News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

The Empress Lilly

Each Marvel Theme Park Universe attraction is set in the park in which it is located. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! Takes place at Disney California Adventure. Iron Man Experience takes place at Hong Kong Disneyland. That picture isn’t a joke, it is why the Guardians of the Galaxy have come to Epcot.
In the GotG universe, EPCOT exists. But in EPCOT's universe, superheroes do not.

So in effect, this is one universe, one reality, replacing another. The grand and unique vision of EPCOT is brushed aside for the comic pop thrill. The managers are proud of that too - that's what you get with the extreme fixation on money rather than meaning. Meaning, that sixties and seventies fixation that died in the triple whammy of post-modernism, neoliberalism and 80s greed.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In the GotG universe, EPCOT exists. But in EPCOT's universe, superheroes do not.

So in effect, this is one universe, one reality, replacing another. The grand and unique vision of EPCOT is brushed aside for the comic pop thrill. The managers are proud of that being their legacy too - that's what you get with the extreme fixation on money, preferably quick money, rather than meaning. Meaning, that sixties and seventies fixation that died in the triple whammy of post-modernism, neoliberalism and 80s greed.
Well put. This, of course, all ties back into the fact that even if Disney thinks of EPCOT as an important IP, it is not an intellectually respected IP. Thus, short term wins out.

SpaceMountain77

In June, I was truly fortunate to have the opportunity to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. I arrived at 10:00am, stayed through closing, and still did not have enough time to experience every exhibit. When entering the final room, which is dedicated to Walt Disney's parks, the feeling of hearing and reading about Walt's hopes for Disneyland and Epcot is overwhelming.

When I left the museum, I thought about how no park or single attraction could encapsulate Walt's legendary vision. Walt Disney is an inspiration. Parks & Resorts is a corporation. Bob Chapek and Tom Fitzgerald can try whatever tactics necessary, like a contrived photo, to convince fans that they are staying true to the original intent of Epcot. However, in the end, after their time with the company, they will soon be forgotten. What must be preserved is Walt's vision of the future, which included a better tomorrow for the whole family. That vision does not have to be realized in a Disney park or resort.

The Empress Lilly

I've never understood this concept (not saying your opinion is wrong) but EPCOT is the only park that feels like a 2 day park to me, I can never fit in everything I want to do in one day.
FW alone is an entire day for me. And a good one too. WS I can't do for an entire day, but I do need several half days to cover it.

I just realised I am now into the Epcot 2.0 defenders camp. The park isn't bad in itself, the frustration is that it is no match to EPCOT Center. But it might yet prove to be better than v.3.0.

rle4lunch

I've never understood this concept (not saying your opinion is wrong) but EPCOT is the only park that feels like a 2 day park to me, I can never fit in everything I want to do in one day.

Well, between you, me and the fencepost, I can only do so many laps around WS. The only thing that makes it into a 6-7 hour park for us is the gaps in the FP times (that you sign up for 3 months in advance). The food is great, but I can only stand 'so much' walking thru junk shops and waiting for my turn to get an 'EXTRA LARGE PEARL' and bang the drum...

American Experience is always good for a patriotic, self reflective, air conditioned break, and the liberty singers are just amazing. I can't go on SSE anymore because, well, I feel like I'm walking thru somebodies yard sale and listening to a dumbed down version of my old encyclopedia brittainica set, only to be put through a 5 minute descent thru darkness and dangling CAT5 cable, only being entertained by creating a specialized character and sending it to myself through electronic mail (I hear this is the wave of the future!). Soarin 2.0 has a case of sequelitus (bigger and more CGI = better!), so I don't find it worth the 19 hour wait times. I can usually walk on mission space because everyone is afraid of that ride and/or think it's well overdue for a refresh (luckily we're getting it now), so that's only about 15 minutes of my day. Test Track is okay, but after riding RS Racers, it pales in comparison and just doesn't 'do it' for me. By the time Frozen's (superior to the horrendous maelstrom, and I could care less if it's a dreaded IP (gasp!) ) fastpass time approaches, we've already ate twice and logged 12 miles of tromping around. By nightfall, when the torches are lit for the upcoming ROE, all I can think about what time we need to leave so we can get to the 2 hour wait for the monorail. And I know i'll get poo-poo'd (I always do) for saying this, but RoE is basically the same show I've seen there since I started going to epcot as a kid in the 80's. I find it Disney's most unimpressive fireworks display. Don't get me started with the living with the land snoozer or the soon to be defunct Ellen's... Crush is fun for my kid, and I like to walk the aquarium areas on a hot day.

With all that said, we really love WS for the different tastes and interacting with the native folks that are employed in each country. It's usually the most relaxing day in regards to not having to do anything while we wait for our FP's, so we can sightsee and take in the fine details of the park.

Gone are the days of wonder and amazement that I had when went there as a kid. The interactive experiences I had when I was 6-8-10 years old are irreplaceable and left an impression on me for a lifetime. But that ship sailed long ago. Epcot will never be that again. The sad state of upkeep on rides and attractions that have made Epcot into a half day park 'appear' to be changing. Only time will tell though.

Last edited:

UpAllNight

I've been to Orlando for a few weeks in 2015 and 3 weeks this year. I think I've been on every ride in Disney World during the 2 trips...some of them maybe 20 times. I didn't go on Universe of Energy, because I remembered how awful it was when I last visited in 2000. Nostalgia is affecting a few people, but I also think some others should appreciate that they're actually investing and will provide a new ride in what was effectively dead space for many. Doing nothing at this stage was not a better option.

UpAllNight

I don't think anyone's arguing that. Some just think they could have done more/better.

I think they'll get the balance right. I don't think they'd dare, after Frozen, to atleast not attempt to tie it into Epcot. This isn't a new Disney phenomenon....Nemo is the most shoehorned in IP in a Disney park and that was done, what, 10 years ago? That doesn't make it right, obviously. But I think they can add IP if done well...or atleast a hell of a lot better than Nemo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep, I know I can be troll sometimes.
Mike, on a personal note, I can feel you on loosing those rides from our childhoods. I can also accept that Disney will change not just because it wants to but because it has to. Only time will tell if there choices are the right ones.

Because the choices are based on short term thinking they are almost certainly the wrong choices.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think they'll get the balance right. I don't think they'd dare, after Frozen, to atleast not attempt to tie it into Epcot. This isn't a new Disney phenomenon....Nemo is the most shoehorned in IP in a Disney park and that was done, what, 10 years ago? That doesn't make it right, obviously. But I think they can add IP if done well...or atleast a hell of a lot better than Nemo.

Dont worry in 18 months we will be discussing how Nemo was the high point of IP integration and how Six Flags does theming better.

In my worst nightmares i could not even imagine the crap that Disney is doing today

Kman101

I've been to Orlando for a few weeks in 2015 and 3 weeks this year. I think I've been on every ride in Disney World during the 2 trips...some of them maybe 20 times. I didn't go on Universe of Energy, because I remembered how awful it was when I last visited in 2000. Nostalgia is affecting a few people, but I also think some others should appreciate that they're actually investing and will provide a new ride in what was effectively dead space for many. Doing nothing at this stage was not a better option.

Agreed to some extent. Doing nothing is what they had been doing for a decade+ so it was time for something to give.

rle4lunch

Don't look now, but 20,000 leagues was an IP... egads!

UpAllNight

Don't look now, but 20,000 leagues was an IP... egads!

Splash Mountain...one of the greatest rides on the planet is IP based. Tower of Terror too. I just feel people are rather selective and seem to put this down as modern Disney. Crikey, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland & Davy Crockett were technically IPs used in the original Disneyland 62 years ago! I get that nobody wants everything to be IP based...I agree, but the tone around here is this is a plague infecting modern Disney and are looking at the past through romantic, but selective eyes.

Phantom Mickey

As long as Carousel of Progress doesn't close (I'm fine with change), I'm okay. I never grew up with UoE.
----------------------
The EPCOT Center park when it opened in 82 was vastly different from what it is today. One of the features that I thought fit in well was WORLD KEY, Fast Track didn't exist as it does today, Odyssey Restaurant was open and operating as were ALL of the well themed and family entertainment attractions.

NONE of the following belong to me but are a great example of what once was and existed before the cemetary headstones stood before Spaceship Earth.

HORIZONS

MAELSTROM

WORLD KEY INFORMATION SYSTEM

CRANIUM COMMAND

BODY WARS

JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onflv0-LW-4

MOXOMUMD

Umm.. the most recent movie is not even on blu-ray yet, and they are in Infinity War. Marvel and star wars are currently vying for Disney's biggest and hottest IP. You build what brings people into the park. The mistake is thinking Disney is for children alone. Children don't have money. Their parents do.

That said, I'm sure rocket isn't going to jumping around dropping R rated words. Groot, however, might. Never can tell with that guy.
And GOTG Vol. 3 is supposed to be in theaters fall 2020.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom