News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

lazyboy97o

I remembered that right after I hit post. Isn't that for the family suspended version though?
Nope. To better manage their costs following their bankruptcy, Vekoma sought to streamline their offerings by going for a multipurpose coaster design. There is a traditional coaster train intended for more intense layouts, but by-in-large they now have a traditional and suspended train design that is intended for a variety of uses, from family coaster to ones with loops. You'll see a lot of the more intense coaster feature a vest that goes over-the-shoulder, but this is an option chosen by the buyer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Corless' article indicated dual load and unload. Is that correct? Just to clarify the question, I mean that it would have two spots to load and two separate spots to unload (which I believe is Tron's layout). Or would it be more like California Screamin' where they have two stations but you load and unload from the same area? For a traditional coaster setup dual load and dual unload seems like overkill, for Tron it makes sense.
No. Think Gringotts but probably reversed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You'd be surprised how tough it is to have a restraint fail. Most if, not all, modern coasters use a hydraulic lock mechanism and the only way to get it to release is to apply power to it (could vary to each manufacturer). These aren't your 1980/1990 restraints with the simple "click click" lock with a foot pedal release out each car. Hydraulic (can still click, but is usually a smooth pull back) restraints are incredibly strong and typically have a second cylinder as a backup in case of a extreme failure. And even then, a belt (and ride forces) will keep it down.

A lapbar vs OSTR really aren't different. Both hold you in, both have a similar point of failure. One is over your legs and the other is over your shoulder.
Good points, all, but even with multiple locking cylinders, there's still a single point of failure along the lap bar's side bar or central column. Breaking that is highly unlikely, but as we found out at the Ohio State Fair this year, apparently solid structural metal can be corroded or weakened to the point of failure.

On a restraint system for inverted coasters, I'd rather see two independent systems holding people in their seats.

trainplane3

Good points, all, but even with multiple locking cylinders, there's still a single point of failure along the lap bar's side bar or central column. Breaking that is highly unlikely, but as we found out at the Ohio State Fair this year, apparently solid structural metal can be corroded or weakened to the point of failure.

On a restraint system for inverted coasters, I'd rather see two independent systems holding people in their seats.
Good point. In any case, it comes down to good maintenance. Cedar Point and the other seasonal Cedar Fair parks do a complete tear down of their coaster trains and other ride vehicles every winter.

As if anyone had a hard time figuring out, I hold Cedar Point to a very high bar for safety and operations. They can run a park, be extremely safe, have VERY high throughput (Gate Keeper, Valravn, Millennium Force, and Maverick crews are the stand outs this year for me), and have very little down time (20 minutes max for most issues. They replaced Dragsters cable in record time a few years ago and replaced part of the launch system and roll-back brakes in record time this season!). When I see poor operations, I think how CF would be doing it.

I do wonder how often, if at all, Disney does tear downs on their coaster trains. Space Mountain has several trains so I'm sure they could do it easily. RnRC on the other hand, I'm not sure if that is ever stripped down with the exception of refurbs (IF it happens then). Regardless, new trains for RnRC would be great.

TP2000

One station. A better analogy would be BTM but with two loads on the outside and a common unload in the middle.

Or like Disneyland's Small World loading area. Except with trains instead of boats. And music you can dance to. :cool:
it-s-a-small-world-ride.jpg

Dunston

Disney thinks they can have their cake and eat it too by shoving a property popular with a crowd older than, say, SDMT's audience into Epcot, but building a lame and tame ride type that has been seen before already in WDW...

EPICOT

So will this rollercoaster be similar to DL's space mountain except with a launch? Lots of tight turns and long straightaways where you can put projections.

GlacierGlacier

Good point. In any case, it comes down to good maintenance. Cedar Point and the other seasonal Cedar Fair parks do a complete tear down of their coaster trains and other ride vehicles every winter.

As if anyone had a hard time figuring out, I hold Cedar Point to a very high bar for safety and operations. They can run a park, be extremely safe, have VERY high throughput (Gate Keeper, Valravn, Millennium Force, and Maverick crews are the stand outs this year for me), and have very little down time (20 minutes max for most issues. They replaced Dragsters cable in record time a few years ago and replaced part of the launch system and roll-back brakes in record time this season!). When I see poor operations, I think how CF would be doing it.

I do wonder how often, if at all, Disney does tear downs on their coaster trains. Space Mountain has several trains so I'm sure they could do it easily. RnRC on the other hand, I'm not sure if that is ever stripped down with the exception of refurbs (IF it happens then). Regardless, new trains for RnRC would be great.
On the train teardowns issue - I was touring the central shop a few weeks ago, and as part of that they told us their teardown and reconstruction process, as well as showing us those that were in progress. When I was there, they were building a brand new Barnstormer train, rebuilding at least 4 Space Mountain sleds, and appeared to be stocking up for a Mount Everest re-padding. Any time there's an issue on any ride vehicle, no matter how minor, it's flagged, taken to the shop and torn apart. Each piece is inspected, cleaned, replaced if need be, and then put back together. An incredibly thorough process. I don't know about the actual coasters themselves, but trains and such get great treatment.

trainplane3

On the train teardowns issue - I was touring the central shop a few weeks ago, and as part of that they told us their teardown and reconstruction process, as well as showing us those that were in progress. When I was there, they were building a brand new Barnstormer train, rebuilding at least 4 Space Mountain sleds, and appeared to be stocking up for a Mount Everest re-padding. Any time there's an issue on any ride vehicle, no matter how minor, it's flagged, taken to the shop and torn apart. Each piece is inspected, cleaned, replaced if need be, and then put back together. An incredibly thorough process. I don't know about the actual coasters themselves, but trains and such get great treatment.
Oh awesome, that answers that then. I hoped Disney had a program like that. Year-round parks don't have the privilege to do the teardown over winter so there would need to be something else in place. It makes sense that we wouldn't hear much about it since it is Disney and year-round.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom