News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Daveeeeed

Each Marvel Theme Park Universe attraction is set in the park in which it is located. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! Takes place at Disney California Adventure. Iron Man Experience takes place at Hong Kong Disneyland. That picture isn’t a joke, it is why the Guardians of the Galaxy have come to Epcot.
It actually works for California Adventure. The idea that tourists are there to see the Gotg on display, and at the top Rocket shouts "Is that Disneyland?" Was very clever. For Epcot, only time will tell. Makes me feel like they might tie it into Energy now, so it could be good, it could be bad.

lazyboy97o

It actually works for California Adventure. The idea that tourists are there to see the Gotg on display, and at the top Rocket shouts "Is that Disneyland?" Was very clever. For Epcot, only time will tell. Makes me feel like they might tie it into Energy now, so it could be good, it could be bad.
It’s not clever. It’s an easy way to make sure attractions that don’t fit can have some story-based justification for wherever they are dictated to be placed. It’s people who care trying to salvage the mess created by their bosses who don’t like nor have any experience in themed entertainment.

Daveeeeed

It’s not clever. It’s an easy way to make sure attractions that don’t fit can have some story-based justification for wherever they are dictated to be placed. It’s people who care trying to salvage the mess created by their bosses who don’t like nor have any experience in themed entertainment.
With a Marvel land of course. It sticks out like a sore thumb right now. It's a cool idea even when it fits.

FigmentForver96

With a Marvel land of course. It sticks out like a sore thumb right now. It's a cool idea even when it fits.
The land should be its own "world". It would be the same as riding Thunder Mountain and hearing a prospector yell "Is that Space Mountain?" Were not suppose to be in theme parks but real worlds. EPCOT is the exception to this rule for Future World but that doesn't make Guardians any less of a fit.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Disney can claim to be returning the park to its "original intent" all they want...but I wish they would just admit what they're really doing. Trying to inject a hot dose of IP-blood into the dying corpse of Epcot.

Also, those of us upset by this news AGREE that something needed to come to UoE and replace Ellen. I think people see frustration about this new change and assume that the complainers wish UoE would stay as is. That's not true. Myself personally (and I'm sure others) just feel that there is so much they could do instead (and probably should have done years ago) to refresh the pavilion. Disney needs to stop using IP's like cologne and just give itself the proper shower it needs!

lazyboy97o

Disney can claim to be returning the park to its "original intent" all they want...but I wish they would just admit what they're really doing.
To me, this is the big question. Why pretend that you are doing this return? It doesn’t seem like anyone is buying into that notion. Why not be honest with a new vision unless you know that new vision is not as good?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

To me, this is the big question. Why pretend that you are doing this return? It doesn’t seem like anyone is buying into that notion. Why not be honest with a new vision unless you know that new vision is not as good?
Honestly, its probably just to make a good sound-byte and to save face a little.
Absolutely nothing they announced at the Expo or in the rumor mill convinces me they even know what the "original intent" of Epcot is. Somehow the words, "infuse the latest IP's no matter if they make sense or not" aren't on the park's dedication plaque.

Monorail_Orange

The nostalgic part of me really doesn't care for this change, but the realistic part of me is kind of relieved they are actually doing something with the building. I used to fall on the side of the original concept of a "world's fair" theme in the park which represented advances in technology and such, but this park is really a banner example of why that is just not going to work in the 2017 United States. The last worlds fair hosted in this country was in 1984 in St. Louis, and was a financial disaster (which was actually quite common including the mythical 64' Expo in NY). To build a permanent park in this model was folly when it was done, but given it was tied to the Disney company it worked (although even though I loved it, I remember this park was not really the most popular place in the world). I'll miss the original concept of the ride and the park as a whole, but I suspect not long after all of this is completed and changed over much of the frustration over it will go away. This is not the first time the company has learned that people do not go on vacation to be educated (Disney Institute)
Begging your pardon, but i couldn't let this go...the '84 World's Fair was indeed a financial disaster, but it was in New Orleans. Right river, wrong town.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I also agree with the poster who said they'll probably have a joke in the new ride on how boring Epcot used to be and now it's fun.

The bolded bit wouldn't surprise me either. I also think the attraction will have nothing to do with energy. Nada. Zilch. I may even like that a bit better than some really half baked attempt, "Now Groot, all those double AA batteries you're carrying won't be enough energy for our spaceship."

Last edited:

discos

Had it closed yet? Ellen must be relieved what an embrassmemt to be still in an attraction so many years later, ok for voiceovers but not in video form as it dates.
I remember hearing that she had never even been on the ride before. My pretty she mentioned it on her show

seabreezept813

the new vision where Disney just wants to be Universal.

This is my problem.. but with the exception of HP, Universal doesn't appeal to me. Disney always just seemed more family-centric. I wish they would open another gate for their hot IPs. Personally, superhero rides feel like Six Flags theming to me. I get that Disney takes the experience to a different level, but I still get that vibe of lazy theming.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

This is my problem.. but with the exception of HP, Universal doesn't appeal to me. Disney always just seemed more family-centric. I wish they would open another gate for their hot IPs. Personally, superhero rides feel like Six Flags theming to me. I get that Disney takes the experience to a different level, but I still get that vibe of lazy theming.
Disney will always out-quality Universal and the rest, but I agree, they're getting lazy and relying solely on their latest box office numbers to determine what comes next.

Disney is stuck following the "ride the movie" model for its new attractions, and that frankly is something that made Epcot stand out so much, because it was 100% NOT that. Now, they're turning it into that, and have the gall to say they're returning Epcot to its original vision...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom