just called Epcot dead which will trigger some of you mega ultra Disney nerds, but take heart in knowing that Epcot is rated número dos as the most visited theme park in the U.S. which isn't bad.

Why would you argue against yourself in the same post?

2351metalcloud

astana%206-1140x664.jpg

There are videos online of many of the pavilions. Some videos have their titles in Russian or Kazakh so you might have to search in those languages to find them easily. Many of the pavilions have many video screens or projected videos and don't have animatronics or expensive vehicles for visitors to sit in like Omnimovers although there are apparently some expensive looking vehicles/vehicle models for people to look at.

Phantom Mickey

The current ride has no queue, and we know that anything new will require a huge line capacity. Just look at Flight of Pasage. They had to build 4 hours of interior queue. It would be very easy to see the majority of the existing space used for that.
---------------
I thought the preshow was more or less the queline. It worked when the original show played, not needed when Ellen moved in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom