Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S

Disney would be wise to turn The Seas into the Marine Life Institute as quickly as possible, complete with a Living Ocean exhibit and announcements by Sigourney Weaver.
They might as well at this point. If they could also turn the ride into something other than "where's Nemo, again" sign me up. It should be something that actually makes sense to take place in the MLI as well.

KingOfEpicocity

They should just demo the building thats in between ellen and mission space instead close down a ride
I'm honestly surprised people aren't more defensive of WOL. I actually plan my trips around Food and wine just so I can go in there and see it. It's so beautiful and nostalgic. I would much rather see a miss matching IP fill the space than see it gone.

GladToBeHear

Long-time forum reader here, first time poster. A few things I wanted to share. Like so many people on this thread, I'm very passionate about Epcot. It's been my favorite park since I was a kid visiting in the 80's. And it has become one of my kids' favorite parks because of my love for it. I won't retread on the discussions about this park's relevance in it's early days.

Like many of you, I long for the park to return to it's "edutainment" roots. But I don't see that happening. For many of the reasons you guys have already stated. With the public's constant access to technology, world news, information, etc. -- the void this park once filled really isn't there anymore. And it has become difficult and expensive to keep up, obviously.

So I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic and try to embrace the upcoming changes. I will say that I would prefer to see Disney go all-in one way or the other. If we're going to get a park with IP-driven thrill rides and attractions -- then let's totally do it. Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, the WS movies, etc. Everything on the table. And it may seem extreme -- but I THINK I would probably prefer the park be renamed/rebranded. I would like to remember Epcot as what it once was and be able to look at this revamped park as something completely new and different.

On the subject of FW -- I always liked S.W. Wilson's idea of keeping the WoL building intact and attaching it (via a tunnel) to Mission Space. It would serve as a colony on another planet that you travel to (via the M:S ride). The building really lends itself as a dome this way. You could construct a two-dome structure inside with the inside dome as glass. Planet scape and space projected on the outer dome. I think the possibilities within the pavilion would be endless. And they desperately need to randomize the missions on M:S.

Thanks to the insiders for keeping the information trickling in. It keeps these forums relevant. We appreciate it.

**Stacy**

Less people in the parks=less need for FP. I am not sure where Magic Bands/FP+ land on the WDW timeline in comparison to the huge surge in crowd levels. Before magic bands we used to grab fast passes for the "Mountain" rides because pretty much everything else was short lines/no waits(and usually didn't have a bank of FP machines doling out paper FPs.) I used to be big on pre-planning ...folders and binders, plotting out how early entry affected park attendance the next day..but that was pretty much back when you could choose the queue on the left and have a much shorter wait. Since moving close to WDW ,, I adopted a much more relaxed, get there after lunch or later and pick a park after taking the Celebration exit type of park touring..so priority seating reservations and planning rides far in advance just doesn't work for me..so I am not a fan, I like the spiffy magic bands for getting into each park though.

I know when they first rolled out the completed system Staggs was quoted as saying that there was a 40% increase in usage of FP+ over traditional FP. In discussions here in some thread about MM+ there were some stats thrown around that the original system was used by less than half guests and the average guest used less than 3 FPs per day.

Progress.City

@P_Radden made a nice summary:

• Energy is getting a GotG overhaul, green lit.
  • Wonders might get a GotG phase 2, not yet green lit..
  • Communicore (outside of mouse gear and starbucks, possibly club cool) will be updated/overhauled, green lit.
  • Mission Space will get a refurb/update, green lit.
  • There are plans for Imagination, but not green lit.
  • Land will remain as is
  • Seas will remain as is
  • Test Track will remain as is
  • Space Ship Earth will remain as is
I just read this to my sister (another Disney fan) and her reaction was "Space Ship Earth as is?! That vacuums [she didn't say vacuums]. They're not going to finding it?!" She's referring to the ending that remains unfinished.

Phil12

I just read this to my sister (another Disney fan) and her reaction was "Space Ship Earth as is?! That vacuums [she didn't say vacuums]. They're not going to finding it?!" She's referring to the ending that remains unfinished.
They could just leave it the way it is and get Dyson as the sponsor.

spaceghost

I'll just chime in and say that I just find this idea weird. I am just not getting it. I've been on board with Avatar in AK and Muppets in Liberty Square. Frozen doesn't feel right where it is, but I can get it. This just seems... weird. And that's as a huge Marvel Cinematic Universe and GotG fan. But, to echo what others have said, sadly the FW that once was has been dying a long slow death anyway. Heck, back 17 years ago when I started going to the parks on a more regular basis, it already seemed lost. Many of the pavilions have languished for a long time. Mission:Space was one of the last major additions (non-refurb) and it fell flat. Soarin' and Test Track are popular, but are they really in line with the original vision for Future World and EPCOT Center? So, we'll see what comes and hope for something that somehow, someway kind of ends up fitting. And long term we hope for some spark and commitment to figuring things out. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

sedati

I'll just chime in and say that I just find this idea weird. I am just not getting it. I've been on board with Avatar in AK and Muppets in Liberty Square. Frozen doesn't feel right where it is, but I can get it. This just seems... weird. And that's as a huge Marvel Cinematic Universe and GotG fan.
Try this:
Wonders of the Galaxy
Join Peter Quill as he takes you on a tour of the universe that until now had only been available to himself and a thousand alien races.
Real science could be seen though fantastical hosts.
Is a comic book teaching us about space really worse than getting your info on energy from Exxon?
Really have no idea how this will pan out, but I can see it working and am willing to wait and see.

Donaldfan1934

So what, the plot revolves around bad guys trying to steal some kind of futuristic looking energy source that in actuality is not so sci-fi and is something that's a real possibility in our own society and the queue is all about what it is, a little of how it works, etc. until we get to the point where the Guardians come in and we load up to join them?

In this scenario the "teachers" would be the Xandarians where it would be in character.
Are you seriously implying that the Infinity Stones, objects that are so powerful they can collectively control every possible aspect of the Marvel Universe, have ANY basis in our known reality? I'm sorry, I think you usually have well thought out posts, but please get your Marvel facts straight you claim that "some kind of futuristic looking energy source", aka the Power Stone, could even be considered "a real possibility in our own society".

Last edited:

MonkeyHead

I'm honestly surprised people aren't more defensive of WOL. I actually plan my trips around Food and wine just so I can go in there and see it. It's so beautiful and nostalgic. I would much rather see a miss matching IP fill the space than see it gone.

Beautiful? Really... Wonders of Life is Beautiful? A tribute to the 80's would bow down to that terrible design.

MonkeyHead

Are you seriously implying that the Infinity Stones, objects that are so powerful they can collectively control the every possible aspect of the Marvel Universe, have ANY basis in our known reality? I'm sorry, I think you usually have well thought out posts, but please get your Marvel facts straight you claim that "some kind of futuristic looking energy source", aka the Power Stone, could even be considered "a real possibility in our own society".

I'll be honest and say I don't always agree with your posts, but this is spot on.

The Infinity Stones are fictional gems forged from the beginning of the universe. It does not jive with Future World at all.

Not to mention the Guardians exist in the present.

spaceghost

Try this:
Wonders of the Galaxy
Join Peter Quill as he takes you on a tour of the universe that until now had only been available to himself and a thousand alien races.
Is a comic book teaching us about space really worse than getting your info on energy from Exxon?
Really have no idea how this will pan out, but I can see it working and am willing to wait and see.
Thanks for that - that's actually helped me solidify why this feels like a weird fit to me. And it's more as a GotG fan than an Epcot one, really. They just don't fit. Peter Quill wouldn't be doing what you suggested. None of them would. They're all miscreants and borderline sociopaths and criminals. Rocket knows how to tinker - that's it. We're not talking about a Tony Stark, or Reed Richards, or Bruce Banner, or Peter Parker, or Black Panther here. None of them are sciency teacher types. It just doesn't seem to fit. It feels like one of the worst cases of shoehorning an IP into something that I can remember. There's going to need to be some incredibly convincing and creative explanations and back story here. You can see how Nemo connects to the Seas pavilion. You can see how Frozen and its fictional setting, as a story based on Scandinavian culture, has some loose ties to Norway. This, I just am not feeling the fit. GotG in the Studios makes sense. Here... just don't get it. But, I'll wait and see.

MonkeyHead

Try this:
Wonders of the Galaxy

Peter Quill has not been back to Earth since he was abducted as a child. Peter Quill wouldn't care a cent about teaching people.

Your storytelling skills are lacking.

sedati

Are you seriously implying that the Infinity Stones, objects that are so powerful they can collectively control the every possible aspect of the Marvel Universe, have ANY basis in our known reality? I'm sorry, I think you usually have well thought out posts, but please get your Marvel facts straight you claim that "some kind of futuristic looking energy source", aka the Power Stone, could even be considered "a real possibility in our own society".
It is believed all the power in the universe would fit into a tennis ball. You'd never be able to lift it, but still.

sedati

Peter Quill has not been back to Earth since he was abducted as a child. Peter Quill wouldn't care a cent about teaching people.

Your storytelling skills are lacking.
Harsh.
Earth doesn't weigh on his mind? There's a big difference between straight out teaching- like a lecture, and sharing. All I was saying is that the characters have been around and may make for interesting guides. They all seemed pretty gobsmacked when they went to Knowwhere, why can't that be translated to real space environs?
What degree did Michael Jackson hold to qualify him as a teacher at Epcot?

Donaldfan1934

I'll be honest and say I don't always agree with your posts, but this is spot on.

The Infinity Stones are fictional gems forged from the beginning of the universe. It does not jive with Future World at all.

Not to mention the Guardians exist in the present.
Thanks, I really appreciate the back up. While I will say the high tech feel of MCU as a whole gives me a feeling of what tech may look like about 50 years from now, it does in fact take place in the present and none of the tech and natural resources on earth or in space are in any way whatsoever intended to have any basis in reality. Its pure Sci-Fi and has no place in a theme park that was intended to have messages that in some way connect to our day to day lives. Saying the Infinity Stones of all things could convey that is the definition of grasping at straws.

Donaldfan1934

It is believed all the power in the universe would fit into a tennis ball. You'd never be able to lift it, but still.
That may be, but making a truly informative connection between that and the Infinity Stones would be such a stretch that it would end up being too metaphorical and go over most audiences heads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom