News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree...from the front. The side view wasnt nearly as "epic". Love the ride and love the building, but it was just a box with dual grey color tones and a slanty roof on one side. From the monorail or parking lot in the early 80's there was nothing of the buildings out of park facing sides that screamed "FUTURE!!!". That said, the vegetation grew up around it and made that view virtually impossible to see.

I couldn't find any ground level shots from the 80s, but I recall this side being visible from the parking lot and monorails, but it was almost completely hidden from the entry plaza.

View attachment 287616
The side view was gorgeous from the monorail before they removed the mosaic mirrors.

UpDog71

So, I'm wondering if the proposed Epcot hotel will mirror the GotG show building...just to balance out the front entrance. Just a thought.

ChewbaccaYourMum

I know I'm going to get hate for this, but I really feel like if this thing was built back then when the park opened and told to us it was "A HUGE CUBE TO BE MARVELED AT" or whatever they would have came up with, we would all have no problem with it and say things like how amazing it is you can see it on all sides from everywhere in the park, like all the other buildings!!!
....But because it's being built in today's world (when almost everything they do is wrong to most people) it's the worst thing ever.

castlecake2.0

From a response to the tweet... "Southern International Drive area. Northeast of the outlet mall that is north of Queen of the Universe."

I think it’s from the top level of the parking garage for that outlet mall. When I first saw the pic I recognized the rooftops of the Disney CP housing in the foreground and figured that’s where it was taken. Used to go up there to watch the fireworks sometimes.

No Name

The most unique thing about Epcot, in my opinion, is that it largely doesn't pretend you're somewhere you're not. The setting of the park is a permanent world's fair called Epcot. When you look across World Showcase lagoon, it's not only okay but it's intended for you to see many countries at once because they are representations of those places at this world's fair. Likewise, the Test Track building is a fine architectural element because the attraction's setting is and always has been this building at this world's fair. The concept of the park isn't some easy excuse for immersion. No, instead, it strives to immerse you in Epcot, and that's arguably the most challenging (and most rewarding) concept ever created in the industry.

So the concern is that not only will this will be very visible and ugly but it will have no place within the setting of the park. Some quips and comparisons on here don't hold up.

MrHappy

My guess is the exterior of the building will not be hidden and will look something like California's Guardian attraction.
I'm thinking CA's was designed to look like the story it supports on the inside: space prison. While Epcot's might be more outer space/futuristic, seems like the branding on the construction wall is going this way "A whole new galaxy is coming to Epcot" with imagery of deep space.

Bender123

The most unique thing about Epcot, in my opinion, is that it largely doesn't pretend you're somewhere you're not. The setting of the park is a permanent world's fair called Epcot. When you look across World Showcase lagoon, it's not only okay but it's intended for you to see many countries at once because they are representations of those places at this world's fair. Likewise, the Test Track building is a fine architectural element because the attraction's setting is and always has been this building at this world's fair. The concept of the park isn't some easy excuse for immersion. No, instead, it strives to immerse you in Epcot, and that's arguably the most challenging (and most rewarding) concept ever created in the industry.

So the concern is that not only will this will be very visible and ugly but it will have no place within the setting of the park. Some quips and comparisons on here don't hold up.

We don't even know what the theme of the exterior is and people are already complaining because of one section of steel beams..."THOSE STEEL BEAMS ARE TOTALLY WRECKING THE EPCOT RANDOM FUTURISM ARCHETECTUAL STYLE!!! THEY HAVENT EVEN FULLY THEMED THE CONSTRUCTION SITE YET!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!"

lazyboy97o

We don't even know what the theme of the exterior is and people are already complaining because of one section of steel beams..."THOSE STEEL BEAMS ARE TOTALLY WRECKING THE EPCOT RANDOM FUTURISM ARCHETECTUAL STYLE!!! THEY HAVENT EVEN FULLY THEMED THE CONSTRUCTION SITE YET!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!"
This is the same company that is erecting blanks walls facing World Showcase for a ride. That is also dropping a huge box on the outskirts of Tomorrowland. That made a tower intentionally obnoxious to its setting. There is plenty of precedent.

Bender123

This is the same company that is erecting blanks walls facing World Showcase for a ride. That is also dropping a huge box on the outskirts of Tomorrowland. That made a tower intentionally obnoxious to its setting. There is plenty of precedent.

You mean the other building that hasn't been completed, yet? These buildings are barely 10% complete, if even that...We just don't know what the final theme is going to be, so lets not start saying its a big box, before they even have the walls up.

V_L_Raptor

You mean the other building that hasn't been completed, yet? These buildings are barely 10% complete, if even that...We just don't know what the final theme is going to be, so lets not start saying its a big box, before they even have the walls up.

Soarin' exists as big boxes.
The (now apparently defunct) Millenium Showplace pavilion was a big box.
Precedent does indeed exist. When Disney thinks they can get away with shaving a little off the planned budget by building big boxes, they do and they have. Themed buildings don't generally exist as great, big boxes, unless you're talking about "soundstages" in some kind of studio park, and even then it's not what anyone would call "inspired."

Rabble, rabble yourself.

Bender123

Soarin' exists as big boxes.
The (now apparently defunct) Millenium Showplace pavilion was a big box.
Precedent does indeed exist. When Disney thinks they can get away with shaving a little off the planned budget by building big boxes, they do and they have. Themed buildings don't generally exist as great, big boxes, unless you're talking about "soundstages" in some kind of studio park, and even then it's not what anyone would call "inspired."

Rabble, rabble yourself.

Weird...I always thought it was reminiscent of mountains behind Canada. The colors on it make it almost blend into the background in most lighting conditions. I, honestly, lose track of it unless I am actively seeking it out. It has the same hue as the sky on a hot and hazy day.

Bender123

Making it eye catching would be even worse.

Rat can easily be hidden with some fake widows and "Parisian" looking balconies and details. Its a huge building, but its not like it cant be well hidden/blended in with vegetation and theme. Guardians, on the other hand, will stand out, but its not like the rest of Future World doesn't stand out. Every one of those buildings is eye catching, so I am waiting on judgment until I see what the finished product looks like. Right now, we really have no idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom