Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Thomas

Yeah, that is why replacing Horizons which was for everyone with Mission Space which only certain people can enjoy was a dumb decision.
Ive only seen Horizons on YouTube, def loved it tho! They should have kept it. Im sure its been discussed a million times but what was the reason for closing Horizons?

Goofyernmost

Yeah, that is why replacing Horizons which was for everyone with Mission Space which only certain people can enjoy was a dumb decision.
Except that by the time it was taken out, it had fewer riders then Mission: Space. I liked Horizons too, but, EPCOT consisted of nothing but Omni-rides and the were all basically the same thing. As much as I liked Horizons, it had run it's course and like World of Motion it needed to be changed to something different and more conducive to the wants of the public.

HMF

Except that by the time it was taken out, it had fewer riders then Mission: Space. I liked Horizons too, but, EPCOT consisted of nothing but Omni-rides and the were all basically the same thing. As much as I liked Horizons, it had run it's course and like World of Motion it needed to be changed to something different and more conducive to the wants of the public.
They could have updated it and built Mission Space elsewhere in the park but no that would make too much sense.

Goofyernmost

They could have updated it and built Mission Space elsewhere in the park but no that would make too much sense.
Updated it to what? Everything that related to the future still hasn't happened except the picture phones. How do you update what hasn't happened yet? Doesn't really matter though, it is gone and MS is a good ride, either side, and it is very well done.

HMF

Updated it to what? Everything that related to the future still hasn't happened except the picture phones. How do you update what hasn't happened yet? Doesn't really matter though, it is gone and MS is a good ride, either side, and it is very well done.
I agree that M:S is a good ride. I wish it was a better Pavilion but it's a good ride.

Prince Thomas

LOL awe cmon my Disney friend dont be like that. It DOES matter to some people still it seems. Im happy to see how passionate u are about MS.

HMF

Keep in mind I never really rode Horizons. For years I tried to justify it's closure (after I learned of it's existence) by thinking it was outdated and had to go but the more I read about what it was and why it closed coupled with Mission Space's history makes it really hard to justify.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Keep in mind I never really rode Horizons. For years I tried to justify it's closure after I learned of it's existence) by thinking it was outdated and had to go but the more I read about what it was and why it closed coupled with Mission Space's history makes it really hard to justify.
It was closed because people stopped going. It really is that simple. Could Disney have updated it? Sure, but Eisner decided to go with M:S instead. To me, that was the right decision. To others, not so much. And yes, I have ridden Horizons. ;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It was closed because people stopped going. It really is that simple. Could Disney have updated it? Sure, but Eisner decided to go with M:S instead. To me, that was the right decision. To others, not so much. And yes, I have ridden Horizons. ;)

I believe there's other reasons. There's rumors that they were looking to update the ride, but...

A.) They lost sponsorship, and it seems like Disney didn't pay for the maintenance/upkeep as well as they should have
B.) Actually kept it open a few years later than it would have closed for refresh because Test Track was very late in being completed
C.) By that time a new sponsor stepped up and decided the existing building wouldn't work for what they wanted to build.

HMF

Not exactly.

GE pulled out. Disney upkeep was minimal. They looked for another sponsor. Compaq said they'd pay for a new thrill ride that's sure to be a hit. Disney said build it here, but pay to also clear the land first.

Not so simple.
As I said The sponsorship model did more long term bad than good in Epcot's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom