Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfEpicocity

Beautiful? Really... Wonders of Life is Beautiful? A tribute to the 80's would bow down to that terrible design.

You must've not been inside lately... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's blown away whenever I walk into that pavilion. So peaceful and beautiful. GOTG phase 2 can go elsewhere

Donaldfan1934

You must've not been inside lately... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's blown away whenever I walk into that pavilion. So peaceful and beautiful. GOTG phase 2 can go elsewhere
I'll come down the middle. As a basic structure, it can look very beautiful from the inside. From an aesthetic standpoint, it look like a long dead mall that was last updated in the 1980's.

KingOfEpicocity

I'll come down the middle. As a basic structure, it can look very beautiful from the inside. From an aesthetic standpoint, it look like a long dead mall that was last updated in the 1980's.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. It's less of an asthetic and more of a feeling. That's why I don't wanna see it go! Replace what's inside but just keep the building.

Donaldfan1934

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. It's less of an asthetic and more of a feeling. That's why I don't wanna see it go! Replace what's inside but just keep the building.
I definitely agree with you from the feeling perspective created by the dome itself. That's why I say keep the dome and its ceiling as is, but gut or refurbish any other remaining elements.

Father Robinson

Sorry, I'd love to have the time to read 75 plus pages of this thread, but not surprisingly, I don't. My apologies if this has been discussed but does this mean that the TOT in HS is now safe from being changed into a GotG ride?

V_L_Raptor

When the Frozen overlay first hit our boards, I spent a significant amount of time discussing the direction with fellow Disney Parks & Resorts fans. Our conversations regularly transitioned from Epcot to themed entertainment, including aquariums, museums, and zoos. Although some museums have permanent collections, many have rotating, temporary, traveling, and/or visiting exhibits. Rotation piques interest and boosts attendance. Galleries may change, but the mission statement of the museum remains the same. Generally, contemporary art museums with successful 30+ year histories do not suddenly begin showcasing baroque art in their 35th year.

Like Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom, I believe Epcot needs a permanent collection (i.e., classic attractions). Nostalgia and sentiment aside, the American Adventure and Spaceship Earth are the lifeblood of World Showcase and Future World, respectively. All of the countries surrounding World Showcase Lagoon and the other pavilions in Future World would benefit from rotation. However, the rotation should be guided by the mission statement. Parks & Resorts should bring change to Epcot, but change that continues to inspire interest in new knowledge from science and understanding between nations. Test Track and Soarin' demonstrative that automotive engineering and topography, respectively, can be cool.

I saw this in a Tumblr post recently... Someone had posted pages from an old teacher's guide for field trips to EC. What stuck with me was the line on EPCOT Center's mission statement -- "to provide visitors with an exceptional educational experience that inspires them to actively participate in the shaping of the future."

That's... That's fairly clear cut, all things considered.

SpaceMountain77

I saw this in a Tumblr post recently... Someone had posted pages from an old teacher's guide for field trips to EC. What stuck with me was the line on EPCOT Center's mission statement -- "to provide visitors with an exceptional educational experience that inspires them to actively participate in the shaping of the future."

That's... That's fairly clear cut, all things considered.

Disney Youth Programs oversees educational offerings for elementary- through college-aged students. I am curious to know how a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction will fit within the current programatic offerings:

Experiencing Synergy in Science | Disney Youth Education Series
Investigate the synergy at work in Epcot® attractions, where creativity and technology merge to create world-class entertainment. Then learn to recognize synergy among the tools and systems that help us in our daily life.

Everyday Chemistry | Disney Youth Education Series
Gain a greater understanding of modern chemistry and its practical application through observations and hands-on experiments within Epcot®.

The Evolution of Technology | Disney Youth Education Series
Explore the attractions of Future World at Epcot® to develop an understanding of how human needs and wants drive the development and acceleration of technology.

Regarding the latter, it sounds as though the human need and want of an individual is driving the development and acceleration of an IP.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney Youth Programs oversees educational offerings for elementary- through college-aged students. I am curious to know how a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction will fit within the current programatic offerings:

Experiencing Synergy in Science | Disney Youth Education Series
Investigate the synergy at work in Epcot® attractions, where creativity and technology merge to create world-class entertainment. Then learn to recognize synergy among the tools and systems that help us in our daily life.

Everyday Chemistry | Disney Youth Education Series
Gain a greater understanding of modern chemistry and its practical application through observations and hands-on experiments within Epcot®.

The Evolution of Technology | Disney Youth Education Series
Explore the attractions of Future World at Epcot® to develop an understanding of how human needs and wants drive the development and acceleration of technology.

Regarding the latter, it sounds as though the human need and want of an individual is driving the development and acceleration of an IP.
This^^^^

I'm still having a hard time figuring out how this will work. I guess we'll have to wait to see.

Mike S

Are you seriously implying that the Infinity Stones, objects that are so powerful they can collectively control every possible aspect of the Marvel Universe, have ANY basis in our known reality? I'm sorry, I think you usually have well thought out posts, but please get your Marvel facts straight you claim that "some kind of futuristic looking energy source", aka the Power Stone, could even be considered "a real possibility in our own society".
I wasn't referring to the Infinity Stone as that would be ludicrous. I was implying some kind of tech made by the Xandarians. I know GotG takes place in our present but just like Star Wars which takes place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" all of the tech shown is pretty futuristic compared to what we have on earth.

Donaldfan1934

I wasn't referring to the Infinity Stone as that would be ludicrous. I was implying some kind of tech made by the Xandarians. I know GotG takes place in our present but just like Star Wars which takes place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" all of the tech shown is pretty futuristic compared to what we have on earth.
Thanks for clarifying. It just sounded like you were referring to it by the way it was phrased, that's all.

Mike S

Thanks for clarifying. It just sounded like you were referring to it by the way it was phrased, that's all.
Which is strange because I phrased it that way to specifically avoid the Infinity Stone lol.

All I'm trying to do is make sense of all this and finally accept the direction Disney is taking Ipcot. Doesn't mean I like it but it is what it is. That's why I've somewhat warmed to the idea of the Seas becoming the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory as well.

If they dare touch Spaceship Earth though...

BrerJon

One of the big selling points of UoE when it was first built was the solar panels on the roof, but this pretty much got forgotten over time. Solar is one thing where you could easily stick GotG in. Make it all about the power of the sun, have the ride be a spaceship travelling to research a sun, or maybe a vehicle powered by a solar sail... they could reskin Tron as 'Guardians of the Galaxy Solar Cycle' or something, perhaps?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of the big selling points of UoE when it was first built was the solar panels on the roof, but this pretty much got forgotten over time. Solar is one thing where you could easily stick GotG in. Make it all about the power of the sun, have the ride be a spaceship travelling to research a sun, or maybe a vehicle powered by a solar sail... they could reskin Tron as 'Guardians of the Galaxy Solar Cycle' or something, perhaps?
Stop...you are almost making me think this could work. I'm still in between the denial and anger phases. I'm not ready for acceptance yet;)

Mike S

Taking a que from the current Energy "the power of the sun" makes me think fusion power reactor. Would be a nice nod to UoE as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom