News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

RSoxNo1

lol

it's really not that serious :)

Personal taste and all that ;)

I think we're aware both parks can make some bad decisions. Again: it doesn't always need to be a competition.

It's like a lot of things going on now in the world. "Well, THEY DID IT BAD TOO! SEE!!!" lol

It doesn't make either better or worse than the other because "they did it bad too". It's sad we have to compare who did it worst.
I've criticized California Screamin' as well. California Screamin', Incredible Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Barnstormer, Rip Ride Rockit and Slinky Dog Dash are light to moderately themed roller coasters. I don't think they belong in Disney or Universal parks. I'll ride them on occasion, but I don't think they look good.

NobodyElse

I've criticized California Screamin' as well. California Screamin', Incredible Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Barnstormer, Rip Ride Rockit and Slinky Dog Dash are light to moderately themed roller coasters. I don't think they belong in Disney or Universal parks. I'll ride them on occasion, but I don't think they look good.

Just an observation, but California Screamin' might be considered a large scale analog to Primeval Whirl. Both are very appropriate for their immediate surroundings.

I'll just leave it at that. :)

RSoxNo1

Just an observation, but California Screamin' might be considered a large scale analog to Primeval Whirl. Both are very appropriate for their immediate surroundings.

I'll just leave it at that. :)
I think of the ones listed, California Screamin' fits the area the best, but it's a lousy theme to begin with. No amount of money or quality theming will make Paradise/Pixar Pier look as good as Africa, Pandora, Cars Land or Diagon Alley. The same is true of Primeval Whirl, but at least Screamin is a great coaster.

Disneyhead'71

I have had this argument a hundred times on here about different types of artistic theming. Y'all really like "Realism". Like BTMRR and Everest. And completely discount the merits of "Impressionism". It's like saying Rembrant is a master but Monet is a hack. Or Beethoven is a master but Debussy is a hack.

Just because you can see steel doesn't mean that it's not themed. To you guys, Six Flags buying an off the shelf top hat, painting it green and purple and calling it The Joker is the same thing Manta at SeaWorld. It's not. I get it, you can see steel, it doesn't matter what you call it. End of story. I personally think Manta is one of the best themed coasters out there.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

What? Theming an area of a world-class theme park to look like a lesser park isn't a good idea?

;)
If they had gone full blown "Luna Park" cir. 1920s with a bazillion popcorn lights and a real wood coaster with old school trains made of hand oiled mahogany and burgundy leather with brass studs. An actual Philadelphia Toboggan Co. carousel, and an old school Shoot the Chutes boat ride it may have worked.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they had gone full blown "Luna Park" cir. 1920s with a bazillion popcorn lights and a real wood coaster with old school trains made of hand oiled mahogany and burgundy leather with brass studs. An actual Philadelphia Toboggan Co. carousel, and an old school Shoot the Chutes boat ride it may have worked.

Yeah... got to plus it up to world-class levels to make it work.

The carny ride park that never was and always will be!!

Kman101

I think of the ones listed, California Screamin' fits the area the best, but it's a lousy theme to begin with. No amount of money or quality theming will make Paradise/Pixar Pier look as good as Africa, Pandora, Cars Land or Diagon Alley. The same is true of Primeval Whirl, but at least Screamin is a great coaster.

Thank you. I'm not a fan of Paradise/Pixar Pier either.

For a Disney boardwalk, fine, they did a nice job. For a Dino-Carnival, they did a nice job. But I don't want them in the parks.

RobotWolf

For a Dino-Carnival, they did a nice job.

Ok. Maybe. But one thing they failed at was communicating that they were doing this cheap look "tongue-in-cheek." It just looks like the cheap part of the park; an eyesore in light of the beauty and design of the rest of the park.

But I don't want them in the parks.

That's the thing. I can't imagine anyone asking Disney or any other theme park for something less than what they are known for. People originally flocked to Disney parks to see things they couldn't see elsewhere.

matt2394

See, I feel that there's a time and a place for that: take the boardwalk hotel for example. It has the classic Luna Park theme and all the trimmings but it's not the focal point of a park. Things like Dino-Rama are just eyesores and stick out compared to how well implimented everything else is.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

What? Theming an area of a world-class theme park to look like a lesser park isn't a good idea?

;)
I know this is sarcasm, but the thing people fail to realize is that if you have a poor theme to begin with, the land can only be so good. Something like Toy Story is a great movie but it doesn't really lend itself to a well themed land. Oversized props don't have the same feel as a worn building in Diagon Alley or Africa or the rockwork and foliage in Cars Land or Pandora.

Aesthetically, Xandar could work as a themed area in Epcot, but story wise it's a bit of a stretch. For concepts like that, relegating the IP to an attraction is probably the best scenario for maintaining thematic integrity. Take Frozen Ever After for example. There's nothing about the attraction itself that belongs in World Showcase, but aesthetically the additions to the area look great.

TeriofTerror

Just came back from a trip a few weeks ago, and I can honestly say I had a better time at Universal. The experience I had at WDW has soured my outlook on the parks; I've never had a less-magical experience than I did at the Magic Kingdom.
I just got back Saturday, and it was the complete opposite for me. We had a great time at WDW, but I think I now understand all of the complaints about screens at Universal.
Well, more accurately, motion simulators.
Even with Dramamine, I was feeling some ill effects a few hours into each day. I think Express may have been actually working against me, as I had very few breaks between attractions.
At WDW, I'm fine as long as I avoid the teacups and Primeval Whirl. At Uni, I just had to keep finding the strength to soldier on.
I can ride roller coasters all day, but all of those motion simulators felt like an attack of deliberate cruelty.

Kman101

Ok. Maybe. But one thing they failed at was communicating that they were doing this cheap look "tongue-in-cheek." It just looks like the cheap part of the park; an eyesore in light of the beauty and design of the rest of the park.

That's the thing. I can't imagine anyone asking Disney or any other theme park for something less than what they are known for. People originally flocked to Disney parks to see things they couldn't see elsewhere.

I was giving the Carnival area a bit of a backhanded compliment. I don't like it at all. But for a cheap Dino-Carnival, they did a good job. Does that make sense? lol. It's an eyesore in Animal Kingdom, absolutely.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is a sever crane shortage in central FL.

And there is no doubt in my mind that the vertical steel is the bottom of the tower crane. The attraction has not gone vertical yet.

Based on the new aerial, this doesn't look like a tower crane.

1526479591114.png

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What are the chances that the road between the load building and the show building stays and the launch between the buildings is inclined (not necessarily dissimilar to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris) and goes over the road? I mean, it just seems like if the road were going to go, they'd have removed it by now and you'd see footers for the launch where the road is now. There also seems to be some large steel girders at the back of the work site. Usually, I'd see something like this for a roof of a show building like this, but it seems far too early for that now. Could these girders be to build a tunnel over that road?

Then again, if you were going to re-route the road, it would go behind the show building and you wouldn't want to do that until construction of the show building is much further along. Could easily demo the road and build a (flat) launch track while working on teh show building.. so yeah.. maybe not... (seriously, I don't know... just spit-balling here...)

I've made a crude image of what this could be like below, but "You'll have to forgive the crudeness of this model. I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale."

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

montyz81

What are the chances that the road between the load building and the show building stays and the launch between the buildings is inclined (not necessarily dissimilar to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris) and goes over the road? I mean, it just seems like if the road were going to go, they'd have removed it by now and you'd see footers for the launch where the road is now. There also seems to be some large steel girders at the back of the work site. Usually, I'd see something like this for a roof of a show building like this, but it seems far too early for that now. Could these girders be to build a tunnel over that road?

Then again, if you were going to re-route the road, it would go behind the show building and you wouldn't want to do that until construction of the show building is much further along. Could easily demo the road and build a (flat) launch track while working on teh show building.. so yeah.. maybe not... (seriously, I don't know... just spit-balling here...)

I've made a crude image of what this could be like below, but "You'll have to forgive the crudeness of this model. I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale."

View attachment 284166
Nice BTTF reference. Anyway, I was thinking the same thing about the road. It could be a launch like RNRC that starts at the second level. After all they do have plenty of room in the Energy building to do what they want. I am also wondering if Wonders will be part of this. That new building is really close to the Wonders building. It makes me think that all three buildings are going to develop into it's own land/area separate from Future World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom