News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

I don't think any of us need to chill out thanks, some of us liked Epcot the way it was and its been declining for a long time. I know that Epcot needed updating but those updates could have been done in the spirit of what Epcot and future world originally represented, not just putting down IPs for popular films to capitalise on their success.
I don't doubt for a second that the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction will be great, TDO will spend vast sums of money on it and no doubt what we will be left with will be pretty spectacular. However my problem is where it is going and what it replaces, I actually like the UoE pavilion and I know I am in the minority particularly if you included all guests in that for some reason I actually enjoy the current iteration in that building.
I encourage you to read the below book, that book encompass what Epcot should be and was-
51dAsoAO7RL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

They could have but they aren't. So how long do we lament the loss? It's fine to be upset, I'm not thrilled with the change either but what's done is done. Maybe someday we can get something like we once had but we all have to accept and deal with the fact that it hasn't been, truly, Epcot Center for a very long time. Yes, the ride is in the wrong place. Yes the basis for it is a total slap in the face, IMHO, but what does constant hand-wringing over it do? I know it sucks, I'm still not over losing GMR but I don't go on and on abut it. Not trying to be mean to anyone but can we have a dedicated thread to mourning Epcot Center and leave this for those who want to talk about the future ride? It's not fun wading through pages of bemoaning the loss, and trust me, I'm bemoaning the loss too.

I know some will take my posts wrong and get mad but we're beating a dead horse IMO.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you're going to quote something, get it right. "I have underwear older than you." That is the old saying, although I've heard shoes used more often as the item of clothing.
You've been warned, and now you're just trolling, So darling Mom is saying good-bye.
Your post just gave me a serious case of deja vu -- so much so that I had to scroll up and check the date!

Kman101

And to those who want to get up in arms over those of us mourning the loss of what the park once was, get over it. We're entitled. Just as you're entitled to enjoy what's coming and talk about that. But the back and forth is hard to wade through at this point. Can we just have one thread for this ride and one thread for mourning the loss? We have to start respecting each other's opinions even when we disagree. There's no need to tell someone to "chill out" over mourning what the park could be. But I also have come to accept that the park just isn't going to be what it was so I've come to the acceptance stage. Many are still in the denial stage and that's OK.

Jeff456

They could have but they aren't. So how long do we lament the loss? It's fine to be upset, I'm not thrilled with the change either but what's done is done. Maybe someday we can get something like we once had but we all have to accept and deal with the fact that it hasn't been, truly, Epcot Center for a very long time. Yes, the ride is in the wrong place. Yes the basis for it is a total slap in the face, IMHO, but what does constant hand-wringing over it do? I know it sucks, I'm still not over losing GMR but I don't go on and on abut it. Not trying to be mean to anyone but can we have a dedicated thread to mourning Epcot Center and leave this for those who want to talk about the future ride? It's not fun wading through pages of bemoaning the loss, and trust me, I'm bemoaning the loss too.

I know some will take my posts wrong and get mad but we're beating a dead horse IMO.
Completely understand what you are saying, I was replying to a poster specifically telling people to chill out. I am still looking forward to the attraction itself, I am not all doom and gloom!

Kman101

Completely understand what you were saying, I was replying to a poster specifically telling people to chill out. I am still looking forward to the attraction itself, I am not all doom and gloom!

Oh I know. I'm sorry if I was harsh I'm just getting a headache reading all of this back and forth and used your post as a jumping off point. See my posts further down. This change SUCKS. But I guess I've just come to the, sadly, acceptance stage and am ready to move on and get the rest of the band-aid ripped off.

Jeff456

Oh I know. I'm sorry if I was harsh I'm just getting a headache reading all of this back and forth and used your post as a jumping off point. See my posts further down. This change SUCKS. But I guess I've just come to the, sadly, acceptance stage and am ready to move on and get the rest of the band-aid ripped off.
No need to apologise! I'm not saying I am right anyway it's just my opinion. The whole thing is a little sore for me as I am going to be missing out on both UoE and GMR by a week and I had hoped to ride both one last time (or probably multiple times) in the knowledge they were going to be replaced, I just thought we might get a few more weeks.

Kman101

No need to apologise! I'm not saying I am right anyway it's just my opinion. The whole thing is a little sore for me as I am going to be missing out on both UoE and GMR by a week and I had hoped to ride both one last time (or probably multiple times) in the knowledge they were going to be replaced, I just thought we might get a few more weeks.

Yeah that sucks you are missing them by a week :( I'd be upset too. I'm hoping to at least get to DHS and ride GMR one last time but I almost just want to remember it as it was and not go through mourning the loss again LOL. I've long come to accept it and assumed my last visit in May would be my last. I'm blocked out on the 13th but I can go the week before so I'm debating ... I haven't ridden Ellen in probably a decade so I probably won't. I like the Dino scene but riding it will just make it more fresh so I won't LOL.

MrHappy

I've read the book many times, as well as the other books regarding progress city and the Disney participation in the 64 fair as well as Expo 67 in Montreal. I think the biggest problem that this park was going to have, regardless of how much updating was done, is that the people in 2017 (or 1998 for that matter) are not interested in paying $100 a day to go to a science fair. I suspect this is why an expo has not been hosted in North America since the mid to late 80's. I don't completely buy the idea that people don't go on vacation to learn, I just think that those people are not inclined to spend money to do so at Disney, regardless of how well it's presented. This population would be more likely to visit battlegrounds, historic sites, national parks, or other countries as opposed to a Disney facade of these places. The world of the 1950's and 1960's when much of this was imagined and when the expo's were likely to draw crowds is much different today, and it unfortunately makes these ventures less likely to do well over a long period of time. The expo's that they are competing with only last 40-50 days and receive gigantic amounts of government money just for the right to host. Like the Olympics, more often than not this money is never recovered. The fact that the corporate sponsors wanted little to do with the place was probably the best and final indication that whatever changes were going to happen were not going to be in this direction. I will miss the idea of the park and the nostalgia I get from it, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever they put in it's place.

@mapleleaf1389, great post. We should all remember that Animal Kingdom has taken edutainment to another level, more so when it opened (particularly the strong poacher storyline in the original safari). This is probably the way Epcot will go about it - AK is the animal and earth park, Epcot/FW is the Space and Land (with travel and communications mixed in) park. Just like AK, there could be additional little moments of education as you walk around - CM's could be around with robots, gadgets, farming methods, etc to engage, entertain and "teach." I agree, the original EPCOT wouldn't work today, but the AK formula for success will.

tirian

I've read the book many times, as well as the other books regarding progress city and the Disney participation in the 64 fair as well as Expo 67 in Montreal. I think the biggest problem that this park was going to have, regardless of how much updating was done, is that the people in 2017 (or 1998 for that matter) are not interested in paying $100 a day to go to a science fair. I suspect this is why an expo has not been hosted in North America since the mid to late 80's. I don't completely buy the idea that people don't go on vacation to learn, I just think that those people are not inclined to spend money to do so at Disney, regardless of how well it's presented. This population would be more likely to visit battlegrounds, historic sites, national parks, or other countries as opposed to a Disney facade of these places. The world of the 1950's and 1960's when much of this was imagined and when the expo's were likely to draw crowds is much different today, and it unfortunately makes these ventures less likely to do well over a long period of time. The expo's that they are competing with only last 40-50 days and receive gigantic amounts of government money just for the right to host. Like the Olympics, more often than not this money is never recovered. The fact that the corporate sponsors wanted little to do with the place was probably the best and final indication that whatever changes were going to happen were not going to be in this direction. I will miss the idea of the park and the nostalgia I get from it, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever they put in it's place.
Are you secretly pointing out how dumb most Americans are? ;)

ahecht

It actually works for California Adventure. The idea that tourists are there to see the Gotg on display, and at the top Rocket shouts "Is that Disneyland?" Was very clever. For Epcot, only time will tell. Makes me feel like they might tie it into Energy now, so it could be good, it could be bad.

In one of the ride's random variations, Rocket actually says "Disneyland? That's thematically inconsistent!"

KrzyKtty

I loved what Epcot was originally. I grew up with that park. I miss Horizons and Journey into Imagination. I even miss the World of Motion and Body Wars. However, times change. I don't think what the park was would really hold up well today, especially in the wake of Pandora, Star Wars Galaxy Edge, and Toy Story Land.

If it has to change, I am happy that they are at least somewhat tying the theme in that region together again with Mission Space, and Space Restaurant, and a Space themed ride. It at least somewhat still matches the concept of "Future World."

montyz81

What stands out to my roughly 13 year old self, of Epcot, (Seas was a muddy hole in the ground at the time) was mainly Communicore.. it was so interactive, which was amazing. And it was wide open.. no matter where you stopped to do something, there was something shinier and more intriguing in the distance.
Spaceship Earth was awesome.. is still awesome. WoM was the best of the three, though, (IMO), between itself, SSE, and Horizons. (Yeah, Horizons was neat, but I'm not one of the diehard fans). Energy broke down every time we tried to ride it. Either got stuck at the beginning under the fighting dinosaurs up on the wall, or later in the ride. Imagination was just mind blowing.. especially the big diorama with all the moving parts of Dreamfinder on the dirigible thing, and the fountains were mesmerizing.
I don't remember a lot about world showcase, other than being amazed they got the buildings so "real" looking.

I remember Epcot much the same way minus UoE breaking down. Then again, I went in March 83 which means ithe park wasn't even 6 months old yet. The park still had that new car smell. Horizons wasn't open, neither was Seas. I don't remember anything else about WDW outside of Epcot Center save for maybe SM, PoTC and HM. I do remember all the rides in FW and all the countries in WS. I remember getting a dragon candy from a guy in Japan and having an amazing dinner in France. I remember more details as an 12 year old kid from Epcot Center in 1983 then I do any other part of my trip. If anyone says it wasn't working for kids then I must be in the minority.

What is happening today at the park is just a sign of our collective laziness. Lets take the path of least resistance to the money. Lets not spend any more money then we have to. Despite the fact that Walt Disney and Roy Disney were mostly business minded, they had standards that were circled around quality of entertainment and show. In addition to that, there was always something extra that made you want to come back for more. Something that would keep your attention or focus on the experience. In most cases that was the fantasy or ability to dream. In Epcot Center's case that dreaming was based me on reality. You had the feeling that what you were dreaming was actually possible. By educating and inspiring, you walked out felling like you could accomplish anything. That worked in spades for me. I could not get over it. What you get now from Epcot is nothing more then what you can get at MK, AK, Studios, Universal, etc. Hell, you could even get it from Six Flags. The only difference at Disney is better at theming and even that is starting to be a stretch. Epcot's unique ability to educate and inspire is almost completely gone and we have our lazy society to thank for it. Just my opinion.

Incomudro

------------
Hmmm
Interesting response.... The Magic Kindom has always been a FantasyLand and such.
EPCOT was a Discovery and Environmental theme. When they first opened, they couldn't talk enough about how they were being environmental with solar power, solar air conditioning, reuse of waste, etc. YOU DON"T HEAR THAT TODAY!
Oh and Disney MGM Studios.... most of it is closed or torn down now, and it won't be coming back as a studio.
These places are coming back with FANTASYLAND ATTRACTIONS completely void of the original parks themes. Top this with the fact that none of this entertainment is actually DISNEY. They bought it or the rights. This is not the way Dizzy used to work.
On the other hand, It's a beautiful day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Epcot spoke of those things because they were (big buildup) The FUTURE.
They're not the future now, they're the now and well - the not now.
Epcot showed us tech that we imagined we'd have some day:
I remember making restaurant reservations in Epcot and speaking live to a person on video - wow!
The Future!
Now there's Facetime, and Siri.
How can that type of an Epcot ever hope to introduce tech, keep up with it and not get dated?
Especially if that future tech was presented in major rides like Horizons.
Would enough people even be interested in that nowadays?
Anyone interested in new tech simply looks it up on their computer, or goes to trade shows.
Epcot was in an impossible situation.

Maeryk

Epcot spoke of those things because they were (big buildup) The FUTURE.
They're not the future now, they're the now and well - the not now.
Epcot showed us tech that we imagined we'd have some day:
I remember making restaurant reservations in Epcot and speaking live to a person on video - wow!
The Future!
Now there's Facetime, and Siri.
How can that type of an Epcot ever hope to introduce tech, keep up with it and not get dated?
Especially if that future tech was presented in major rides like Horizons.
Would enough people even be interested in that nowadays?
Anyone interested in new tech simply looks it up on their computer, or goes to trade shows.
Epcot was in an impossible situation.

Lol. We aren't farming in space, the desert, or the ocean floor. But the last room in Carousel of Progress is pretty spot on for right now.

Epcot _can_ present future or promising tech in an accessible and meaningful way, but I think it has to move that specific aspect out of giant rides that take years to build, and into smaller vignettes that can be easily updated as things change. As you say, like trade shows, but on the grandest stage of them all. Don't show me a waste management trash truck.. I see them on my street every week. Show me a cutaway of a Tesla E. Get Tesla, SpaceX, Bezos drone program, etc etc in there to do cutting edge, and updateable, displays. Make em pavilions, or the intros to rides that carry the general theme, but aren't expected to impart up to the minute information, and you may have something.

Incomudro

Lol. We aren't farming in space, the desert, or the ocean floor. But the last room in Carousel of Progress is pretty spot on for right now.

Epcot _can_ present future or promising tech in an accessible and meaningful way, but I think it has to move that specific aspect out of giant rides that take years to build, and into smaller vignettes that can be easily updated as things change. As you say, like trade shows, but on the grandest stage of them all. Don't show me a waste management trash truck.. I see them on my street every week. Show me a cutaway of a Tesla E. Get Tesla, SpaceX, Bezos drone program, etc etc in there to do cutting edge, and updateable, displays. Make em pavilions, or the intros to rides that carry the general theme, but aren't expected to impart up to the minute information, and you may have something.

I agree, but I can't blame Disney for believing that is not the right way to go.
The need for continuous updates, plus the competition - Universal - means it just doesn't make sense for them to go that route.
I loved the original Epcot, and I even have memories of the Montreal Worlds Fair.

Maeryk

I agree, but I can't blame Disney for believing that is not the right way to go.
The need for continuous updates, plus the competition - Universal - means it just doesn't make sense for them to go that route.
I loved the original Epcot, and I even have memories of the Montreal Worlds Fair.

What I'm saying is a mix of both. Your preshow/queue is easy to update, designed in such a way that "current" and "future" examples can be swapped out, whilethe attraction itself takes a broader, less specific tone about the overarching concept.

Goofyernmost

I remember Epcot much the same way minus UoE breaking down. Then again, I went in March 83 which means ithe park wasn't even 6 months old yet. The park still had that new car smell. Horizons wasn't open, neither was Seas. I don't remember anything else about WDW outside of Epcot Center save for maybe SM, PoTC and HM. I do remember all the rides in FW and all the countries in WS. I remember getting a dragon candy from a guy in Japan and having an amazing dinner in France. I remember more details as an 12 year old kid from Epcot Center in 1983 then I do any other part of my trip. If anyone says it wasn't working for kids then I must be in the minority.

What is happening today at the park is just a sign of our collective laziness. Lets take the path of least resistance to the money. Lets not spend any more money then we have to. Despite the fact that Walt Disney and Roy Disney were mostly business minded, they had standards that were circled around quality of entertainment and show. In addition to that, there was always something extra that made you want to come back for more. Something that would keep your attention or focus on the experience. In most cases that was the fantasy or ability to dream. In Epcot Center's case that dreaming was based me on reality. You had the feeling that what you were dreaming was actually possible. By educating and inspiring, you walked out felling like you could accomplish anything. That worked in spades for me. I could not get over it. What you get now from Epcot is nothing more then what you can get at MK, AK, Studios, Universal, etc. Hell, you could even get it from Six Flags. The only difference at Disney is better at theming and even that is starting to be a stretch. Epcot's unique ability to educate and inspire is almost completely gone and we have our lazy society to thank for it. Just my opinion.
If you went in March of 83 then there is a good chance that Imagination (the ride) wasn't open yet either. The Seas didn't exist, I don't believe WoL was there yet either.

You may will be correct about the collective laziness of the public. That along with the weird obsession that people have with thrill rides and nothing that requires excessive thought are why EPCOT Ctr. became Epcot. Lament as we might, that is the driving force behind any for profit business... make the most people happy. They are the ones paying the bills. I loved EPCOT Ctr., I really did, however, I recognized when it was dying. Even though I didn't necessarily like or feel the need to participate in the "festivals" (haven't been to one yet) I do understand that it pumped oxygen into a beautiful park and, so far at least, has managed to maintain the look pretty close to like it was in the days that it opened. It did, however, alter the feel for some. Frozen can be argued all day, but, it was a real shot in the arm for a place on life support, there mostly to cater to "Drinking around the World". Where was the outrage for that.
Intellectuals as well as brain dead love to slurp the booze. So that is OK with everyone.
If anything crushed EPCOT under it's heal, that was probably the most offensive thing that was ever introduced to a classic, great park. From majestic intention to sloppy drunks. My, what an improvement that was.

To me if adding a couple of non-original IP's to the place helps stifle that image and make it a family park once more, with a different mission of just entertainment instead of edutainment, I will place my check in the YES box every single time.

celluloid

The Epcot changes are least offensive to me than others. What Tom Fitzgerald referenced about the real and fantastical are true with EPCOT. I do hope Guardians has some edutainment through its meta humor and storyline in the attraction. If it does, I cannot say it is honestly any different from the three combined IPs of Ellen, Jeopardy and Bill Bye teaching loose energy concepts. I cannot say it is a far cry from Body Wars being fantastical or Cranium Command using meta humor excellently. EPCOT opened in a time where there were not a lot of new succesful features being produced, so we were spoiled by Imagineers doing more non franchise based things than ever. I do love theme park originals when they are hits on their own accord over a mediocre film or show based, but I cannot hold it against Guardians.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom