News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

celluloid

I get it won't have inversions, but what about speed? Will that be around RNRC (60mph), Everest (50mph) or more on the slower side?

I would be thinking more like an inbetween of Revenge of The Mummy and Escape From Gringotts. They want something lower than a 48 inch height requirement if they can help it as that makes it a more intense ride and a taller height requirement that prevents the family accessibility and appeal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I get it won't have inversions, but what about speed? Will that be around RNRC (60mph), Everest (50mph) or more on the slower side?

I would be thinking more like an inbetween of Revenge of The Mummy and Escape From Gringotts. They want something lower than a 48 inch height requirement if they can help it as that makes it a more intense ride and a taller height requirement that prevents the family accessibility and appeal.

I know over shoulder and lap bars have both been looked at if that’s any indication.

lazyboy97o

High speeds, yes, and even hyper banks, but I think you'd be hard pressed to cite coasters with just lap bars alone doing inversions.
I hopped over to RCDB and this was the random image.
https://rcdb.com/11057.htm#p=48381

Plenty of coasters with inversions have lap bars. Vekoma only does lap bars for their standard trains; the over the shoulder vest is optional even with inversions.

RSoxNo1

Corless' article indicated dual load and unload. Is that correct? Just to clarify the question, I mean that it would have two spots to load and two separate spots to unload (which I believe is Tron's layout). Or would it be more like California Screamin' where they have two stations but you load and unload from the same area? For a traditional coaster setup dual load and dual unload seems like overkill, for Tron it makes sense.

trainplane3

High speeds, yes, and even hyper banks, but I think you'd be hard pressed to cite coasters with just lap bars alone doing inversions.
Every RMC conversion is lap bar only and a couple Mack coaster use lap bars with inversions. Over the shoulder isn't needed on most rides with the exceptions being inverted, floorless, and dive types.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I hopped over to RCDB and this was the random image.
https://rcdb.com/11057.htm#p=48381

Plenty of coasters with inversions have lap bars. Vekoma only does lap bars for their standard trains; the over the shoulder vest is optional even with inversions.
Every RMC conversion is lap bar only and a couple Mack coaster use lap bars with inversions. Over the shoulder isn't needed on most rides with the exceptions being inverted, floorless, and dive types.
Clearly, there are trains that do inversions with just lap bars, so I stand...er, sit... corrected. The few inversion coasters I've ridden with lap bars (not OTSRs) also had seat belts. The Karacho doesn't seem to have them. Even many OTSR coasters have belts holding the restraint down.

The lap bar being the sole restraint seems like a terrible single point of failure to me. The latent engineer in me does not approve.

PREMiERdrum

Clearly, there are trains that do inversions with just lap bars, so I stand...er, sit... corrected. The few inversion coasters I've ridden with lap bars (not OTSRs) also had seat belts. The Karacho doesn't seem to have them. Even many OTSR coasters have belts holding the restraint down.

The lap bar being the sole restraint seems like a terrible single point of failure to me. The latent engineer in me does not approve.

At least here in Ohio, the law simply requires a secondary restraint mechanism for roller coaster trains. The secondary restraint is often a seat belt or a latch clip physically connecting the moving retraint part to the train, but in some new rides at Cedar Point and Kings Island, the secondary restraint is a redundant mechanism within the restraint itself. Having redundant internal restraints can dramatically increase dispatch times.

trainplane3

Vekoma’s current suspended train uses a lap bar.
I remembered that right after I hit post. Isn't that for the family suspended version though?

You'd be surprised how tough it is to have a restraint fail. Most if, not all, modern coasters use a hydraulic lock mechanism and the only way to get it to release is to apply power to it (could vary to each manufacturer). These aren't your 1980/1990 restraints with the simple "click click" lock with a foot pedal release out each car. Hydraulic (can still click, but is usually a smooth pull back) restraints are incredibly strong and typically have a second cylinder as a backup in case of a extreme failure. And even then, a belt (and ride forces) will keep it down.

A lapbar vs OSTR really aren't different. Both hold you in, both have a similar point of failure. One is over your legs and the other is over your shoulder.

(I am in the office so I can't go too much into detail, so I'm probably not 100% on)

I'm still surprised Disney hasn't put a belt on RnRC yet and just runs the OSTR and nothing else.
At least here in Ohio, the law simply requires a secondary restraint mechanism for roller coaster trains. The secondary restraint is often a seat belt or a latch clip physically connecting the moving retraint part to the train, but in some new rides at Cedar Point and Kings Island, the secondary restraint is a redundant mechanism within the restraint itself. Having redundant internal restraints can dramatically increase dispatch times.
That too^
Cedar Point takes safety seriously but with no impacts to operations. Valravn still has a belt and I'm sure Steel Vengeance will but they both (as well as MF, Maverick, TTD, WT, GK. Might be missing some) could run without a belt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom