Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Empress Lilly

Companies such as United Technologies, AT&T, General Electric, General Motors, Exxon and others paid huge amounts to Disney for public relations. The attractions were designed to make those companies look good in the eyes of the consumer. The attractions were not designed to educate people. There was nothing wrong in what they did. It was just a different form of advertising. But make no mistake it's all propaganda pure and simple.

And let's be honest and practical here. The companies have a target audience which includes children. If the big companies can convince young children that they (the companies) make the best products in the world, that kind of advertising has a very powerful effect that could last for a child's entire life. I wonder how many people buy products because they are associated with Disney?

Some of you may recall that years ago all TV's and monitors in WDW were produced by Sony. The TV's in the resort rooms were Sony and the TV's in the attraction queues were also Sony. I used to hear people comment that since Disney used Sony TV sets, they must be superior to other sets. The power of such advertising is immense.
That is sorta true. But EPCOT the city, EPCOT Center the theme park, in all forms, have always been a showcase for American industry. It's what the thing is. The only thing Walt would object to here is Sony being Nip.

At the risk of getting political, is that a bad thing? America is a capitalist country, for better or for worse. And Disney is, for once I'm going to use the phrase!, Disney is a business. You can present energy in a million ways, say as a challenge for tomorrow from the perspective of Big Oil, including having to influence public opinion, or from the perspective of a North Dakota tribe who see a pipeline through their land. Both are worth being informed about, but Disney is not in the business of activism. Republican Walt's sixties dream was not an Experimental Prototype Sex and Drugs Hippie Sit-In (EPS&DHSI).

FigmentForver96

That is sorta true. But EPCOT the city, EPCOT Center the theme park, in all forms, have always been a showcase for American industry. It's what the thing is. The only thing Walt would object to here is Sony being Nip.

At the risk of getting political, is that a bad thing? America is a capitalist country, for better or for worse. And Disney is, for once I'm going to use the phrase!, Disney is a business. You can present energy in a million ways, say as a challenge for tomorrow from the perspective of Big Oil, including having to influence public opinion, or from the perspective of a North Dakota tribe who see a pipeline through their land. Both are worth being informed about, but Disney is not in the business of activism. Republican Walt's sixties dream was not an Experimental Prototype Sex and Drugs Hippie Sit-In (EPS&DHSI).
This. EPCOT Center was a symbol of American pride and international pride. Celebrating the hard work of American companies and also looking at the achivements of mankind.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They could have a GotG attraction sponsored by Siemens AG. ExxonMobil dropped its sponsorship of the Energy Pavilion back in 2004. It would make sense for Disney to pursue Siemens AG since their Disney contract expires in 2017. In consideration of how scandal ridden Siemens has been over the years they can certainly benefit from additional good public relations.
You may have - or not have - noticed this thread has undergone a clean up.

Take that as a warning.

DznyRktekt

Some of you may recall that years ago all TV's and monitors in WDW were produced by Sony. The TV's in the resort rooms were Sony and the TV's in the attraction queues were also Sony. I used to hear people comment that since Disney used Sony TV sets, they must be superior to other sets. The power of such advertising is immense.
I remember this. At the same time Universal had JVC park wide. Doc Brown's video camera was also a JVC in Back to the Future.

Matt_Black

what does that even mean?

Keep your nose clean, or you're going to get... IT.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom