News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

doctornick

I'd argue that TT2.0 makes an attempt to get back to what the original EC was all about. It is a good (not spectacular)attempt at educating, entertaining through thrill and talking about the future. It is somewhat inspiring.
Also, the Land boat ride still has an education feel to it.

Sum of All Thrills accomplished that as well, but was not well known at all. I miss that hidden gem.

Bairstow

Edutainment isn't supposed to provide 'conventional wisdom' but real facts. A 1922 edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica gives the consensus view of petroleum being the sediment of marine (micro) organisms, either plant or animal. Modern science comes down on animal micro organisms. In 1982, science was quite sure it wasn't land animals of any era.

The "oil comes from dinosaurs" myth was/is very persistent, thanks in large part to a decades-long ad campaign by Sinclair Oil, which played fast and lose with geological history in order to sell more nickel-poisoned gasoline.

Exxon and/or the Imagineers who worked on Energy happily capitalized on the myth.
(Skip to around 10:00)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The "oil comes from dinosaurs" myth was/is very persistent, thanks in large part to a decades-long ad campaign by Sinclair Oil, which played fast and lose with geological history in order to sell more nickel-poisoned gasoline.

Exxon and/or the Imagineers who worked on Energy happily capitalized on the myth.
(Skip to around 10:00)

I understand it was a persistent myth. But not for scientists. Were the Epcot edutainment rides supposed to educate or miseducate? In Ellen's version, Bill Nye goes out of his way to say it wasn't dinosaurs, that's education.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They can use it in California, just not Florida.?

In Florida, they can't use the characters (and their 'families') in WDW that Universal Orlando is using.

In both Florida and California, they can't use "Marvel" branding, even though California can use any of the Marvel characters as they wish.

In Japan, they can't use Spider-Man since Uni Japan has Spider-Man.

Outside the U.S., (Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Paris) they can use "Marvel."

Simplified form of the contract with annotations...

Attachments

• Universal Contract redacted.pdf
    204.7 KB · Views: 113

ProfSavage

In Florida, they can't use the characters (and their 'families') in WDW that Universal Orlando is using.

In both Florida and California, they can't use "Marvel" branding, even though California can use any of the Marvel characters as they wish.

In Japan, they can't use Spider-Man since Uni Japan has Spider-Man.

Outside the U.S., (Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Paris) they can use "Marvel."

Simplified form of the contract with annotations...

My mistake. I thought they could us Marvel branding everywhere but Florida, because I knew California could use the characters or families not being used etc etc. so I always assumed California could use both and that's what the whole "East of the Mississippi" stipulation was about. Oops.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Edutainment isn't supposed to provide 'conventional wisdom' but real facts. A 1922 edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica gives the consensus view of petroleum being the sediment of marine (micro) organisms, either plant or animal. Modern science comes down on animal micro organisms. In 1982, science was quite sure it wasn't land animals of any era.
In 1982 dinosaurs were single colours too.

TeriofTerror

Except for mentioning that the rights to use "Marvel" brand in theme parks is limited to just the U.S., what did they get wrong?
Shouldn't the headline read, "Disney California Adventure Park's Marvel Expansion..."? That was my issue with it. ;)
Seriously, "Disney's California Adventures"? Were they asleep when they typed it?!?! A post on a message board is one thing, but as the headline of an article... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

But, But, But it's MAGICal pixie dust infused falling debris at the GF...

We visited Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in December 2017 and March 2018. There are numerous shingles missing on the roof of the main building (visible when driving up) and surrounding buildings (with rooflines visible from the monorail). It is incomprehensible that anyone in a management level position would want a first time guest arriving at a resort, with nightly room rates comparable to a monthly mortgage or rent, to see a roof in disrepair. When exteriors are not maintained, most people rightfully assume that the interiors are equally poor or worse.

Also, the next time you get off the monorail, look up at the white ceiling fans. Unless something has changed since the first week of March, you will find the ceiling fans to be coated in a combination of dust and black residue.

I try not to take in the details anymore when I wander the resort, because I find more things that have likely needed a work request for years.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We visited Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in December 2017 and March 2018. There are numerous shingles missing on the roof of the main building (visible when driving up) and surrounding buildings (with rooflines visible from the monorail). It is incomprehensible that anyone in a management level position would want a first time guest arriving at a resort, with nightly room rates comparable to a monthly mortgage or rent, to see a roof in disrepair. When exteriors are not maintained, most people rightfully assume that the interiors are equally poor or worse.

Also, the next time you get off the monorail, look up at the white ceiling fans. Unless something has changed since the first week of March, you will find the ceiling fans to be coated in a combination of dust and black residue.

I try not to take in the details anymore when I wander the resort, because I find more things that have likely needed a work request for years.

Pathetic that some 'hot sheet' motels have better maintenance standards than Disney's so called 'Flagship Hotel', By the way I've stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado and it's almost a hundred years old and in FAR better shape than the GF and it costs less per night too in a FAR more expensive city than Orlando.

P.S. The Del Coronado was the hotel the GF was modeled after.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Pathetic that some 'hot sheet' motels have better maintenance standards than Disney's so called 'Flagship Hotel', By the way I've stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado and it's almost a hundred years old and in FAR better shape than the GF and it costs less per night too in a FAR more expensive city than Orlando.

First, the Del does not cost less than the GF. Sometimes the GF is more, sometimes the Del is more. Sometimes the Del is wayyyyyy more. Depends on which dates you're looking at.

Second, just because the GF looks like the Del doesn't mean it makes sense to compare their prices. Entirely different destinations. Entirely different properties. They provide entirely different vacation experiences.

Finally, the Del isn't in FAR better shape than the GF. It has parts that look worn and dated too. They do a good job maintaining the property but it isn't perfect.

Last edited:

Bairstow

The Del ain't that cheap, especially if you go during beach season and don't want a view of the street. I used to think Disney's merch was expensive until I went to their gift shops last fall.
Yikes.

Apples to oranges, anyway. At Disney you're paying for park access, not luxury.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Scary thing is the dinosaur myth is what I was taught in school.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Your rebuttals are getting worse and worse... time to step up your game a bit ;)

Castle Cake Apologist

Well, that's not true, either.

I completely agree with your larger point, but this is is technically false.

While it's not true that fossil fuels are made from literal liquified dinosaur bones, it is true that much of the material from which fossil fuels are made are from during or even before the time of dinosaurs

It's widely accepted that Dinosaurs died out around 65 million years ago, during the Cretaceous-Tertiary event. However, much of the plants and bacteria from which fossil fuels are created have been in the Earth since even before the Devonian era, which was around 400 million years ago.

The connection is still flimsy, but much of our fossil fuels did originate from before or during the reign of the dinosaurs. They just aren't created from the harvested remains of the actual dinosaurs.

A better argument would be against calling them "fossil" fuels at all, since they're not made from fossils, and are actually harvested from organic materials left behind by plants and bacteria.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom