Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeti

I'd rather see a Monsters Inc Energy Pavillion, at least that ties into the idea a smidge and could be fun and educational. Guardians is just a a very movie theme park feel. Disney World has such a park, I wish they'd change over Tower of Terror to Mission:Break Out as it would fit the park better than Epcot. Retheme Rockin' Rollercoaster to Big Hero 6 and you have yourself a Super Hero land to add more teen draw to the park.

And teach us that screams and laughter are the only sources of power that will never run out?

Cmdr_Crimson

I do have to wonder if Starlord's Mix tape will have the Universe of Energy (Feel The Flow) to dance to for a nod to what they are taking over.
Mo91CgI.gif

roj2323

It's amazing to me that this thread is 200 pages long allready and yet the building it's supposedly going into is still operating, there's no permits or drawings and other than some whispers of this actually happening from insiders we have virtually no proof. What have people been talking about for 200 pages?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I only hear "Let's go drink at Epcot, they have booze there and MK doesn't".
That says more about the people you hang out with. And as its been pointed out in the past, its not hard to drink at MK.
Yes the shows in China and France teach some things, but the reaction to those rides are "It's hot out let's go sit down, get cooled off, and take a nap".
Completely untrue, and the fact that you call them "rides" shows that you have a predisposition towards viewing the WS attractions in a manor of your own personal desires. As far as your claim of reactions being, "its hot out, lets go sit down, get cooled off, take a nap", again, I think that speaks more about the people you are associating with and less about how the average guest experiences them.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Because now all of these parents who may have skipped an Epcot visit are now visiting. I hate FROZEN being in Norway but I know a handful of families that now will visit Epcot because of it, who would have passed over the park before.
An what exactly do these families do once they have ridden Frozen Ever After? Do they decide to go experience the rest of the park that they once deemed unworthy and boring? Is SSE suddenly more exciting because Anna and Elsa are a few hundred yards away in Norway pavilion?

HeroOfWDW

That says more about the people you hang out with. And as its been pointed out in the past, its not hard to drink at MK.

Completely untrue, and the fact that you call them "rides" shows that you have a predisposition towards viewing the WS attractions in a manor of your own personal desires. As far as your claim of reactions being, "its hot out, lets go sit down, get cooled off, take a nap", again, I think that speaks more about the people you are associating with and less about how the average guest experiences them.
Yeah that's true. Also, whether it's a show or ride, I still call it a ride :) Easier

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's amazing to me that this thread is 200 pages long allready and yet the building it's supposedly going into is still operating, there's no permits or drawings and other than some whispers of this actually happening from insiders we have virtually no proof. What have people been talking about for 200 pages?
Hot air.

Don't expect work to start for perhaps a year yet. Maybe a little sooner.

Gatorboy

Good question, mostly, I like EPCOT the way it was, or NO IP's, no proper theming, you know , the usual. By topic name, you'd expect to be talking about what the new attraction might be or include.

brb1006

Well, they do take forever. And they are playing the incorrect version of the Soarin music. Which part of that is false?

Do you also enjoy when they mention 7 lands at the MK Welcome Show? It's been 5 years.
I was about to say that they should update the 7 lands for the Welcome Show but that's going away soon. If they did an updated version of the Welcome Show for it's 50th then they could had changed the lands bit.

RoysCabin

UoE desperately needs an update, but an update that remains true to Epcot's theme. So by sanity I mean that, in spite of their seemingly blatant distaste for theme, that cooler heads might for once prevail and prevent a monumental mistake that would propel Epcot past the point of no return.

A GOTG roller coaster and/or attraction is so ridiculously, totally, indisputably off-theme that it would destroy any future hope of Epcot remaining a theme park at all. GOTG would (I and many others fear) relegate Epcot to Six Flags status.

Amusement parks and theme parks are two totally different beasts. WDW and the Walt Disney Company used to not only understand the difference, they capitalized on it-- and created a whole new class of entertainment. It saddens me to think that folks have forgotten that, or perhaps never learned it in the first place.

As recently as the mid-90s, Epcot was still on track. Destroying Horizons and Journey into Imagination started the process that took the heart and soul out of Future World. Had sanity prevailed back then, and those two attractions had been updated instead of destroyed, Epcot would be a lot stronger today.

Bottom line, you can't have a theme park without a theme. Why DisCo chooses to ignore this most basic element of their own business model is beyond my comprehension.

Well said on the topic of "theme" vs. "amusement".

Recently my brother, some friends, and I spent a couple of days in Hershey, PA, and wound up spending half a day or so at Hershey Park. Obviously Hershey does not put the type of money into parks the way a company like Disney does, but while the park was alright for what it was, it never made more than some half-hearted attempts to use theming. There were differently named areas with a few aesthetic differences and maybe differentiated food/drink choices, but nothing particularly thorough or even on the level of a Busch Gardens.

This isn't to really knock Hershey: it is what it is, and it does what it does pretty well. But when you ditch theme for sheer amusement, you open yourself up to an arms race with any local competition, where now you must have the tallest ride, or the fastest ride, or the more inversions or what have you, rather than letting the strength of your theming and overall atmosphere carry the day and make park patrons more invested in the totality of the park experience, even if said park doesn't have record breaking coasters in it.

If Disney keeps losing sight of theme, they risk entering, at least in the Orlando market, such a relationship with Universal, where it becomes a need to outdo one another in transient, temporary thrill terms rather than each focusing on their core strengths and building a long term fans via a completely immersive experience. I have to think that over the long haul such an approach may actually be less cost effective; strong theming can keep you from having to completely update something for a decent stretch of time (assuming regular and proper upkeep/maintenance) because people actually want to be within the confines of your park and will pay for the pleasure of walking around and being in it, rather than simply using your park as a means of transit to get from one ride to the next with as little distraction as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom