News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

Sadly, the one page Disney took out of Universal's book is to build screen heavy movie based thrill rides. FaP at DAK, GotG at EPCOT, that dude that looks somewhat like Mickey at DHS. For variety, Tron is just a movie based thrill ride.
Meanwhile, those rides that did set Disney apart from everybody else are being ripped out: Energy, GMR. These were the placemaking rides, the theme-making rides. The parks feel flat and unfulfilling without them.

UNI for its part too is getting too build up. The Cabana Bay corner is suffocating under mediocre hotels and development. Their turn at taking the wrong page from Eisner's WDW book: destroy your tranquil paradise for aggressive concrete and towers.

I agree Uni is getting too built up. I don't like it. I know that's not a popular phrase. I know the wand wavers are salivating at a third park, they eat up Cabana Bay as the bestest ever, etc. but I fear the growth, TBH.

I don't need to get into the attractions Disney has built or is building. lol. I think screens have a place if used right, just like IP has a place if used right. They don't seem to quite understand how to properly use IP so it's becoming hard to insist IP isn't the problem when they can't implement it well and keep shoving it where it doesn't belong.

TRON isn't screen based. It's a coaster and YMMV on liking a coaster.

We don't quite know how Mickey will work out. What if you happen to be really impressed by it? YMMV on the artistic design of the animation. Personally I don't need a ride with Corporate Mascot Mickey cheerily telling me to have a magical day. I'm open to the idea they came up with. I don't love everything about the design of the shorts but I like the idea behind them and I think if they did away the gross Ren and Stimpy close ups, it'd be fine. I doubt we get the gross out or coked out Goofy in the ride. But I get not liking the design choice. I just posted the other day how strange it will be to walk into one of my absolute favorite attractions, GMR, and have a whole new experience there instead. I LOVED GMR. It shouldn't have gone. But I think Mickey has the chance to be impressive if you can look past the design of the park mascot.

FOP is a fantastic screen ride. It's a shame we're so burnt out on screens because it's a worthy screen attraction. I haven't seen more than a minute of the Avatar movie and I think it's a great attraction. But YMMV.

Personally I think coasters are just as much of a problem as screen based attractions.

But I fear Uni's growth. Again, I know the wand wavers are salivating at parks three and four ....

I really don't know why Universal felt we needed Transformers, Fallon, Fast and Furious, Kong (and I like the new Kong ride) ... so much of "more of the same" (I know Transformers gets a pass because it was a "bonus" and the films are 'fun' but what's great about it? I mean, it's fine but why is it special? It isn't. Fallon is terrible. F&F is a glorified take on the Hollywood version, which wasn't good, and still isn't here, but the fans of the movie of course eat it up.) And while impressive, both Potter rides are screen based, mostly. I don't know. I think sometimes screens work. Sometimes they don't. There's absolutely too much reliance on screens though.

I take more issue sitting in front of a screen and not moving.

I think, while Na'vi River Journey is lacking for many, I think the screens actually enhance the ride. But to each their own of course.

Kman101

In comparison to Typhoon Volcano defininitely suffers from breathing space. It does not feel like a secluded tropical paradise, like a self-contained world.

And the Wanders start to cry ... lol

I mean, the truth hurts. Universal does some great things but they aren't perfect by any means. I don't get the need some have to prop them up as the greatest ever.

Mike S

I agree Uni is getting too built up. I don't like it. I know that's not a popular phrase. I know the wand wavers are salivating at a third park, they eat up Cabana Bay as the bestest ever, etc. but I fear the growth, TBH.

I don't need to get into the attractions Disney has built or is building. lol. I think screens have a place if used right, just like IP has a place if used right. They don't seem to quite understand how to properly use IP so it's becoming hard to insist IP isn't the problem when they can't implement it well and keep shoving it where it doesn't belong.

TRON isn't screen based. It's a coaster and YMMV on liking a coaster.

We don't quite know how Mickey will work out. What if you happen to be really impressed by it? YMMV on the artistic design of the animation. Personally I don't need a ride with Corporate Mascot Mickey cheerily telling me to have a magical day. I'm open to the idea they came up with. I don't love everything about the design of the shorts but I like the idea behind them and I think if they did away the gross Ren and Stimpy close ups, it'd be fine. I doubt we get the gross out or coked out Goofy in the ride. But I get not liking the design choice. I just posted the other day how strange it will be to walk into one of my absolute favorite attractions, GMR, and have a whole new experience there instead. I LOVED GMR. It shouldn't have gone. But I think Mickey has the chance to be impressive if you can look past the design of the park mascot.

FOP is a fantastic screen ride. It's a shame we're so burnt out on screens because it's a worthy screen attraction. I haven't seen more than a minute of the Avatar movie and I think it's a great attraction. But YMMV.

Personally I think coasters are just as much of a problem as screen based attractions.

But I fear Uni's growth. Again, I know the wand wavers are salivating at parks three and four ....

I really don't know why Universal felt we needed Transformers, Fallon, Fast and Furious, Kong (and I like the new Kong ride) ... so much of "more of the same" (I know Transformers gets a pass because it was a "bonus" and the films are 'fun' but what's great about it? I mean, it's fine but why is it special? It isn't. Fallon is terrible. F&F is a glorified take on the Hollywood version, which wasn't good, and still isn't here, but the fans of the movie of course eat it up.) And while impressive, both Potter rides are screen based, mostly. I don't know. I think sometimes screens work. Sometimes they don't. There's absolutely too much reliance on screens though.

I take more issue sitting in front of a screen and not moving.

I think, while Na'vi River Journey is lacking for many, I think the screens actually enhance the ride. But to each their own of course.
Did you just lump Gringotts with Forbidden Journey...? Apologize to Forbidden Journey!!! ;)

rle4lunch

Agreed with the screens on Na'vi river journey. The thing I can't stand is that they're speaking in Na'vi ese , which I know is for 'realism', but it detracts from understanding the ride and what message they're trying to convey. It's like watching a foreign movie without subtitles. And not a movie that we know already, but an Indi film that is trying to be "artistic". So while Na'vi journey is really pretty to look at, there really isn't any 'meat' to the ride if you don't know what the hell story they're trying to tell....

Kman101

If you go to HHN you might encounter this, though I’ve attended that event every year since the mid-2000s and never really have.

Otherwise, modern Uni is entirely different than old Uni, and the change more or less dates to the opening of the first HP land in 2010.

I agree the overall vibe is entirely different now (for the better).

aladdin2007

Some of us are still in mourning. To walk by the ride last week killed me. To look inside from the monorail was a dagger in the heart. I remember standing in a line like this to see and ride the ride:
View attachment 283070

what gets me about that picture aside from the line (wow), are all the beautiful trees and landscaping, which they have ruined over the years and diminished.

Kman101

Agreed with the screens on Na'vi river journey. The thing I can't stand is that they're speaking in Na'vi ese , which I know is for 'realism', but it detracts from understanding the ride and what message they're trying to convey. It's like watching a foreign movie without subtitles. And not a movie that we know already, but an Indi film that is trying to be "artistic". So while Na'vi journey is really pretty to look at, there really isn't any 'meat' to the ride if you don't know what the hell story they're trying to tell....

I think what they try to do is just immerse you in the world and I don't think they really thought of 'explaining' the journey, so to speak. I think that's where some guests feel a little lost and are left with "that's it"? But to be fair, the first ride I took I was just settling in and enjoying it as we approached the animatronic and then it was over and I was disappointed there wasn't more, so I can understand guests who feel a little let down. I do think it would have benefitted from being a little longer. But I feel immersed. I don't look up and see a warehouse (I'm looking at you, Mermaid ... among others). They did a nice job with it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The one advantage Disney has over Uni in this area is the blessing of size (Yep I just said that). The cramped nature of Uni will always impact the quality IMO. Sometime size limits how grand you can make something resulting in a poorer perception of what has been built. I think Volcano Bay really shows that.
Try Disneyland.

To its credit, I was amazed how tranquil Volcano Bay seems when inside. Until you climb a slide tower. Even then not all were "bad" par say.

rle4lunch

I think what they try to do is just immerse you in the world and I don't think they really thought of 'explaining' the journey, so to speak. I think that's where some guests feel a little lost and are left with "that's it"? But to be fair, the first ride I took I was just settling in and enjoying it as we approached the animatronic and then it was over and I was disappointed there wasn't more, so I can understand guests who feel a little let down. I do think it would have benefitted from being a little longer. But I feel immersed. I don't look up and see a warehouse (I'm looking at you, Mermaid ... among others). They did a nice job with it.

It's really well done technically. there isn't a payoff to it. It reminds me of Kali River Rapids; you get on all excited, then like 17 seconds later your done, shaking your head that they nearly ruin a perfectly good ride by grossly inadequate ride time.

Mike S

Almost as if on que Universal just announced Jurassic Park in Hollywood is getting an update which seems to imply an Indominus Rex AA being added to the finale.
On this river-raft adventure, get doused as a colossal Mosasaursus dives for its great white shark snack. But the real danger lies ahead when the brutal Indominus rex escapes its enclosure. Be prepared when a 50-foot Tyrannosaurs rex comes to your rescue… right before your final plunge down a treacherous 84-foot waterfall.

With rumors of a new ride coming to Orlando as well I’d imagine our update will be announced alongside a land wide update.

Kman101

Almost as if on que Universal just announced Jurassic Park in Hollywood is getting an update which seems to imply an Indominus Rex AA being added to the finale.

With rumors of a new ride coming to Orlando as well I’d imagine our update will be announced alongside a land wide update.

The Hollywood one apparently badly needs an update.

Let's hope Orlando does the same. Where can they put a new ride for Jurassic? (I really need to better keep up with the Uni rumors) I'm not as familiar with the space in the Universal parks as I am with the Disney parks.

MomofPrincessGrace

Fun fact, just found out last week while I was at a family member's funeral that my mom's cousin's husband got a bid to help build this coaster. She already said that she is planning a trip to go down there this fall once school is back in session.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom