News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

trainplane3

And if they pause, what's the good thing, aside from not having something from James Gunn on the property (which, heh... y'know, that show over at America Gardens...)? There're still a gutted pavilion and a monstrosity of girders to address.
I'd say generic roller coaster about energy would be more interesting personally since it's way more open ended without having to need any references to the previous or future movie. Just trying to make the best (deeper ties to FW) out of a bad situation (gutted pavilion).

Just a little FYI marvel and Disney were well aware of these tweets when he was hired for guardians 1. This "controversy" is odd because it already happened and he already apologized? The weird thing about this is that he got into a fight with an alt right news host and his goons who made a new stink about this. One that caused someone at Disney to pull a trigger way prematurely and now we have this interesting story. And before he is lampooned for his agreeably AWFUL jokes remember this is the same company who has Johnny Depp and Lasseter in professional roles still.
This^
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796
I don't pay much attention to politics so I'm not commenting on the left/right drama. The fact it was "news" 6 years ago should've made this a non-story. But here we are, worrying about some terrible jokes. Imagine if Mel Brooks was in his 20s, on Twitter, today? We'd probably get some pure gold.

This thread is going to need the best autopilot to keep it on course and not going political.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Just a little FYI marvel and Disney were well aware of these tweets when he was hired for guardians 1. This "controversy" is odd because it already happened and he already apologized? The weird thing about this is that he got into a fight with an alt right news host and his goons who made a new stink about this. One that caused someone at Disney to pull a trigger way prematurely and now we have this interesting story. And before he is lampooned for his agreeably AWFUL jokes remember this is the same company who has Johnny Depp and Lasseter in professional roles still.

Dont think it really matters if you lean left or right politically. The people on Twitter basically have no life and will dig up something from 10 years ago if it means they get to ruin your life.

V_L_Raptor

I'd say generic roller coaster about energy would be more interesting personally since it's way more open ended without having to need any references to the previous or future movie. Just trying to make the best (deeper ties to FW) out of a bad situation (gutted pavilion).

It's an idea, but it's also armchair imagineering. It's not an actual giving of a positive thing.

Sped2424

Dont think it really matters if you lean left or right politically. The people on Twitter basically have no life and will dig up something from 10 years ago if it means they get to ruin your life.
The distinction here is why it happened. This was a fight over politics and someone who used that platform to cause this stink! Which is why I stated he was an alt right news host! But I understand your point! Either way it's all very weird!

Magenta Panther

Neither Lasseter nor Depp did ANYTHING remotely as awful as what Gunn did. There are not only tweets...there are videos...gahh.

DisneyCane

Hence why I don't understand people posting "jokes" and things on twitter feeds that the public can see. Especially adults but even kids should have learned by now.

When I was in high school (a looong time ago), I made all kinds of inappropriate jokes and comments with my friends. However, 30 years later nobody can use them against me.

crxbrett

Guardians will still happen at EPCOT, as much as the people who aren't fans of the project are hoping it won't. James Gunn did not create the characters or the stories, he only directed 2 movies utilizing a property that had been established before Disney even obtained the rights to make the films. Disney will find another director and Vol. 3 will still come out in theatres, perhaps delayed, but it will still be released. Will it be as good as the first two films? Maybe, maybe not. But there is no reason Disney would change a theme park project's direction, story, premise - let alone shelve it, based on what happened to the director of said comic-book movie that the attraction is based on.

Disney isn't getting rid of any IP related projects tied to movies that Lasseter helped produce, direct or write - so why would they for Guardians?

Pixieish

James Gunn and Roseanne being fired really leaves a bad taste in my mouth after Lasseter was given a "leave of absence" and then a consulting job for six months. Words are words, they may sting and they may be horrible, but Lasseter basically behaved as if women were present at Pixar for his enjoyment. That goes way beyond horrible, distasteful jokes.

Also, Disney knew what they were getting into with both Gunn and Roseanne, so they're basically establishing a double-standard after-the-fact. Disney might as well come out and say "we will hire anyone we want to make us huge amounts of money, but only until someone says they did something offensive, then we'll drop them like hotcakes and ruin their career...but not if they can still make us boatloads of money or are still working on projects".

I'm pretty sure if we delved into the personal lives of the higher ups at ANY company in the US - including Disney - we'd find some crazy stuff, and the same could likely be said for many of those calling for the termination of people who mess up.

I really worry for the future of this country - we're on a very slippery slope here, and mob mentality can get out of control VERY QUICKLY. Just ask the descendants of those executed in the Salem Witch Trials.

(I am NOT endorsing anything either Gunn or Roseanne said or did.)

Pixieish

Id' say they are two different offenses, both worthy of punishment.
Punishment, sure. Career ruination? That's a bit much. Especially in light of the fact that Gunn's tweets were from more than six years ago.

Perhaps Disney should word employment contracts to the effect that offensive behavior will result in monetary fines. This caving to the mob mentality that seems to be taking over the US is getting a bit ridiculous and in the long run no one will "win".

Rodan75

Or that it wasn’t this big of a deal. I really hate what’s happening to this world. Everyone is so god damn sensitive even over stuff that happened years ago.

This one is particularly egregious. It came to light when he was hired for the original GOTG (maybe not his whole back catalog of tweets, but a fair number, including the rape ones), he made a big deal apology for it. Promised to be a better person, and publicly he has been, and turned that 2nd chance into a solid career with Marvel. People liked GOTG, so we forgot he had a super inappropriate history.

The Roseanne situation was different, she made new horrible comments. Gunn did not.

And no way does this change the Epcot ride. Now there may be an impact to GOTGv3, we’ll have to see if they use his screenplay.

Creators really need to rethink their social media strategy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom