News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Clopin Trouillefou

Oh man, I hadn't considered the fallout being strong enough to torpedo the attraction, but a lot of what Gunn wrote is toxic enough to make it a possibility. If they proceed as planned, this ride is definitely going to be badly tainted.

I hear what you're saying (I came to this specific thread when I heard the news after all) but Pixar has made 2 outstanding movies without that creepy dude at the helm. I think the franchise will ultimately be fine. and just to avoid any potential internet outrage, the tweets were gross and didn't read like jokes or attempts at sarcasm or anything. they were just bad. bad bad bad.

Kman101

Gunn's pretty strongly tied to the first two movies (in terms of him being known by the fans in a Rhode/WDI imagineer fanboy appreciation sort of way). I doubt it affects the attraction though or the movies going forward. I know some have wishful thinking this leads to the end of the ride ... but I don't think we'll see that happening.

trainplane3

So James Gunn has been fired from Marvel and Guardians 3.

Anyone at WDI have those Big Bang Epcot attraction plans that were looked at for the Energy pavilion that can be adapted into a rollercoaster? :p
Man those tweets are some pure high school edginess. Just someone making terrible (the whole spectrum of terrible) jokes that I would've heard in high school/college (and Gunn apologized for 6 years ago). I feel bad for someone making bad jokes and having it nuke their very successful directing career. If this actually causes WDI to pause this ride (completely doubt it), at least we'd get one good thing out of it.

Last edited:

Kman101

We all say and do really dumb things.

The problem is making it public.

And people change over time. I'm not excusing any of the tweets at all. It's ... to be nice ... not pretty. But as a society we're really quick to ostracize someone. I agree the behavior should NOT be tolerated but we all make mistakes. Again, that doesn't excuse anything said. It's not acceptable. It's hard to come back from tweets like this though, personally.

Kman101

Pixar has made zero films without Lasseter at the helm.
He's not even out yet.

It'll be at least 4 years for us to see the difference in what movies are made at Pixar without him there.

While he's overseen the production company, how many of those movies was he personally involved with? These movies have directors and producers and writers who do their own thing. Lasseter hasn't exactly "made" movies, so to speak. But you're right to a degree and we need to wait a while for his influence to really be gone before deciding how well Pixar does without him in charge.

Personally I think they'll be just fine. But we'll see.

I think they need to stay away from sequels for a while.

Kman101

It seems every week someone else 'falls from grace'. People really need to learn to stay off of Twitter or just keep their mouths shut. But a part of me is glad we all get to see who people really are. But I also miss the days of not knowing everything about someone and what everyone feels about something. Anyway ... don't want to derail this too much and the topic could go sour so ...

Timothy_Q

While he's overseen the production company, how many of those movies was he personally involved with? These movies have directors and producers and writers who do their own thing. Lasseter hasn't exactly "made" movies, so to speak. But you're right to a degree and we need to wait a while for his influence to really be gone before deciding how well Pixar does without him in charge.
Every single decision at Pixar and WDAS went through him. He oversaw everything extremely closely.

And yes, he's "made" a bunch of films, look it up

Timothy_Q

According to some posters around here, he's gone and has basically been gone for a while.
He's leaving TWDC in the end of the year.

Even if we're considering his sabbatical as the official end to his Disney career, it'll still be at least 4 years for us to see a movie without his influence. So no, Pixar hasn't made any movies without him yet

Kman101

Every single decision at Pixar and WDAS went through him. He oversaw everything extremely closely.

And yes, he's "made" a bunch of films, look it up

I'm aware of what he's done, thanks ;)

I know how his job worked. And I know he oversaw everything. It doesn't mean he actually "made" some of these films. I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying.

Sped2424

Just a little FYI marvel and Disney were well aware of these tweets when he was hired for guardians 1. This "controversy" is odd because it already happened and he already apologized? The weird thing about this is that he got into a fight with an alt right news host and his goons who made a new stink about this. One that caused someone at Disney to pull a trigger way prematurely and now we have this interesting story. And before he is lampooned for his agreeably AWFUL jokes remember this is the same company who has Johnny Depp and Lasseter in professional roles still.

Kman101

Betcha there's going be some interesting meetings about this in Burbank Monday morning. Whatever chance there is of the ride project getting a last minute change in theme will surely be discussed, even as an outside chance.

I have no doubts it will be discussed, especially when Gunn was seemingly involved with the attraction, he even tweeted about it. But I don't know it ultimately changes anything. Depends on how much they think he'll be associated with it, I suppose. He's tied strongly to the franchise. But I doubt their absolute first priority is a coaster in a park they ignore.

Kman101

Just a little FYI marvel and Disney were well aware of these tweets when he was hired for guardians 1. This "controversy" is odd because it already happened and he already apologized? The weird thing about this is that he got into a fight with an alt right news host and his goons who made a new stink about this. One that caused someone at Disney to pull a trigger way prematurely and now we have this interesting story. And before he is lampooned for his agreeably AWFUL jokes remember this is the same company who has Johnny Depp and Lasseter in professional roles still.

Ohhhh. I knew something was up with all of this. And yes they were well aware of his Twitter history which is why I was surprised it's now some big thing (not saying people shouldn't be upset by his awful tweets, joking or not) that ended with Gunn fired.

IDK, I feel like they're ready to distance themselves from Depp but can't quite seem to do it.

Timothy_Q

I'm aware of what he's done, thanks ;)

I know how his job worked. And I know he oversaw everything. It doesn't mean he actually "made" some of these films. I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying.
The point is, has Pixar made movies without him yet?

The answer is no, they haven't.

V_L_Raptor

Man those tweets are some pure high school edginess. Just someone making terrible (the whole spectrum of terrible) jokes that I would've heard in high school/college (and Gunn apologized for 6 years ago). I feel bad for someone making bad jokes and having it nuke their very successful directing career. If this actually causes WDI to pause this ride (completely doubt it), at least we'd get one good thing out of it.

And if they pause, what's the good thing, aside from not having something from James Gunn on the property (which, heh... y'know, that show over at America Gardens...)? There're still a gutted pavilion and a monstrosity of girders to address.

Bairstow

If Disney knew about the tweets in 2014 it makes it all the stranger that they weren't deleted before now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom